PDA

View Full Version : Judge blocks Kan. law defunding Planned Parenthood

libertybrewcity
08-02-2011, 12:21 AM
An incredulous federal judge on Monday rejected the state's claim that a new Kansas statute that denied Planned Parenthood federal funding did not target the group, ruling that the law unconstitutionally intended to punish Planned Parenthood for advocating for abortion rights and would likely be overturned.

U.S. District Judge J. Thomas Marten granted the request from Planned Parenthood of Kansas and Mid-Missouri for a temporary injunction blocking enforcement of the law, which would require the state to allocate federal family planning dollars first to public health departments and hospitals, and leave no money for Planned Parenthood or similar groups.

Marten agreed with Planned Parenthood's argument that the Kansas law is unconstitutional because it would impose additional restrictions on a federally-funded program, thereby violating the Supremacy Clause. He also agreed with the group's contention that the law was intended to punish Planned Parenthood for advocating abortion rights and therefore infringes on its rights of association guaranteed by the First and Fourteenth amendments.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gcxivwi_ug2omdLCmy7G9G5N4pXg?docId=edce9ddd0 b85463eb22cea777076a853

Kregisen
08-02-2011, 01:13 AM
What I find the most interesting is the people who try so hard to defund planned parenthood are the same people who want to keep giving money to Israel's government so their government can give 10,000 free abortions a year.

Yes, Israel has government run healthcare and gives out abortions...and we give their government billions a year. Since money is fungible, we are paying for their abortions.

LibertyEagle
08-02-2011, 01:30 AM
What I find the most interesting is the people who try so hard to defund planned parenthood are the same people who want to keep giving money to Israel's government so their government can give 10,000 free abortions a year.

Yes, Israel has government run healthcare and gives out abortions...and we give their government billions a year. Since money is fungible, we are paying for their abortions.

Really? Are you sure about that? Since when is anyone in this movement FOR government handouts of any kind; much less for killing babies? Where do you think Ron Paul stands on that? Do you think he advocates government paying for abortion? We both know the answer to that one.

Sola_Fide
08-02-2011, 01:57 AM

Yes, also in Africa. We've got to make pro-lifers understand the evil of foreign aid.

dannno
08-02-2011, 02:26 AM
Really? Are you sure about that? Since when is anyone in this movement FOR government handouts of any kind; much less for killing babies? Where do you think Ron Paul stands on that? Do you think he advocates government paying for abortion? We both know the answer to that one.

I think they were referring to the majority of people who have been advocating defending Planned Parenthood publicly, who are not Ron Paul supporters and probably support aid to Israel.

I can't think of a soul here who would advocate Federal subsidies to Planned Parenthood or Israel.

Kregisen
08-02-2011, 02:54 AM
I think they were referring to the majority of people who have been advocating defending Planned Parenthood publicly, who are not Ron Paul supporters and probably support aid to Israel.

I can't think of a soul here who would advocate Federal subsidies to Planned Parenthood or Israel.

Yeah I'm referring to the people who are hellbent against planned parenthood yet support Israel's government with a passion...sure there are people like LE who do try to defund PP with a passion and don't support Israel's abortions, but far and few between compared to most republicans.

GunnyFreedom
08-02-2011, 03:39 AM
A legislature is empowered by the people who elected them to allocate a State budget as they see fit. The notion that ANY goup has some kind of 'Constitutional right' to taxpayer money as a condition of their 1st amendment is ludicrous and insane. This judge would appear delusional.

erowe1
08-02-2011, 05:01 AM
U.S. District Judge J. Thomas Marten granted the request from Planned Parenthood of Kansas and Mid-Missouri for a temporary injunction blocking enforcement of the law, which would require the state to allocate federal family planning dollars first to public health departments and hospitals, and leave no money for Planned Parenthood or similar groups.

How exactly does that work? If the state just ignores the ruling, the judge can't make them give PP money.