PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a New Generation of Moneybomb

dusman
07-29-2011, 03:58 PM
So, I've been thinking of a way to make the moneybombs more exciting and hype-worthy, while using somewhat of a competitive influence to attract more involvement.

The guy who started the thread about matching his $250.00, got me thinking. I wanted to post this here, BRIEFLY, and get some opinions.
http://www.creativesagest.com/moneybomb.pdf

What about smaller donations? How do they fair under this kind of model?
http://www.creativesagest.com/small-moneybomb.pdf

I only went 10 tiers deep, but you can see the impact. This would be pretty easy for me to create on a web platform and would officially kill these boring pledge pages we have had this time around.

JamesButabi
07-29-2011, 04:02 PM
I understand it, but most people I think would be overwhelmed.

dusman
07-29-2011, 04:11 PM
I understand it, but most people I think would be overwhelmed.

Well, this is just an excel breakdown in a linear format. The user interface would be amazingly simple and easy to understand.

dusman
07-29-2011, 04:31 PM
This is just a quick throw together, but the interaction might look something like this:

http://www.creativesagest.com/moneybomb-ui.gif

Essentially, the bigger the initial challenge, the further out the pledge amount gets redistributed and higher totals.

Ben Richards
07-29-2011, 04:43 PM
I think the goal should be to transition from money bombs to something that accomplishes the same amount of money raised and attracts more media attention in a post-2007 world. The good news is that the money bombs are forcing people to donate early enough to make a difference so until something as effective can be made, I don't think our goal should be 6-7 million dollar days.

dusman
07-29-2011, 04:45 PM
I think the goal should be to transition from money bombs to something that accomplishes the same amount of money raised and attracts more media attention in a post-2007 world. The good news is that the money bombs are forcing people to donate early enough to make a difference so until something as effective can be made, I don't think our goal should be 6-7 million dollar days.

Did you look at the pdf? That was the entire purpose. There is not the same draw to the moneybombs this time around just yet. However, what really made them soar before was they were a new innovation in a way. I agree that it needs to transition from the TRADITIONAL moneybombs.

Turning a $2,000 pledge into a $6,867 pledge is the point.

Ben Richards
07-29-2011, 05:24 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about, the pdf comes off as gibberish.

mport1
07-29-2011, 11:41 PM
I think this is a great idea. We definitely need to try something new.

Pheonix
07-29-2011, 11:51 PM
Do you think you could break down the idea a little more? I think if people understood it better they'd appreciate the idea more. From what I understood of the plan, I found it to be quite impressive and wielding of much potential.

dusman
07-30-2011, 05:03 PM
Do you think you could break down the idea a little more? I think if people understood it better they'd appreciate the idea more. From what I understood of the plan, I found it to be quite impressive and wielding of much potential.

Yeah, I see that my brainstorm was confusing. Here is a better demonstration of this I think:

http://www.creativesagest.com/moneystream-flow.gif

You could then have many of these going at a time on a pledge page. Something pretty interactive that makes it a lot more interesting going up to a moneybomb.

Compare this to the PDF to understand it expanding past this one iteration demonstrated here.

Something people visit daily will get shared by people daily. "What's my pledge at now?"

mport1
07-30-2011, 06:27 PM
I'd definitely like to see this in action. Sounds like a very cool idea.

sailingaway
07-30-2011, 06:38 PM
The thing is, people do those 'match' threads because the personal interaction encourages donations. We'd have to try this to see if it works the same way. I'm not tech at all, and I don't get it, but it might be brilliant for all I know.

FSP-Rebel
07-30-2011, 06:46 PM
This looks like it could work on sites like this or DP but seems kind of in depth to catch on with non-denizen Paul supporters anytime soon, tho I could be wrong. The vast bulk of Paul donations come via email pushes at the end of the qtr or prior to and on moneybomb days. Both ways seem to have the donor believe their money is augmented by others'. Guess we could give it a trial run and see what happens. Less than 2 weeks to raise that million and a half.

asurfaholic
07-30-2011, 06:47 PM
I think I sort of understand it. I think it could be popular. Something like a game...

one question... when does the "game" end? When does the original challenger know when he needs to donate?

dusman
07-30-2011, 07:49 PM
Well I know one of the big topics this time around is the lack of the pledge counter. This was an important motivator in the past, because it gave people a reason to come back over and over, building up their own hype as it grew. I'm disappointed to not see it this time around and relying on Facebook for this is a really bad idea.

But, in the spirit of being innovative, we need something new. This would need to be put into a demo to make much sense, there is only so far I can go to explain it in a linear way. This would be a very easy process to engage with, however.

There would need to be an end total. I was thinking once it got to 50 in a stream, it finalizes the pledges. I think on a $1,000 initial challenge, that would put it at around $100.00 across the board for everyone in that stream. However, this would work for a $250.00 challenge, as shown in the alternative spreadsheet.

The important thing is, this encourages people who've made a pledge to get others involved, so they don't have to pledge as much. The challenger goes below what his intended pledge would have been, but encourages more participation to compensate. It's a win-win.

sailingaway
07-30-2011, 08:38 PM
well, there are people, such as myself, who never pledge and just donate, because we don't like to be on lists. Just puttin' that out there....

dusman
07-30-2011, 08:42 PM
well, there are people, such as myself, who never pledge and just donate, because we don't like to be on lists. Just puttin' that out there....

Yeah, one of the conclusions I've come to with this idea, is that it might be better to maintain a level of anonymity here.