PDA

View Full Version : Congressman Walter Jones wrote me back

asurfaholic
08-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Here's his letter, I asked him to please NOT vote for debt limit increase under any circumstances - saying that spending cuts should be the focus.

Here's his response. I wanted to see what you guys thought about this, especially the part where he says he is the only one who voted no on every single final passage that would increase the debt limit... What about Ron Paul?

Dear Mr. Collier:

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about the recent debt ceiling crisis. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts, and I am happy to respond.

As you may know, I voted against S. 365 – the final bill negotiated between President Barack Obama and House and Senate Leadership which will allow the President to raise the debt ceiling by up to $2.4 trillion. This increase in the debt limit is the largest in U.S. history. I am the only member of Congress to have voted against final passage of every single increase in the debt limit over the last seven years.

While I was pleased that the Speaker of the House was able to overcome the President's original request for a blank check to increase deficit spending without cuts, and then his insistence that a debt limit increase be paid for with tax increases and phantom spending reductions, I had serious concerns with the final deal. This bill allows the President to increase the debt limit by $2.4 trillion over the next 6 months, while the promised spending reductions would take place over the next 10 years - assuming no future Congress undoes those cuts. Further - even if the reductions stay in effect - the Congressional Budget Office projects that federal spending will still go up each and every year of the ten year agreement, with the government adding at least another $4 trillion in deficit spending over those ten years.

I am also troubled with the unbalanced reductions required by the bill, and the impact they could have on Eastern North Carolina. While defense spending constitutes roughly 1/6th of current federal spending, the bill would require that half of future cuts come from defense. That could have serious consequences for America's ability to defend itself, and for Eastern North Carolina's military bases. The bill would also leave veterans funding open to cuts. Furthermore while funding for Eastern North Carolina veterans and military bases would be on the chopping block, the bill protects overseas spending in Iraq and Afghanistan from cuts. The bill also allows spending on optional "discretionary programs" to rise by over $200 billion dollars, yet subjects Eastern North Carolina hospitals, doctors and seniors to Medicare cuts.

Cutting funding for Eastern North Carolina bases and our veterans while expanding funding for overseas wars is an unacceptable proposition. Allowing increases in spending on discretionary programs at the same time you are cutting medical benefits just makes no common sense. There is no doubt that federal spending must be cut dramatically if this nation hopes to get back on its feet. But under this legislation total spending and debt continue to rise, and the cuts that actually are made are unbalanced. Unfortunately, I believe this bill missed the mark.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Walter B. Jones
Member of Congress

TheTyke
08-03-2011, 01:54 AM
Really disappointed about this one... had a soft spot for Walter Jones. :(

rp08orbust
08-03-2011, 02:07 AM
Is it the failure to mention Ron Paul in the bolded sentence that you're disappointed with, or is there more in the letter to be disappointed with?