PDA

View Full Version : Phraseology

strategos
11-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Possibly the most important part of a campaign is how debates are phrased and talking points used. I read a book called Words that Work by a brilliant wordsmith, Frank Luntz. This guy changes the language used in debates with talking points. he used focus groups to come up with these changes: global warming to climate change, estate tax to death tax, oil companies to energy companies and third trimester abortions to partial-birth abortions.

He says slogans are very important to a campaign, talking points that are short, understandable and easily remembered are very important. The goal of this thread is to try to create talking points for Ron Paul's Libertarian ideas. Remember these have to appeal to others from outside your viewpoint and must be true in the fact that they really apply to the issue, they just shape it.
I'd like to hear your ideas for talking points for the Paul campaign and maybe if we post good enough points the Ron Paul campaign may benefit from them.

strategos
11-02-2007, 08:09 AM
let me clarify, the purpose of this thread is to come up with phrases which resonate well and describe Ron Paul's campaign. Talking points are very important, whether or not you agree with their message, cut and run, support the troops, flip-flopper are phrases which changed policy, we need repeatable and appealing phrases.

RonPaulForLife
11-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Calling third-trimester abortions, "partial-birth abortion" is inaccurate. Most PBAs occur in the second trimester. They are called partial-birth because the fetus is partially delivered during the procedure, even though it is usually not viable. "Partial-birth abortion" itself is a term that was invented to appeal to pro-lifers. The medical term is dilation and extraction.

Inflation = inflation tax
Support the war in Iraq = pro-war
Capital punishment = death penalty
Free trade = free but fair trade
Solving global warming = achieving energy independence/promoting renewable energy

Also, I think wisely phrasing tax consequences can be very helpful.
Tax on the middle-class: Almost every tax can be called this.
Tax cut for the wealth: Almost any tax cut can be called this.
"I don't think we should tax X to pay for Y. Why should they have to pay for Y?": For example, "I don't think we should tax the American people to pay for a $30,000 gold medal for Tony Blair. Why should they have to pay for a gold medal they'll never see?" or "I don't think we should tax people who don't go to college to subsidize people who do. Why should they have to pay for someone else's tuition?"

pcosmar
11-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Possibly the most important part of a campaign is how debates are phrased and talking points used. I read a book called Words that Work by a brilliant wordsmith, Frank Luntz.

FRACK YOU FRANK