PDA

View Full Version : Remember the cop in Canton? He's Baaaaack!

coastie
07-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Here's yet another dash cam video of this super cop threatening to kill not one, but ALL 4 people in this car because there was a gun in it....

Welcome to your daily blood pressure rise on RPF's.:mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPq--Nu0eC4&feature=player_detailpage

AFPVet
07-31-2011, 11:40 AM
I think CNN was talking about this and they strongly suggested that the officer be "dismissed". This is unacceptable.

flightlesskiwi
07-31-2011, 11:44 AM
he's using the same lines.

robot??

coastie
07-31-2011, 11:46 AM
I think CNN was talking about this and they strongly suggested that the officer be "dismissed". This is unacceptable.

The very fact that he even still has the option of being dismissed is what's most sickening about this.

You're former LE, this guy doesn't know how to deescalate a situation, and damn sure doesn't know what to do if there is a gun present. I couldn't even imagine pulling this shit in the CG when I was in, I can say with 100% certainty that I would never have carried a gun again for the rest of my enlistment, I've seen people get there gun quals taken from the indefinitely just for not following protocol on unloading into the clearing barrel when we got home..

pcosmar
07-31-2011, 11:46 AM
This bastard is a clear and present danger. He should never be given a chance to clear leather.

"there's a gun in this car"
Then proceeds to threaten the lives of all present while armed with a deadly weapon.

There should be one in every car, and on every hip. and they should be used in events such as this.

coastie
07-31-2011, 11:50 AM
This bastard is a clear and present danger. He should never be given a chance to clear leather.

Then proceeds to threaten the lives of all present while armed with a deadly weapon.

There should be one in every car, and on every hip. and they should be used in events such as this.

That's what I was alluding to earlier-there are procedures when there is weapons around, and this guy isn't following them by any stretch of the imagination....I wish I could say I'm surprised he hasn't been shot already.

Either this guy has been involved in prior murders, or is itching to commit his first one.....

AFPVet
07-31-2011, 11:59 AM
The very fact that he even still has the option of being dismissed is what's most sickening about this.

You're former LE, this guy doesn't know how to deescalate a situation, and damn sure doesn't know what to do if there is a gun present. I couldn't even imagine pulling this shit in the CG when I was in, I can say with 100% certainty that I would never have carried a gun again for the rest of my enlistment, I've seen people get there gun quals taken from the indefinitely just for not following protocol on unloading into the clearing barrel when we got home..

IMO, it never should have gotten this far. He should've been booted immediately. I don't understand how they can leave this guy on the streets threatening people. This joker has a serious problem... he may even be on drugs like many of these guys are.

coastie
07-31-2011, 11:59 AM
Found this form the Ohio CCW forum...

rending Behavior:The Canton Repository has revealed that Officer Harless is now under investigation for a second incident involving his temper. Video: Officer Harless loses his temper on another arrest - The Police Chief has indicated, according to the Canton Repository, that the police department will forward "one package" of the two investigations to the City Safety Director. It appears Harless' fascination with shooting people and sleeping well the same evening continues in this video.

Resignations: Ohioans For Concealed Carry has called for the resignations of both Schulman and Harless. So far, one news media outlet has already picked up the story: Gun group calls for Schulman, Harless to resign

Officer Status: We know that Officer Harless has been relieved of his duties. We believe that he is on administrative leave with pay or sick pay. Ohioans For Concealed Carry does not anticipate the City of Canton to pursue criminal or administrative charges against Harless until the criminal case against William Bartlett is resolved - this is consistent with many other departments and not unique to this situation, but all the more reason the charges against Bartlett should be dropped. Please understand that Officer Harless, like any of us, is entitled to due process and the presumption of innocence.

Pre-Trial: 8/1/2011: A pre-trial for William Bartlett is scheduled for Monday, August 1st in Canton Municipal Court.

UPDATE 7/26/2011: Canton Council President Alan Schulman made a fool of himself at a Council hearing where he refused to address the issue but goes on to literally whine about the emails they're getting from outside of Canton, Ohio. He blames the problem on firearms and says that people shouldn't be allowed to be armed "in the worst of times" His 15 minutes of fame can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBfpBxY2J00

Schulman missed an opportunity to state that city leaders won't stand for this, they find what happened to be unacceptable, and they intend to do the right thing. Instead, Schulman ignored the underlying issues at hand and complained about his inbox and his political position on firearms. The opportunity to display leadership was lost on Schulman Monday night.

UPDATE 7/22/2011: Canton Police announced Thursday 7/21 that the officer was relieved of all duties in June following an internal investigation complaint filed in this matter. The local Canton Repository has done some additional investigatory work into the officers and an excellent analysis of the video / audio we posted. The video and story has gone both viral and national crossing over to websites not typically affiliated with the pro-gun movement. Shortly after 7:00pm Thursday our website could no longer handle the volume of visitors we were receiving. We promptly quadrupled the resources behind OhioCCW.org in light of the popularity of this story.

AFPVet
07-31-2011, 12:05 PM
Found this form the Ohio CCW forum...

Thank God they got rid of him. Unfortunately, its dudes like this who make me nervous. I still support his right to self defense, even if he doesn't support mine. Perhaps he will eventually learn what being a citizen is about. I seriously think that he needs some counseling and perhaps treatment for drug abuse. STAY OFF THE ROIDS!

coastie
07-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Thank God they got rid of him. Unfortunately, its dudes like this who make me nervous. I still support his right to self defense, even if he doesn't support mine. Perhaps he will eventually learn what being a citizen is about. I seriously think that he needs some counseling and perhaps treatment for drug abuse. STAY OFF THE ROIDS!

Well, it's just not enough...This piece of shit should be in jail right now awaiting trial.

Hell, take off his gun and taser(he can keep his baton:D)- and I'd be all over this dude like a pissed off spider monkey.:mad::mad::mad:

Carehn
07-31-2011, 12:14 PM

What he needs i dare not suggest on this forum.

AFPVet
07-31-2011, 12:19 PM
What he needs i dare not suggest on this forum.

I would be willing to call him mentally ill and have his ass locked up for a 72 hour diagnosis and observation.

Carehn
07-31-2011, 12:35 PM
I would be willing to call him mentally ill and have his ass locked up for a 72 hour diagnosis and observation.

No. He needs one of these people he is harassing to turn around and pound the shit out of him. Nothing deadly. just a real good ass kicking and then his cop buddy's can show up after and pill him of the concrete. Then the video needs to go viral and be played on every news program over and over and over.

coastie
07-31-2011, 12:41 PM
No. He needs one of these people he is harassing to turn around and pound the shit out of him. Nothing deadly. just a real good ass kicking and then his cop buddy's can show up after and pill him of the concrete. Then the video needs to go viral and be played on every news program over and over and over.

Like I said a few posts back-take his gun from him and I'll glady take him on. If violence is what this guy talks, then violence is the only thing he will ever understand.

Being beat to within an inch of your life is a real eye opening experience, let me tell you. This guy has obviously never even been in a (fair) fight...

KCIndy
07-31-2011, 12:57 PM
He needs one of these people he is harassing to turn around and pound the shit out of him. Nothing deadly. just a real good ass kicking...

Back in the day, we used to call that an "attitude adjustment."

coastie
07-31-2011, 12:58 PM
Back in the day, we used to call that an "attitude adjustment."

Now, it's called "assault" :rolleyes:

KCIndy
07-31-2011, 01:01 PM
Yep. I was an adult before "political correctness" was invented.

I really miss the good old days.

coastie
07-31-2011, 03:47 PM
Yep. I was an adult before "political correctness" was invented.

I really miss the good old days.

Yeah-me too. I'm only 34, so I'm not sure when the whole PC thing took off, but I do remember it not always being like this.

This guy needs an attitude adjustment from hell...I hope he hasn't bred yet.:eek:

1000-points-of-fright
07-31-2011, 05:13 PM
This douchebadge needs to be charged with Aggravated Menacing and anything else a prosecutor can think of and lose his job and pension.

AGRP
07-31-2011, 05:24 PM
Im at the point of not respecting any cop.

This animal was allowed to behave like that for at least 2 years and NOT ONE COP within his department saw to it that he was warned/fired/etc.?

coastie
07-31-2011, 05:30 PM
Im at the point of not respecting any cop.

This animal was allowed to behave like that for at least 2 years and NOT ONE COP within his department saw to it that he was warned/fired/etc.?

Nope, just like none say or do anything when it's 8 of them on 1 homeless guy...

I really hope there is a local concerted effort to get this guy prosecuted for making terroristic threats to these people............................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..oh wait, HAHAHAH, forgot what country I lived in for a moment.:mad::rolleyes:

<patiently awaits the next murder by cop>

iGGz
07-31-2011, 05:35 PM
http://www.timesreporter.com/news_mobile/x1217539546/Gun-group-calls-for-Schulman-Harless-to-resign

Posted Jul 28, 2011 @ 12:55 PM
Last update Jul 28, 2011 @ 07:31 PM

CANTON —
Ohioans for Concealed Carry is calling for the resignation of a Canton police officer and City Council President Allen Schulman.

On Thursday, the group — which last week posted a video of patrolman Daniel Harless’ threatening and volatile exchange with a concealed carry permit holder during a June 8 traffic stop — issued a statement asking both to step down immediately.

Harless is on sick leave from the force, pending the results of an internal affairs investigation and discipline hearing for his behavior.

At Monday night’s City Council meeting, Schulman lashed out at those outside of Canton who were critical of the city, and criticized Ohio’s concealed carry handgun law.

In the video, Harless remarks that he should have executed William Bartlett for being stupid and uses profane language after learning — minutes into the traffic stop — that Bartlett had a weapon with him.

pcosmar
07-31-2011, 08:50 PM

I got a -Rep for this (several points actually)

please dont say things like that... the cop lost his job, he doesn't need to lose his life
I respectfully disagree (and I'm not concerned with rep points)
First, it is the Definition of self defense and it is the very reason that the 2nd amendment was written into the Bill of Rights. Defense against Government aggression. Defense against an armed attacker.

secondly, The man did not lose his job. He is still a cop. He should be immediately jailed and tried, but that is extremely unlikely.

Any other person pointing a gun and making explicit threats to kill should be treated the same. He should be shot where he stands. The badge is irrelevant.

http://www.constitution.org/uslaw/defunlaw.txt

“When a person, being without fault, is in a place where he has a right
to be, is violently assaulted, he may, without retreating, repel by
force, and if, in the reasonable exercise of his right of self defense,
his assailant is killed, he is justified.” Runyan v. State, 57 Ind. 80;
Miller v. State, 74 Ind. 1.

“These principles apply as well to an officer attempting to make an
arrest, who abuses his authority and transcends the bounds thereof by
the use of unnecessary force and violence, as they do to a private
individual who unlawfully uses such force and violence.” Jones v. State,
26 Tex. App. I; Beaverts v. State, 4 Tex. App. 1 75; Skidmore v. State,
43 Tex. 93, 903.

AFPVet
07-31-2011, 09:13 PM
To play devils advocate, one of the suspects pleaded guilty to felony firearms possession... so they weren't entirely "good". It looked like a bunch of thugs in a car. Still, the officer never should have reacted the way that he did unless they were brandishing the weapon—which they were not.

Eric21ND
07-31-2011, 09:50 PM
Jesus what a psycho!

guitarlifter
07-31-2011, 10:18 PM

If you're serious about the roids comment, I, as a previous steroid user, find it highly ignorant and offensive.

As for the video, when did this happen? At the end of the video, the guy with the gun at his feet pleaded guilty to a felony firearm charge in March of this year? Was that from a different charge or from this instance? Did the owner of the gun have a CCW? Did the cop finally lose his job?

pcosmar
07-31-2011, 11:01 PM
If you're serious about the roids comment, I, as a previous steroid user, find it highly ignorant and offensive.

As for the video, when did this happen? At the end of the video, the guy with the gun at his feet pleaded guilty to a felony firearm charge in March of this year? Was that from a different charge or from this instance? Did the owner of the gun have a CCW? Did the cop finally lose his job?

Can you link to what he plead guilty to?

I read in another article that it was improper transport of a weapon.
Hardly a crime.

btw, My last FELONY was for "Attempted Possession of a Firearm" because my wife owned one and it was in our home.

Also NOT A CRIME.
I plead guilty to save my farm.

BamaAla
08-01-2011, 04:01 AM
After listening to the city council president Schulman, I see why the cops are the way they are.

pacelli
08-01-2011, 05:52 AM
This guy is a terrorist, plain and simple.

AFPVet
08-01-2011, 11:21 AM

I know plenty about subjects who were on roids bro—I am a former peace officer. Roid rage is a serious issue... especially among police departments. I am totally serious. If you are responsible with steroids, fine... but many of these guys are not... obviously. No... the owner was not a CCW; I do not know the specifics about the charge—only that it was a felony possession of a firearm. Those guys didn't look like "law abiding folks", but does not excuse the officers excessive action and unprofessional behavior. Regarding the cop's job, yes, he was relieved of duty.

pcosmar
08-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Regarding the cop's job, yes, he was relieved of duty.

NO,, He was not. He is on leave but still employed by the City.

Harless is on sick leave from the force, pending the results of an internal affairs investigation and discipline hearing for his behavior.

He is scheduled to have a hearing later this month.
As yet he is still employed. And has not been arrested.

Edit,,
As to the earlier video,,
http://www.cantonrep.com/newsnow/x2014919089/Video-Officer-Harless-loses-his-temper-on-another-arrest

The man and woman were eventually removed from the truck. The gun, a .25-caliber semi-automatic pistol, was found loaded with a round in the chamber, according to police reports.

The man with the gun at his feet pleaded guilty in March to improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle, a felony, and was placed on probation.
http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/akron_canton_news/canton-police-officer-caught-on-tape-making-death-threats-and-cursing-for-a-second-time

Harless also refers to the passengers several times as “stupid” and “idiots.” Leone was convicted for not having a permit for the gun.

I find no report of any conviction for any actual crime.

bkreigh
08-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Totally different situation than when i got pulled over this morning for work. Glad i had a cool cop and not a douche like this.

AFPVet
08-01-2011, 01:08 PM
NO,, He was not. He is on leave but still employed by the City.

Oh... it sounded like he was fired. I guess they didn't say that his was terminated... only relieved of duty. That could mean several things now that I think about it.