PDA

View Full Version : Jon Stewart on those damn stubborn Tea Partiers.

AuH20
08-02-2011, 09:26 AM
The traffic light comment was funny.

http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/08/jon-stewart-rails-against-the-tea-partys-refusal-to-compromise-on-debt-deal-video.php?ref=fpb

Travlyr
08-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Jon Stewart doesn't understand what the tea party is so angry about. The conservative faction of Congress successfully demanded huge spending cuts without tax revenue in a deal to increase the debt ceiling.

"Go ahead tea party congress-people," Stewart said last night. "Put on your tri-corner hats, play your fifes and dance the minuet. Tea party like it's 1799."

But many tea partiers insisted the spending cuts didn't go far enough. "What the fee-fi-fo fuck?" Stewart said. "Take the win. What are you so angry about? Yes, government still exists. We still have traffic lights, we're sorry. Not everybody defines freedom as the ability to not pay taxes."

"Government isn't perfect," he added. "But some people wish it was better, not gone."
http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/08/jon-stewart-rails-against-the-tea-partys-refusal-to-compromise-on-debt-deal-video.php?ref=fpb

What say you?

Why give the media minions fodder for painting the Tea Party as extremists when in fact the immediate solution is a return to Constitutional principles, the Bill of Rights, and rule of law. Ron Paul suggested that in the early years of our country some of our ancestors enjoyed a relative voluntary society. Achieving that state of being again is a welcome step to an even higher level of liberty, peace, and prosperity. The sooner the better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y3ErgqYAso&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y3ErgqYAso&feature=player_embedded

Ron Paul 2012
Defender of Liberty and supporter of the Constitution

Edit: Ron Paul is no longer in favor of the death penalty... see "Liberty Defined"

nobody's_hero
08-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Well, he's in for a rude awakening, for sure. I think it actually struck a nerve with him, you could tell by his tone. Jon Stewart wasn't being his lighthearted self here.

bwlibertyman
08-02-2011, 10:31 AM
This just speaks to the mentality that liberals like Jon Stewart have. They never think about how government is about taking money from someone to give to someone else. They always think about the ends and if the means justify the ends then it doesn't matter.

Travlyr
08-02-2011, 10:37 AM
This just speaks to the mentality that liberals like Jon Stewart have. They never think about how government is about taking money from someone to give to someone else. They always think about the ends and if the means justify the ends then it doesn't matter.
Absolutely. Unfortunately, they have the bully pulpit at the moment. Did you hear all the cheers from the people who were government schooled and still sucking on the entitlement teat? Rah rah shish boom bah... higher taxes and spending for ME!

gls
08-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Yeah I happened to see this when flipping channels last night, probably the most egregious liberal screed I've ever witnessed. Yet people will probably continue to defend him as unbiased or "just a comedian".

nobody's_hero
08-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Yeah I happened to see this when flipping channels last night, probably the most egregious liberal screed I've ever witnessed. Yet people will probably continue to defend him as unbiased or "just a comedian".

I think he used to be unbiased. At least, he was more like the creators of South Park (as you may know if you are familiar with the cartoon, *nothing* is sacred on South Park, those guys make fun of everything). Now, it looks more and more like he's pulling political weight and I think it has spoiled his character. I hardly ever watch his show anymore.

Chieppa1
08-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Ignore and push back. Best why to shut these people up is to, I don't know..., prove ourselves right.

NewRightLibertarian
08-02-2011, 10:49 AM
I think he used to be unbiased. At least, he was more like the creators of South Park (as you may know if you are familiar with the cartoon, *nothing* is sacred on South Park, those guys make fun of everything). Now, it looks more and more like he's pulling political weight and I think it has spoiled his character. I hardly ever watch his show anymore.

He isn't funny anymore. He's just a biased political hack pushing a lefty agenda. Piss on him and his unfunny comments and the idiot lackeys in the audience who hang on his every word.

dannno
08-02-2011, 10:59 AM

Some of his bits are good, some of his bits are written by frothing progressives and he reads the placards.

Mildly irresponsible at best, but I don't think the agenda is driven by him so much.

KingRobbStark
08-02-2011, 11:02 AM
I never thought he was funny, and stupidity should never be mistaken for comedy.

dannno
08-02-2011, 11:04 AM
I never thought he was funny, and stupidity should never be mistaken for comedy.

No, he says very smart stuff sometimes if you pay attention a lot. Other times it's not terribly smart, just really funny. Other times it is like the clip in the OP.

affa
08-02-2011, 11:30 AM

I watch him every night. He shreds Obama -- absolutely shreds him -- on a regular basis. He also shreds the Tea Party - but mostly just Bachmann and her husband, and the occasional bit like the one referenced here.

I don't agree with him on everything -- but I don't need to agree with someone to listen to them. And he often hits the nail on the head, too -- his bits on how our gov't is treating 9/11 responders are fantastic.

Overall, hilarious and well worth watching, as long as you can stomach him getting some things wrong. But if you can't stomach someone getting some things wrong, you shouldn't listen to anyone, even yourself.

TheeJoeGlass
08-02-2011, 11:41 AM
The thing that bugs me about Stewart is last week he does a bit on operation gun runner, which is a perfect example of how fucked up our government is, but then defends it as if it was the last line of defense for the poor common man. It is not. Stewart has become unwatchable for me, same with Colbert.

surf
08-02-2011, 11:42 AM
i watch the show every night - and some of the stories really do conform with "our" views and some don't. the bit they ran on the SF ban of Happy Meals was brilliant. it isn't worth getting all mad at Jon and retwittering his ignorance on debt. he can be our friend on many issues important to social libertarians and many RP republicans: anti-war, pro-pot, etc.

Stewart spent the weekend in Afghanistan listening to propoganda from generals and entertaining the grunts. while seemingly anti-war, Stewart probably came away convinced that all these poor soles were going to die at the hands of the Taliban if the debt ceiling is not raised. he devoted his benign second segment to this trip.

just remember - he seems to admire Ron Paul and expressed profound respect during both of his visits to the Daily Show. Ron has gone from being referred to as "Mr. Pickles" to being the only current candidate - including Obama - that is not ridiculed by his show (nor Colbert's for that matter).

Schiff_FTW
08-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Ron has gone from being referred to as "Mr. Pickles" to being the only current candidate - including Obama - that is not ridiculed by his show (nor Colbert's for that matter).

This is because they have decided the best route is to ignore him instead.

AGRP
08-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Ive never understood why people who are supposed fans of liberty continue to value statists.

RabbitMan
08-02-2011, 12:23 PM
The Daily Show is an excellent piece of programming. Any person tuning in or reading the information they have would probably feel the same way about the Tea Partiers.

"What? We're going to have $1 trillion in immediate cuts and multiple trillions in longer-term cuts, equal to the debt ceiling raise AND make a bi-partisan commission on reducing the deficit!? What more do they want?"

Within the context of the whole debate, we know that these immediate cuts are not 'immediate' and that the long-term trillions don't have any legal backing since future Congresses may choose to ignore them(but who cares since they are reductions in increases), and that commissions have done next to nothing throughout their existence. Without the context, it sounds like the Tea Partiers are a bunch of whiny extremists. Don't blame a satirical news show for discussing the narrative of the news, they can't always see through the BS.

dannno
08-02-2011, 12:28 PM
The Daily Show is an excellent piece of programming. Any person tuning in or reading the information they have would probably feel the same way about the Tea Partiers.

"What? We're going to have $1 trillion in immediate cuts and multiple trillions in longer-term cuts, equal to the debt ceiling raise AND make a bi-partisan commission on reducing the deficit!? What more do they want?"

Within the context of the whole debate, we know that these immediate cuts are not 'immediate' and that the long-term trillions don't have any legal backing since future Congresses may choose to ignore them(but who cares since they are reductions in increases), and that commissions have done next to nothing throughout their existence. Without the context, it sounds like the Tea Partiers are a bunch of whiny extremists. Don't blame a satirical news show for discussing the narrative of the news, they can't always see through the BS.

Ya, that's really a big part of it. They are working off a completely different narrative than we are, as are most Americans.

bwlibertyman
08-02-2011, 03:58 PM
I don't like how this is where people get their information from. I've seriously talked to people that say "well I heard on the Jon Stewart show that..." I mean seriously. Some people really get their information from this show because they want to learn and laugh at the same time.

heavenlyboy34
08-02-2011, 04:43 PM
/facepalm @ Stewart

heavenlyboy34
08-02-2011, 04:46 PM
I don't like how this is where people get their information from. I've seriously talked to people that say "well I heard on the Jon Stewart show that..." I mean seriously. Some people really get their information from this show because they want to learn and laugh at the same time.
That is one reason why the system is fucked up. People (including politicians) often get their "information" from entertainment shows and propaganda outlets like Faux news. /facepalm

mport1
08-02-2011, 05:06 PM
If only the Tea Party were anarchists or even for small government. Unfortunately, with the exception of maybe Rand Paul, they are all big government statists.

TheeJoeGlass
08-02-2011, 06:23 PM
This is because they have decided the best route is to ignore him instead.

Exactly, and Stewart just hit Ron a couple of weeks ago. Colbert hits Rand for silly crap but refuses to cover the stuff that Rand has done that he agrees with.

Teaser Rate
08-02-2011, 06:45 PM
I thought he laid out the liberal position on the debt ceiling very clearly and eloquently.

It is somewhat hypocritical to threaten to bring down the government because of a large deficit after voting to increase it with a tax cut extension just a few months prior.

mport1
08-02-2011, 08:50 PM
I thought he laid out the liberal position on the debt ceiling very clearly and eloquently.

It is somewhat hypocritical to threaten to bring down the government because of a large deficit after voting to increase it with a tax cut extension just a few months prior.

Not raising the debt ceiling does not equal bringing down the government. Man I wish it was that easy.