PDA

View Full Version : Rich people are scared of global unrest

YumYum
07-30-2011, 05:09 AM
Now is not the time to be wealthy.

$230,000 For a Guard Dog: Why the Wealthy Are Afraid Of Violence From Below

As inequality in the US grows, the ultra-rich are pouring their spare cash not just into private jets, but into private security. Think there's a connection?

So why are the rich getting paranoid? After all, here in the U.S. it looks like they don't even have to worry about their taxes returning to Clinton-era levels, let alone cope with a truly significant change to their lifestyles. Still, as the rich get richer, it seems, they get more and more worried about the rest of us coming for their wealth—and they're out to protect it by any means necessary.

read more...http://www.alternet.org/story/151837/%24230%2C000_for_a_guard_dog%3A_why_the_wealthy_ar e_afraid_of_violence_from_below/

LibForestPaul
07-30-2011, 06:48 AM
Had to have that jab at Tea Party in there ;), but otherwise interesting piece.

VBRonPaulFan
07-30-2011, 06:55 AM
Anyone who's been following what's going on over the past 5-10 years know what's going down. If you had the money, wouldn't you try to stock up on gold/silver coinage to be able to feed yourself and your family, guns to protect your property from looters, etc?

What the hell would you expect? "In recent news at the financial turmoil, the rich are taking the locks off their doors. They're more than happy to let rioters come by and take their shit."

acptulsa
07-30-2011, 07:29 AM
Well, gee. Who fired the first shot in this class warfare we have going on? Who fired the second shot? Who fired the third?

They have a right to be scared. They're overdue.

moostraks
07-30-2011, 08:19 AM
karma...the ones that live in fear most likely have a guilty conscience of having made a few enemies in their past. So they squander all their money away on trying tp protect their wealth. There is some poetic justice in this turn of events.

smithtg
07-30-2011, 08:26 AM
I also think none of the super rich could grow or hunt for their own food. They may have alot of land though and convince a few unemployed to do it for them for what little they will have left when things implode

Philhelm
07-30-2011, 09:39 AM
I should start sending out my résumé to rich people and offer my services as a mercenary. I may as well capitalize on their insecurity.

awake
07-30-2011, 10:55 AM
I would be scared too if I was wealthy. The masses are forming into ever more efficient looting parties who are slowly losing their inhibitions. "Eat the rich" is a slogan not without merit; "tax the rich" is its practical application. Stealing can be justified just as long as there is a carefully , often mistaken, sophism or pretext to legally do it and get away with it.

There are people with wealth who earned it honestly and there are those who earned their wealth through government. The problem is to separate the good from the bad instead of writing off all those with more money than you or I as a target for theft.

Philhelm
07-30-2011, 10:59 AM
I would be scared too if I was wealthy. The masses are forming in to ever more efficient looting parties who are slowly losing their inhibitions. "Eat the rich" is a slogan not without merit - Tax the rich is its practical application. Stealing can be justified just as long as there is a carefully , and often mistaken, sophism or pretext to legally do it and get away with it.

There are people with wealth who earned honestly and there are those who earned their wealth through government. The problem is to separate the good from the bad instead of writing off all those with more money than you or I as a target for theft.

Which is why I wouldn't mind defending their lives and property...in exchange for reasonable compensation of course. You'd think that the honest rich would be allies of libertariansm. Who else truly defends their right to accumulate wealth?

awake
07-30-2011, 11:22 AM
The best way to protect the property of rich and poor is to weaken the idea government. This is what we all do by holding and spreading the idea of liberty.

Anti Federalist
07-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Well, gee. Who fired the first shot in this class warfare we have going on? Who fired the second shot? Who fired the third?

That^^^

If by rich, they mean the banksters, the Wall Street hustlers, the outsourcers, the slash and burn acquisition men, and all the rest, every one of them into government up their eyeballs, then yeah, they'd better be watching their back.

"The wicked flee when no one pursues".

FSP-Rebel
07-30-2011, 11:53 AM
Who gave this 1 star? It was relatively enlightening to me at least.

libertybrewcity
07-30-2011, 11:56 AM
I think everyone would be scared of global unrest..

Philhelm
07-30-2011, 12:13 PM
That^^^

If by rich, they mean the banksters, the Wall Street hustlers, the outsourcers, the slash and burn acquisition men, and all the rest, every one of them into government up their eyeballs, then yeah, they'd better be watching their back.

"The wicked flee when no one pursues".

Well, those people are different from honest businessmen. Many of the "entitled" have been firing shots at the wealthy and middle class for a century though. I've been at my current job for five weeks and have already had a few hundred dollars taken from me.

Brian4Liberty
07-30-2011, 12:17 PM

Stop with the class warfare! Don't you know that only the poor engage in class warfare? Your overlords have been nothing but generous to you peons and mundanes.

Brian4Liberty
07-30-2011, 12:20 PM
Brazil is the model nation. Swarming masses of poverty, with a few uber-rich Oligarchs who fly helicopters from secure skyscraper rooftops to secured mansion compounds. No need to be at ground level with the mundanes.

HOLLYWOOD
07-30-2011, 12:32 PM
After reading this article... reminds me of the movie SOYLENT GREEN with the expansive walls and protection between the 2 classes. Hey only 11 years to go!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RryYOFyiPng/Tbv3s8vKLZI/AAAAAAAAB9o/8BtjXNx6ORk/s1600/Soylent_green.jpg

libertarian4321
08-01-2011, 03:16 AM
karma...the ones that live in fear most likely have a guilty conscience of having made a few enemies in their past. So they squander all their money away on trying tp protect their wealth. There is some poetic justice in this turn of events.

Do you have a security alarm at your home, or live in a gated community, or keep a firearm for protection? Many people do, and most aren't rich.

Of course people want to defend their lives and property from criminals and thugs, whether they be rich or not.

It doesn't mean they are doing it because they are "guilty" of anything wrong.

How did this idea that anyone with any money must be a "cheat" or a "criminal" get on the Ron Paul Forums?

Some of you are starting to sound like Democrat class warfare types.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
08-01-2011, 03:20 AM
I am about as far from wealthy as it gets and I fear the same things.