PDA

View Full Version : Des Moines Register writes up the mailers in Iowa

sailingaway
07-29-2011, 11:14 PM
http://caucuses.desmoinesregister.com/2011/07/29/dueling-mailers-in-iowa-bachmann-slams-obama-paul-slams-rival-republicans/

trey4sports
07-29-2011, 11:32 PM
well, it will be interesting to see how "going negative" goes. I hope it effectively knocks Bachmann off her Tea Party podium.

sailingaway
07-29-2011, 11:33 PM
It looks like the article was disapproving of the tactic, to me.

I wish his mailers sounded like he does.

Tarzan
07-29-2011, 11:44 PM
Interesting how the campaign seems to be giving us advise to act one way... then goes the opposite direction themselves.

LibertyEagle
07-29-2011, 11:48 PM
Ugh. I hope this works out like they intended.

sailingaway
07-29-2011, 11:52 PM
Ugh. I hope this works out like they intended.

If it is them.

LatinsforPaul
07-29-2011, 11:54 PM
We need to see the entire letter, before anyone here should make any judgements.

libertybrewcity
07-29-2011, 11:56 PM
Interesting how the campaign seems to be giving us advise to act one way... then goes the opposite direction themselves.

That is because ALL campaigns go negative. That is just what happens and it perfectly acceptable to "attack" a candidate for policy positions. Supporters on the other hand don't get the immunity.

speciallyblend
07-30-2011, 12:22 AM
sounds good to me, he should expose bachmann and romney on records alone!! truths a bitch!!

Tarzan
07-30-2011, 12:27 AM
It looks like they might be referring to this: http://thegrassrootspress.com/

I could only find the draft PDF which does not contain any Reagan endorsement. However, it is in full color and 6 pages. But, if this is it, they need to make it clear that this is from grassroots supporters... not Ron Paul or the official campaign. Can't say for certain one way or the other.

But... as noted above... we need to see what the author of the article saw. Anybody in Des Moines? Anybody have a relationship with the author, Jennifer Jacobs?

Esoteric
07-30-2011, 01:24 AM

I could only find the draft PDF which does not contain any Reagan endorsement. However, it is in full color and 6 pages. But, if this is it, they need to make it clear that this is from grassroots supporters... not Ron Paul or the official campaign. Can't say for certain one way or the other.

But... as noted above... we need to see what the author of the article saw. Anybody in Des Moines? Anybody have a relationship with the author, Jennifer Jacobs?

Is this true????? If so, we need to get on this immediately! has anyone read the entire grassroots press and recognize any of the quotes?

Tarzan
07-30-2011, 01:28 AM
Is this true????? If so, we need to get on this immediately! has anyone read the entire grassroots press and recognize any of the quotes?

I am only guessing! I have no idea to what the reporter is referring.
This was just a (hopeful) guess and I could easily be wrong.
I only have a draft version... and could not find any of the quotes or the Reagan reference.
So, again... I could easily be wrong!!!

We need to find out what the reporter actually saw.

AlexAmore
07-30-2011, 01:51 AM
If it's based purely on fact then negative campaigning works. Bottom line is it WILL tarnish the image of Bachmann. On the day of the straw poll, will they feel as motivated to go out and vote for her? No.

There's nothing wrong with exposing "conservatives" for being liberal. You're doing the voters and this nation a favor.

sailingaway
07-30-2011, 01:54 AM
If it's based purely on fact then negative campaigning works. Bottom line is it WILL tarnish the image of Bachmann. On the day of the straw poll, will they feel as motivated to go out and vote for her? No.

There's nothing wrong with exposing "conservatives" for being liberal. You're doing the voters and this nation a favor.

A male candidate going after a female candidate in a conservative state is tricky. Besides, it just really isn't Ron's style.

However, I haven't seen the actual thing.

AlexAmore
07-30-2011, 02:22 AM
A male candidate going after a female candidate in a conservative state is tricky. Besides, it just really isn't Ron's style.

However, I haven't seen the actual thing.

I'll give you the male/female thing some credit. I'm personally not seeing gender in this, but I can't speak for Iowans. I met a guy who likes Bachmann and Paul...if Paul can get his numbers up. I brought up Bachmann's liberalness and he said "I know" and how disappointed he is with these people he used to trust. I think these people are literally denying reality and pushing it to the back corners of their mind. I think we need to just keep on reminding them until it's front and center of their reality.

You know the #1 rule of advertising is, right? Repetition. That's how we get inside the voter's minds and create attributes of each candidate that we want to be sort of synonymous with their name. Mitt Romney - RomneyCare. Bachmann - IRS/Stimulus.

That's how you win an election in my opinion or a big part at least.

sailingaway
07-30-2011, 07:26 AM
I'll give you the male/female thing some credit. I'm personally not seeing gender in this, but I can't speak for Iowans. I met a guy who likes Bachmann and Paul...if Paul can get his numbers up. I brought up Bachmann's liberalness and he said "I know" and how disappointed he is with these people he used to trust. I think these people are literally denying reality and pushing it to the back corners of their mind. I think we need to just keep on reminding them until it's front and center of their reality.

You know the #1 rule of advertising is, right? Repetition. That's how we get inside the voter's minds and create attributes of each candidate that we want to be sort of synonymous with their name. Mitt Romney - RomneyCare. Bachmann - IRS/Stimulus.

That's how you win an election in my opinion or a big part at least.

I think most in Iowa who like Bachmann and Paul will like Bachmann more not Paul if they think Paul is attacking her. Or will turn elsewhere. That is based on my discussions with Iowans phone banking. If someone ELSE pointed out her bad points fine, or if supporters say 'she's nice, ....but Ron's long consistency to Constitutional principles and a balanced budget even when it wasn't fashionable put Ron over the top for me',... then it doesn't sound like an attack. But those who like her may not know her but they are FOND of the idea of who she is. A side by side voting record comparison would be ok, though, of him, Bachmann and Pawlenty (only in Iowa since Pawlenty is a nonentity anywhere else.) So since I haven't seen these mailers they may be ok. I'm just concerned with the idea someone LESS practiced than the campaign may be sending stuff out in Ron's name, not making it clear it didn't come from him.

MRoCkEd
07-30-2011, 07:31 AM
I hope we can get a pdf somewhere.

Bruno
07-30-2011, 08:25 AM
I can't wait to get home (in Ames for the night) to see if there is a flyer in my mailbox. And I'm glad to see the gloves off somewhat. That is what he needs to do - careful, targeted attacks on the records of his opponents.

UtahApocalypse
07-30-2011, 08:40 AM
We need to see the entire letter, before anyone here should make any judgements.

I am 80% certain this is the Grassroots Press and not from the Campaign. I have not gone through to check the quotes, but if anyone has the time:

http://www.thegrassrootspress.com/drafts/RPGRP_IA_Final.pdf

That is the FINAL copy not the draft.

JamesButabi
07-30-2011, 08:52 AM
I am 80% certain this is the Grassroots Press and not from the Campaign. I have not gone through to check the quotes, but if anyone has the time:

No Romney picture with the caption they suggest in the grassroots press.

trey4sports
07-30-2011, 09:01 AM
I'm pretty sure this is from the actual campaign. The grassroots press is not mailing their paper

Bruno
07-30-2011, 09:06 AM

http://www.thegrassrootspress.com/drafts/RPGRP_IA_Final.pdf

That is the FINAL copy not the draft.

I don't think that is the same flyer they are talking about, but it is awesome! :)

UtahApocalypse
07-30-2011, 09:21 AM
No Romney picture with the caption they suggest in the grassroots press.

Yeah, now that I had a minute to go through it, and the article its not that.