PDA

View Full Version : My question is How high can tax rates go is it true can tax rates can't go past 100% becau

aid632007
07-31-2011, 08:57 PM
My question is How high can tax rates go is it true can tax rates can't go past 100% because 100% would be all of a person's Income therefor if we have a Progressive Tax or a Flat Tax the tax rates can't go past 100% the reason Im asking this question is because in the United States of America we have had 90% tax rates than 70% tax rates on the Rich/Wealthy Im asking about an Income Tax not a Sale's Tax ?

libertybrewcity
07-31-2011, 09:02 PM
.<--------- use em!

I've heard that no one ever paid that much because there were so many loop holes. As for are you able to tax more than 100%? The answer: they would find a way.

flightlesskiwi
07-31-2011, 09:49 PM
.<--------- use em!

I've heard that no one ever paid that much because there were so many loop holes. As for are you able to tax more than 100%? The answer: they would find a way.

probably like-- give all your income and dedicate your firstborn as a slave to the state.

Carehn
07-31-2011, 10:00 PM
Back in the dark ages people would work for the nobles and they would be taxed lest say a dollar a day and get paid like 50 cents. then when you would go into debt to the nobles you would be so gratful for them letting you still work and try to one day pay them off. and you never would. The end.

True by the way. I will go and try and find a wiki page on it now.

Anti Federalist
07-31-2011, 10:05 PM
Back in the dark ages people would work for the nobles and they would be taxed lest say a dollar a day and get paid like 50 cents. then when you would go into debt to the nobles you would be so gratful for them letting you still work and try to one day pay them off. and you never would. The end.

True by the way. I will go and try and find a wiki page on it now.

The only difference between then and now is that then, the nobles would at least allow you your funds to feed your family or put a roof over your head before they took their cut.

Now our modern nobles and ruling class takes their cut before you even see your pay.

Carehn
07-31-2011, 10:20 PM
The only difference between then and now is that then, the nobles would at least allow you your funds to feed your family or put a roof over your head before they took their cut.

Now our modern nobles and ruling class takes their cut before you even see your pay.

This is true. Today's modern nobles don't let things like cause and effect slow down their looting.

cindy25
08-01-2011, 02:53 AM
Sweden tried a marginal rate on passive income of 105% back in the 70s

1000-points-of-fright
08-01-2011, 04:44 AM
My question is How high can tax rates go is it true can tax rates can't go past 100% because 100% would be all of a person's Income therefor if we have a Progressive Tax or a Flat Tax the tax rates can't go past 100% the reason Im asking this question is because in the United States of America we have had 90% tax rates than 70% tax rates on the Rich/Wealthy Im asking about an Income Tax not a Sale's Tax ?

:eek:

oyarde
08-01-2011, 10:58 AM
I say , if my tax burden gets to 67 % , I am going to quit paying except one pc. of property , property tax , put up a teepee and just start loading shells :)

aid632007
08-06-2011, 06:25 PM
My question is it true that Income Tax Rates can not go past 100% but taxes on gas or taxes on drinks or taxes on cigarettes can be included which would be past 100% ?

ItsTime
08-06-2011, 06:29 PM
My question is it true that Income Tax Rates can not go past 100% but taxes on gas or taxes on drinks or taxes on cigarettes can be included which would be past 100% ?

Yes the income tax can go beyond 100%. For example they can create an 105% tax rate on anything OVER $250,000 so if you made $250,100 you would pay $105 in taxes (on top of your normal taxes)

VBRonPaulFan
08-06-2011, 06:43 PM

It could theoretically go past 100% if there was some way for the government to take every dollar of income you earned, and also take some of what you have saved. Otherwise, 100% is the maximum.

noxagol
08-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Yes the income tax can go beyond 100%. For example they can create an 105% tax rate on anything OVER $250,000 so if you made $250,100 you would pay $105 in taxes (on top of your normal taxes)

This.

DamianTV
08-07-2011, 02:13 AM
.<--------- use em!

If the Value of the Currency becomes absolutely Zero, there are people that will still expect you to work. That is called SLAVERY.

libertybrewcity
08-07-2011, 02:17 AM
If the Value of the Currency becomes absolutely Zero, there are people that will still expect you to work. That is called SLAVERY.

No one would work if you weren't paid anything. If that ever happened I don't think there would be much of an economy left.

DamianTV
08-07-2011, 05:43 AM
No one would work if you weren't paid anything. If that ever happened I don't think there would be much of an economy left.

What if someone put a gun to your head? Would you work then? Some people would.

aid632007
08-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Since the tax rates on Income can go above 100% could taxing the Rich or the Wealthy make them poor or poorer or make all Incomes equal ?

Why Is Bill Clinton Cultivating Envy?

by Stephen Moore

This article appeared on cato.org on July 31, 1997.

Republicans shouldn't have wilted so easily. They should have met the class-warfare argument head-on. This is not -- nor has it ever been -- a nation principally motivated by greed and envy. Most Americans don't hate rich people as much as Dick Gephardt apparently does. Americans don't begrudge billionaires like Microsoft's Bill Gates or Federal Express's Fred Smith their fortunes. The vast majority of Americans don't want to tax the rich out of existence; they want to become rich themselves.

http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=6111

Philhelm
08-07-2011, 11:02 AM
What if someone put a gun to your head? Would you work then? Some people would.

I'd tell him to pull the trigger. Not trying to sound tough, but if came down to that I'd prefer to be dead.