PDA

View Full Version : UK authorities: "Anarchists" should be reported to the police

gls
08-01-2011, 12:07 PM
This article is full of fail. First it gives the more-or-less correct definition of anarchists as people who want a stateless society, but then toward the end it says that "anarchists" were involved in violent demonstrations against spending cuts. Umm... sounds more like out-of-control, entitled leftists to me. Not to mention the whole absurdity of targeting someone for their peaceful political beliefs.

Not that I'm surprised. Time and again England somehow makes America seem like a free country.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/jul/31/westminster-police-anarchist-whistleblower-advice

What should you do if you discover an anarchist living next door? Dust off your old Sex Pistols albums and hang out a black and red flag to make them feel at home? Invite them round to debate the merits of Peter Kropotkin's anarchist communism versus the individualist anarchism of Emile Armand? No – the answer, according to an official counter-terrorism notice circulated in London last week, is that you must report them to police immediately.

This was the surprising injunction from the Metropolitan Police issued to businesses and members of the public in Westminster last week. There was no warning about other political groups, but next to an image of the anarchist emblem, the City of Westminster police's "counter terrorist focus desk" called for anti-anarchist whistleblowers stating: "Anarchism is a political philosophy which considers the state undesirable, unnecessary, and harmful, and instead promotes a stateless society, or anarchy. Any information relating to anarchists should be reported to your local police."

The move angered some anarchists who complained that being an anarchist should not imply criminal behaviour. They said they feel unfairly criminalised for holding a set of political beliefs.

The feeling of disproportion was compounded by the briefing note author making a similar request about Islamist terrorists a few lines further down. Under an image of flag with a gold dot beneath some Arabic script it added: "Often seen used by al-Qaida in Iraq. Any sightings of these images should be reported to your local police."

"It unfairly implies that anyone involved in anarchism should be known to the police and is involved in an dangerous activity," said Jason Sands, an anarchist from South London. "There is nothing inherently criminal about political philosophy whatever it is. The police work under the convention on human rights which disallows discrimination against people because of their political beliefs and even the request for information would seem to be in breach of that. It also seems to be a bit useless as a way of gathering intelligence. It isn't focused on anything specific and they are just asking for general information. Imagine calling up and saying 'there's an anarchist in my building. What should I do?' It doesn't make sense."

The note was issued from Belgravia Police Station as part of Project Griffin which aims to "advise and familiarise managers, security officers and employees of large public and private sector organisations across the capital on security, counter-terrorism and crime prevention issues".

Sean Smith, external relations officer for Solfed, the British section of the anarcho-syndicalist International Workers' Association, said of the call for whistleblowers: "It's pretty absurd, but not surprising, when the state seeks to criminalise ideas it deems to be dangerous to its own survival".

"We are a revolutionary union initiative," he explained. "Members of our organisation believe in bringing about radical social change through workplace and community organising, not acts of terrorism. We have made extensive information about our ideas and strategy freely available online."

Small groups of anarchists masked and dressed in black did cause some damage to shop windows in central London during anti-cuts demonstrations in the Spring, but there has been little activity of late. The next big anarchist event in London appears hardly likely to concern the police. It is a book fair in October with "all-day cabaret starring assorted ranters, poets, singers and comics; all-day film showings and two kids' spaces".

ChaosControl
08-01-2011, 01:35 PM
I'd rather report the police to the anarchists.

heavenlyboy34
08-01-2011, 01:38 PM
lolz :D qft!

Seraphim
08-01-2011, 01:39 PM
LMFAO. Anarchists who oppose government cuts?

Next they will be telling us that homosexual men are attracted to women.

Edit: England is a nightmare.

INGSOC FOR ALL!!!

Anti Federalist
08-01-2011, 02:00 PM
i'd rather report the police to the anarchists.

rofl!

roho76
08-01-2011, 02:13 PM
I say just start making false reports from a Payphone and give false data. Make them chase their tails. This stuff is ridiculous.

Seraphim
08-01-2011, 02:16 PM
"Yes, hi. I'd like to report a pack of anarchists near Big Ben. Their tight logical arguments against statist mob rule are hurting my brain. It's quite unerving."

I say just start making false reports from a Payphone and give false data. Make them chase their tails. This stuff is ridiculous.

josh b
08-01-2011, 02:28 PM

"Yes, hi. I'd like to report a pack of anarchists near Big Ben. Their tight logical arguments against statist mob rule is hurting my brain. It's quite unerving."

I'm liking this thread.

A Son of Liberty
08-01-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm liking this thread.

Yeah, I'm spreading some rep love around! :)

Anti Federalist
08-01-2011, 06:19 PM
This was the surprising injunction from the Metropolitan Police issued to businesses and members of the public in Westminster last week. There was no warning about other political groups, but next to an image of the anarchist emblem, the City of Westminster police's "counter terrorist focus desk" called for anti-anarchist whistleblowers stating: "Anarchism is a political philosophy which considers the state undesirable, unnecessary, and harmful, and instead promotes a stateless society, or anarchy. Any information relating to anarchists should be reported to your local police."

The UK's version of the MIAC report.

Make no mistake, failing complete, total, and absolute compliance with and adoration of government will get you branded a "terrorist".

AbVag
08-01-2011, 07:05 PM
"Hi, I like to report several anarchist that are plotting to overthrow the government by opening up a lemonade stand......... Yeah, I'll hold."

moderate libertarian
08-01-2011, 07:30 PM
I think I need to get glasses because in first glance I read "Americans" instead of "Anarchists". That would not have been acceptable if UK reported Americans to the police.

Teaser Rate
08-01-2011, 08:33 PM
I have no problem with law enforcement keeping tabs on groups and individuals which hold extremist ideologies in the interest of public safety.

Seraphim
08-01-2011, 08:36 PM
You're an idiot.

I have no problem with law enforcement keeping tabs on groups and individuals which hold extremist ideologies in the interest of public safety.

josh b
08-01-2011, 08:48 PM
You're an idiot.

Yay for vague terms like 'extremist ideologies' and 'public safety'. I wish I could figure out what these mean.

Governments use this crap all the time to quell dissent.

Theocrat
08-01-2011, 09:08 PM
It's not that anarchists should be reported to the police. It's more so they should report to Somalia. :p

MikeStanart
08-01-2011, 09:11 PM

True power belongs to those who can mold definitions to their own agendas. For example, Hitler stated that the destruction of the weak and sick is far more humane than their protection. Since Hitler was in charge, he got to decide who were "The Weak". Please think twice about using terminology such as "extremists"; because after all, you could be one some day.

Teaser Rate
08-01-2011, 09:20 PM
You're an idiot.

Luckily for you, believing that I'm an idiot is not commonly seen as an extremist thought. (Actually, it seems to be rather common around here)

mport1
08-01-2011, 09:24 PM
I assume this same policy to spread to the U.S. They love stealing statist ideas from the UK.

Anti Federalist
08-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Luckily for you, believing that I'm an idiot is not commonly seen as an extremist thought. (Actually, it seems to be rather common around here)

What is common around here, extremist thought or thinking that you are, in fact, an idiot?

Not that I think that, I think you're just trolling, myself.

specialkornflake
08-01-2011, 09:27 PM
A lot of people on this board are anarchists. It's a common progression from limited-government libertarianism, a progression which I believe to be the correct one.

Teaser Rate
08-01-2011, 09:47 PM
What is common around here, extremist thought or thinking that you are, in fact, an idiot?

Not that I think that, I think you're just trolling, myself.

By taking one glance at my rep (new record low today!) one can deduce I obviously meant the latter.

Speaking of trolling, I'm starting to think that your person on this forum is just one epic troll.

Teaser Rate
08-01-2011, 09:50 PM
A lot of people on this board are anarchists. It's a common progression from limited-government libertarianism, a progression which I believe to be the correct one.

Anarcho-capitalists =/= anarchists The former wants to eliminate government with the goal of reducing coercion in society, the latter wants to break stuff because they feel that the world owes them free things.

Anti Federalist
08-01-2011, 09:54 PM
By taking one glance at my rep (new record low today!) one can deduce I obviously meant the latter.

Speaking of trolling, I'm starting to think that your person on this forum is just one epic troll.

Well, I have never given you a neg rep...(least I don't think I ever have ? )

Did you mean "persona"?

If you did, well, that's a shame I suppose...I'm a lot of things, but I'm not a liar.

My opinions posted here are the very same I have said to numerous people in face to face encounters over the years.

Nope, outrageous as they may be, they're the "real deal".

Danke
08-01-2011, 09:59 PM
anarcho-capitalists want to break stuff because they feel that the world owes them free things.

Troll.

Teaser Rate
08-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Well, I have never given you a neg rep...(least I don't think I ever have ? )

Did you mean "persona"?

If you did, well, that's a shame I suppose...I'm a lot of things, but I'm not a liar.

My opinions posted here are the very same I have said to numerous people in face to face encounters over the years.

Nope, outrageous as they may be, they're the "real deal".

I did actually mean persona. (I guess that's one for the guy who called me an idiot earlier)

I'm not questioning your motives, but I have somewhat of a difficult time accepting that someone who writes in such a clear, coherent and intelligent way believes things which I find so unusual.

I guess that what I'm saying is that my world would make a lot more sense if you started a thread titled I'm not actually against the NWO, it's just a silly conspiracy theory, oh and btw, I'm a cop.

pcosmar
08-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Troll.

A general consensus.

If he doesn't piss you off, he's a good laugh.

Anti Federalist
08-01-2011, 10:26 PM
I did actually mean persona. (I guess that's one for the guy who called me an idiot earlier)

I thought so, good to clear that up.

I'm not questioning your motives, but I have somewhat of a difficult time accepting that someone who writes in such a clear, coherent and intelligent way believes things which I find so unusual.

Not all of us that believe 9/11 was an "inside job" and have no problem believing that international globalists are plotting the formation of authoritarian world government write like this:

OMFG U NeeD to LOOK AT this RIGHT NOW!!!!111! InTERNATIONAl ConspIracy!!! AFOOTT!!!! We Toldz YOU!!!!!!!

Or look like this:

http://www.thecollaredsheep.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Printing-Makes-You-Crazy.jpg

And I appreciate the comment, but there are a number of people here that hold the same ideas I do and can blow me out of the water as far as intelligent, cogent, and on point writing style goes. Perhaps an honest examination and discussion of those ideas might end up with you not thinking them so "unusual" any more.

I guess that what I'm saying is that my world would make a lot more sense if you started a thread titled I'm not actually against the NWO, it's just a silly conspiracy theory, oh and btw, I'm a cop.

Well, I suppose that would be a "Rick Roll" of epic proportions, but, I'm sorry, I can't oblige.

I really do believe that there is a international conspiracy afoot to limit national sovereignty and push for world government and that cops are increasingly becoming a clear and present danger.

Anti Federalist
08-02-2011, 11:16 AM
///

Lucille
08-02-2011, 01:22 PM

It's true. It's a process.

Lucille
08-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Reason: Baby, I'm an Anarchist, You're a Member of Al-Qaeda (http://reason.com/blog/2011/08/03/baby-im-an-anarchist-youre-a-m)

British police in the City of Westminster are now (slightly) back-peddling from last week’s request that the public, and shopkeepers in particular, keep an eye on any neighborhood anarchists. The implication that a diverse political philosophy was inherently criminal made some anarchists angry. It also reads creepily similar to the controversial 2009 Homeland Security memo about keeping an eye on extremists including those who "reject federal authority in favor of state or local."...

CaseyJones
08-03-2011, 03:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbmWs6Jf5dc

wgadget
08-03-2011, 04:13 PM
http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=97374