PDA

View Full Version : Debt-limit Deal's Trojan Horse: The "Special" Committee of 12

FrankRep
08-02-2011, 02:29 PM
http://www.thenewamerican.com/images/stories2011/06aJuly/boehner2-ap.001.jpg

The 12-member Joint Committee of Congress will recommend tax increases to close the government deficit under the Revised Budget Control Act of 2011.

Debt-limit Deal's Trojan Horse: The "Special" Committee of 12 (http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/politics/8433-debt-ceiling-deals-trojan-horse-the-special-committee-of-12)

Bob Adelmann | The New American (http://www.thenewamerican.com/)
02 August 2011

dejavu22
08-02-2011, 02:55 PM
I know we are against the committee in the first place but we should approach it from all angles. With that in mind what we need to do is draft a bill and have Ron start pushing it to ban all Lobbyist from having any contact with anyone who is named to the 12 man committee from the day the names are announced until the day that the committee is dissolved. No meetings, no donations, no phone calls, and figure out some appropiate and severe punishment for the committee members if they violate the rules.

This is something that should get extremely easy populist support and if it is sucessful will only further the Paul brand by cementing his anti lobbyist position. Beyond that it will only further discredit those who argue against it and if it is successful perhaps all lobbyist can be removed from congress all together. /pipe dream

What do you guys think? Yes no maybe so. IMO this could be the one way that we could use this super congress legislation that honestly we have little power to stop to our advantage.

virgil47
08-02-2011, 05:31 PM
I know we are against the committee in the first place but we should approach it from all angles. With that in mind what we need to do is draft a bill and have Ron start pushing it to ban all Lobbyist from having any contact with anyone who is named to the 12 man committee from the day the names are announced until the day that the committee is dissolved. No meetings, no donations, no phone calls, and figure out some appropiate and severe punishment for the committee members if they violate the rules.

This is something that should get extremely easy populist support and if it is sucessful will only further the Paul brand by cementing his anti lobbyist position. Beyond that it will only further discredit those who argue against it and if it is successful perhaps all lobbyist can be removed from congress all together. /pipe dream

What do you guys think? Yes no maybe so. IMO this could be the one way that we could use this super congress legislation that honestly we have little power to stop to our advantage.

This sounds very, very good to me. Keep as many outside influences away from those with their fingers around our throats as is possible.

Brian4Liberty
08-02-2011, 07:28 PM
This story is a day late and a couple of trillion dollars short.

Seraphim
08-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Trojan horse indeed. If this thing comes to light and get's used as I think it will be- I'm afraid the midnight hour is upon us.

Aratus
08-02-2011, 07:34 PM

This sounds very, very good to me. Keep as many outside influences away from those with their fingers around our throats as is possible.

the above idea has an impelling logic given the power handed to the twelve who are to be THE COMMITTEE

Brian4Liberty
08-02-2011, 08:01 PM
the above idea has an impelling logic given the power handed to the twelve who are to be THE COMMITTEE

Why does this have a Soviet feel to it?

Echoes
08-02-2011, 08:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUBMRp7fkgk

Carehn
08-02-2011, 08:13 PM

not possible. you would just have illegal lobbyists. not only that but you would be violating the rigts of the lobbyists. force cannot fix the problems caused by force.

I don't know exactly how but the law outlawing lobbyists from these people would turn around and bit us. They would change the names of the powerful lobbyists and call them something else why outlawing you from calling them at all.

That may not be how it goes down but by now we should all understand that laws never seem to work out in our favor.

Carehn
08-02-2011, 08:14 PM

how cute it is you think they represent us.

dejavu22
08-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Why does this have a Soviet feel to it?

Oh don't worry I'm puking as I'm saying it but i am trying to figure out a way to play the game on this one. I just think it is a good way further differentiate us and on an issue that will get widespread support from most people other than establishment R and Ds.

not possible. you would just have illegal lobbyists. not only that but you would be violating the rigts of the lobbyists. force cannot fix the problems caused by force.

I don't know exactly how but the law outlawing lobbyists from these people would turn around and bit us. They would change the names of the powerful lobbyists and call them something else why outlawing you from calling them at all.

That may not be how it goes down but by now we should all understand that laws never seem to work out in our favor.

I understand as much but if it is against the house rules, we can at least keep the lobbying to a minimum and if we can prove actual rule breaking then we can possibly get a censure or something out of it. Lobbying will more than likely still occur and we will more than likely not be able to prove it but this can be our "save the children" type worthless populist gesture. Also if there is a scandal due to rule breaking the ball could get rolling in the anti lobbyist direction.

This would be pure politics but imo there are few if any negatives to it due to public sentiment.

Napoleon's Shadow
08-02-2011, 09:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX52UkQYJTA

virgil47
08-03-2011, 06:09 PM
how cute it is you think they represent us.

Did I say they represent us? No! They only represent their own self interest. If effectively isolated they cannot get into too much trouble as they do not have the intellect required. They must be given instructions before they are capable of doing anything!

acptulsa
08-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Somebody may have been reading this site.

He possibly could have thought up the 'Trojan Horse' angle himself. So maybe we should give him the benefit of the doubt. But I think someone was coming here for story ideas...

Hope he gave hillbilly a +rep as well.

Zippyjuan
08-03-2011, 07:08 PM
It is my understanding that the committee is only to recomend things- Congress still has to accept or reject them when they write any laws. There have been something like a half dozen similar panels already looking into the budget and making proposals. They don't have the power to set law themselves.

The 12-member Joint Committee of Congress will recommend