PDA

View Full Version : Debt limit failure would be 'totally devastating' to military, vets

moderate libertarian
07-29-2011, 08:51 PM
Debt limit failure would be 'totally devastating' to military, vets

Published: July 26, 2011
WASHINGTON — White House officials have told veterans groups that failure by Congress to approve a debt ceiling increase would be “totally devastating” for active-duty troops and veterans, but offered few specifics on which services and benefits are at risk.

Veterans groups said administration officials would not promise that military paychecks and veterans benefits would continue to be paid even if a deal isn’t reached, saying that a default would be an unprecedented event in American history.

http://www.stripes.com/news/debt-limit-failure-would-be-totally-devastating-to-military-vets-1.150219

nobody's_hero
07-29-2011, 09:03 PM
Nah, wars are devastating to the military. Giving veterans the shaft is just politics as usual.

They'll have to explain to the veterans why foreign German contractors working on U.S. bases in Germany will still be getting paid to work on a base built to defend Germany against um, nobody (USSR collapsed 20 years ago)—but veterans won't be getting the benefits they thought they would get.

James Madison
07-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Because all of those wars and massive inflation are exactly what our military and vets need.

/s

flightlesskiwi
07-29-2011, 09:11 PM
i wondered when they were gonna pull out this card.

btw: stripes is a f-ing joke. (i've had a few arguments with my DH from him reading the crap in stars and stripes)

SWATH
07-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Will not raising the debt ceiling result in 4000+ dead soldiers?

pcosmar
07-29-2011, 09:17 PM
What will be devastating is the total economic collapse that is coming.

Troops should be making their own plans for transportation home.

XNavyNuke
07-29-2011, 09:21 PM
And "Veterans Groups" promise not to encourage a Veterans Expeditionary Group to march on DC ans set up a shanty town until payments are made. (circa 1932)

XNN