PDA

View Full Version : Dictatorship or Constitutional Republic?

Joey Fuller
08-02-2011, 08:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mmAemEhcys

osan
08-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Isn't any nation where one is compelled to comply with the mandates of arbitrary statute under threats of physical violence and death a dictatorship?

jmdrake
08-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Great video! You know what's scary? I was with some of my relatives this weekend who are strong Obama supporters. A few of them expressed the "Obama could fix the economy if the republicans weren't blocking him" sentiment. I tried to explain that Obama had both houses of congress for the first two years of his presidency, got whatever economic bills he wanted passed, and the economy didn't improve. My uncle went so far as to say that the only way Obama can "fix" the economy is if he was a dictator. :eek: Oh yeah, and this uncle is a 33rd degree mason. :( I wonder if he realizes that Obama "fixing" the economy is the same way the humane society "fixes" a stray cat or dog?

Joey Fuller
08-03-2011, 06:17 AM
I also had the opportunity to speak to a family of Obama supporters..

about 1 wk ago, the television was on in the background... with propaganda about the debt ceiling and how grandparents everywhere would starve to death, because Obama wouldn't be able to cut them a check...

The Obama supporters remarked that OBama is doing a good job.. but the Republicans won't let him accomplish anything.

I reminded them that bin Laden and Hussein was dead and that would could save a lot of money by bringing our troops home..

Some of the Obama group were receptive to that comment.. but others were like "He's trying to bring them home, but no one will let him"

arghh.

jmdrake
08-04-2011, 08:50 AM
I also had the opportunity to speak to a family of Obama supporters..

about 1 wk ago, the television was on in the background... with propaganda about the debt ceiling and how grandparents everywhere would starve to death, because Obama wouldn't be able to cut them a check...

The Obama supporters remarked that OBama is doing a good job.. but the Republicans won't let him accomplish anything.

I reminded them that bin Laden and Hussein was dead and that would could save a lot of money by bringing our troops home..

Some of the Obama group were receptive to that comment.. but others were like "He's trying to bring them home, but no one will let him"

arghh.

LOL. I had that same conversation with my uncle! I pointed out that as commander in chief Obama can just leave. He started giving republican talking points like if the troops are just pulled out they'll be killed (ignoring the "phased withdrawal" argument) and he said we couldn't pull the military contractors out of Iraq because they were under the control of congress. (I'm not sure where he read that in the constitution). I at least got him to agree that there was no reason to continue the war in Libya since there aren't any troops on the ground to pull out. But if/when we introduce ground troops the same stupid argument will apply there. And what about the fact that initially the dems controlled both houses of congress as well? We've got our work cut out for us. :(

Pericles
08-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Oh yeah, and this uncle is a 33rd degree mason. :( I wonder if he realizes that Obama "fixing" the economy is the same way the humane society "fixes" a stray cat or dog?

Is there a way to remind Uncle of the lessons taught in the 9th, 10th, and 11th degrees?

Travlyr
08-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Isn't any nation where one is compelled to comply with the mandates of arbitrary statute under threats of physical violence and death a dictatorship?

Civilly yes; Criminally? What's the better way?

There are billions of people and only a few thousand tyrants in charge. As the criminals do their best to avoid the rushing mobs, should not the people have the legal structure to correct the injustices?

Anti Federalist
08-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Of course it's a dictatorship.

As the law stand right now, you an American citizen, can be declared an enemy combatant, whisked off to foreign nation for torture and execution, all with no judicial oversight and no bill of rights protections.

jmdrake
08-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Is there a way to remind Uncle of the lessons taught in the 9th, 10th, and 11th degrees?

Well I have no idea what's taught in degree 1 so I couldn't do that. Please enlighten me.

Pericles
08-04-2011, 10:45 PM
Well I have no idea what's taught in degree 1 so I couldn't do that. Please enlighten me.
Good overview here:

http://www.freemasons-freemasonry.com/plumbline1.html