PDA

View Full Version : FL-Town of Oak Hill dissolves entire police force after corruption accusations.

Anti Federalist
08-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Good for them.

Wouldn't mind seeing more of this.

Oak Hill Dissolves City Police Force

OAK HILL, Fla. -- The city of Oak Hill in Volusia County has dissolved its police force.

City leaders were set to discuss the Oak Hill Police Department's status Friday following a number of issues, including pot plants found on Mayor Mary Lee Cook's property, which she said she believes were placed by someone from the police staff.

However, instead of a discussion, the commissioners voted 3-2 Monday night to dissolve the force.

Police Chief Diane Young and her six sworn officers were asked to turn in their guns and badges.

City officials said the county has shifted some resources to cover Oak Hill immediately in terms of responding to law enforcement calls.

In the past, city leaders said, there have been several proposed contracts for the Volusia County Sheriff's Office to take over. So, assuming that the city wants to contract with the sheriff's department, that will have to be put in place.

Read more: http://www.wesh.com/news/28733774/detail.html#ixzz1TtkBb1VG

nobody's_hero
08-02-2011, 02:02 PM
I don't know how it works elsewhere, but in Georgia, people who live in the city have the right to request county resources (police, fire), because if you live within the city limits, you pay city taxes on top of county taxes as well.

I would never live in the city, though (although the bastards keep trying to annex everything outside their borders, so one day, I'll probably find myself on the wrong side of the dotted line). I'll take an elected sheriff over an appointed chief any day of the week (even though we have some bad sheriffs out there).

coastie
08-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Good for them.

Wouldn't mind seeing more of this.

Oak Hill Dissolves City Police Force

OAK HILL, Fla. -- The city of Oak Hill in Volusia County has dissolved its police force.

City leaders were set to discuss the Oak Hill Police Department's status Friday following a number of issues, including pot plants found on Mayor Mary Lee Cook's property, which she said she believes were placed by someone from the police staff.

However, instead of a discussion, the commissioners voted 3-2 Monday night to dissolve the force.

Police Chief Diane Young and her six sworn officers were asked to turn in their guns and badges.

City officials said the county has shifted some resources to cover Oak Hill immediately in terms of responding to law enforcement calls.

In the past, city leaders said, there have been several proposed contracts for the Volusia County Sheriff's Office to take over. So, assuming that the city wants to contract with the sheriff's department, that will have to be put in place.

Read more: http://www.wesh.com/news/28733774/detail.html#ixzz1TtkBb1VG

This happened in a local municipality around here in the early '90's. Bay County Sheriff Office took over, guess where some of the biggest douche cops went? And guess where they patrolled??? :eek::rolleyes::mad:

They'll just end up jacking everyone's taxes up to pay for the counties' kewl man-explosion-APC-Flashy Bangies SWATNavySEAL teams and such, because it will "stress their resources" and all having to take over...:mad:

libertybrewcity
08-02-2011, 03:25 PM
good news

DamianTV
08-02-2011, 04:50 PM
I'll bet that the crooked cops that lost their jobs will eventually get cop jobs somewhere else and will eventually tazer, shoot, or beat someone to death over something completely trivial, like jaywalking.

speciallyblend
08-02-2011, 05:08 PM
any cop that wants to plant marijuana on my property can't be that bad:)