PDA

View Full Version : Durbin: Debt Deal Will Be The Death Of Keynesian Economics

teacherone
07-31-2011, 01:07 PM
WOOT!

WASHINGTON -- The Republicans are killing Keynesian economics with their attempt to cut spending as the economy rebounds from a recession, Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) said in a floor speech on Sunday.

"I would say ... that symbolically, that agreement is moving us to the point where we are having the final interment of John Maynard Keynes," he said, referring to the British economist. "He normally died in 1946 but it appears we are going to put him to his final rest with this agreement."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/31/durbin-debt-deal-keynes-deficit_n_914356.html

Travlyr
07-31-2011, 01:10 PM
If only it were that easy.

Seraphim
07-31-2011, 01:17 PM
Some of the comments are brutal.

MozoVote
07-31-2011, 01:21 PM
Cutting expenditures worked for Warren Harding, before Keynes went mainstream.

TCE
07-31-2011, 01:25 PM
I lol'd so hard. The stimulus is still going on, how is Keynesianism dead?

Theocrat
07-31-2011, 01:26 PM
"Their fear, and the fear that I share, is that if we make spending cuts at this point, it will not help economic recovery," he said.

Yes, it will, Durbin. He's looking at it in a short-term analysis, but in the long-term, the economy will recover. Besides, we just can't borrow more money to get ourselves out of debt. It's another scare-tactic, similar to the "too big to fail" mentality. It simply prolongs our economy from correcting itself, and it encourages more wasteful spending.

flightlesskiwi
07-31-2011, 01:31 PM
Yes, it will, Durbin. He's looking at it in a short-term analysis, but in the long-term, the economy will recover. Besides, we just can't borrow more money to get ourselves out of debt. It's another scare-tactic, similar to the "too big to fail" mentality. It simply prolongs our economy from correcting itself, and it encourages more wasteful spending.

sounds like a passage from "economics in one lesson". :D

MJU1983
07-31-2011, 01:35 PM
Woot! :)