PDA

View Full Version : RALLY around the Philly Rally!

Sematary
11-01-2007, 10:41 AM
In case you HADN'T heard, the campaign decided to change the venue for the rally, leaving possibly THOUSANDS of people high and dry. Not only have 10's of thousands of flyers been distributed but people from all over the nation have made travel plans, booked hotel rooms, etc... to come to this event!

So, FIRST, we ALL need to call the campaign HQ and ask them to stick to the original venue! This is a MUST!

By Phone

703-248-9115

By Email

mail@ronpaul2008.com

IF we fail and cannot get the campaign to see the error of their ways, then we need to plan on how to get all of these people (many of whom are travelling on a shoestring) to the new location (wherever that might be). I've spoken to people in Philly and they feel the campaign should pay for buses but that might not happen. So those of us who are planning on being there should help with rides (if possible). I already have a full car but I would gladly join a caravan (or a march - if the venue is close). The date is still on their site and thousands of people have already made their plans - so let's try to make this thing ROCK no matter what.

We need ideas and we need them now. The rally is only a week away and I don't want ANYONE canceling their plans because of a change of venue!

werdd
11-01-2007, 10:44 AM
how far away is the new venue from the old?

hopeforamerica
11-01-2007, 10:46 AM

Very good question. Maybe a have a bus at the old venue to transport people to the new one? That shouldn't be too expensive if cost is the issue.

margomaps
11-01-2007, 10:46 AM
We don't know where the new venue is yet. The two possibilities I've heard are: University of Pennsylvania campus (a few miles away -- a quick subway ride from Independence Mall), and Valley Forge National Park -- about 25 miles from downtown.

Sematary
11-01-2007, 10:47 AM

If it's Valley Forge it's like 20 miles and not easily accessible through public transportation. If it's PA University it's an hour walk or a few minutes drive but not big enough to hold all the people planning to attend.

Stealth4
11-01-2007, 10:48 AM

Sematary,

AFAIK there never was an "original venue" agreed to by the campaign. Just the one on your website which the campaign never agreed to.

Also it looks like the rally still will be held in Philly just not in the exact location YOU want.

Stop spreading Rumors and hurting the campaign. Its ok to discuss the possible locations and eventually recommend to the campaign what we want, but right now you seem to have a personal agenda because the campaign hasnt agreed to the venue you picked without concurence from them.

Sematary
11-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Very good question. Maybe a have a bus at the old venue to transport people to the new one? That shouldn't be too expensive if cost is the issue.

If they move it (and I'm hoping we can prevent that) then I'd like to organize (per someone elses suggestion) either a caravan (for rides as well as propoganda) or a march to the new location.

Sematary
11-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Sematary,

AFAIK there never was an "original venue" agreed to by the campaign. Just the one on your website which the campaign never agreed to.

Also it looks like the rally still will be held in Philly just not in the exact location YOU want.

Stop spreading Rumors and hurting the campaign. Its ok to discuss the possible locations and eventually recommend to the campaign what we want, but right now you seem to have a personal agenda because the campaign hasnt agreed to the venue you picked without concurence from them.

For your info - I was asked many weeks ago to relinquish the permit for the venue to the campaign (which I did). Now, tell me, why would they ask for the permit, if they weren't planning on using the venue. The FACT is, my friend, that they agreed to this venue (per my contacts) weeks ago, and the date and have now changed their mind.
YOU are not involved in anything as far as this goes and therefore have no idea what is going on.

Brinck Slattery
11-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Please don't inundate the campaign office with calls - they're busy enough with this new spam crap to deal with.

brandon
11-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Sematary,

STFU dude, you have no idea what's going on so keep your mouth shut. It was agreed to be at indy mall.

American
11-01-2007, 10:54 AM
WHOA WHOA WHOA, what else would Dr. Paul be giving up. I'm sorry if its national coverage on a main stream show or this rally - it might suck for you guys but I vote for national coverage.

Thats just simple logic, nothing personal. I hope thats not the case..but come on.

brandon
11-01-2007, 10:57 AM
WHOA WHOA WHOA, what else would Dr. Paul be giving up. I'm sorry if its national coverage on a main stream show or this rally - it might suck for you guys but I vote for national coverage.

Thats just simple logic, nothing personal. I hope thats not the case..but come on.

We had Dateline, nick news, and local media all coming to indy mall for the rally.

mrd
11-01-2007, 11:05 AM
If someone is offering national coverage on a main stream show, ask them to remote interview at the rally! Seriously, how hard can it be to do this? Newscasters do it daily!

Sematary
11-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Please don't inundate the campaign office with calls - they're busy enough with this new spam crap to deal with.

Sure, let's just allow them to screw up thousands of dollars worth of work, hundreds of manhours and the travel plans of scores of people so that they don't get "bothered".

Sematary
11-01-2007, 11:12 AM

Since the rally is still planned for the same date and time, I would say it isn't a conflict in scheduling.

terlinguatx
11-01-2007, 11:12 AM

terlinguatx
11-01-2007, 11:19 AM

Sematary
11-01-2007, 11:20 AM
We had Dateline, nick news, and local media all coming to indy mall for the rally.

Don't forget Nightline.

Hurricane Bruiser
11-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Make sure everyone RSVP's at the campaign's website so that they know the we need a big venue to hold everyone.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=dBjFsj_2beVwWkQTcU_2bTekYA_3d_3d

McDermit
11-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Seriously. There were TONS of media people coming to the rally... this was going to be ten times bigger and better than the Chicago rally coverage.

McDermit
11-01-2007, 11:22 AM
events@ronpaul2008.com might be a better address to get through or press@ronpaul2008.com

Don't flood the press contacts. That would seriously hurt the campaign's ability to respond to media inquiries, which they already have a hard enough time doing!

slantedview
11-01-2007, 11:29 AM

The venue that semetary "wants" is the one that WE ALL selected by popular vote. It was chosen for a SPECIFIC reason.

slantedview
11-01-2007, 11:45 AM
events@ronpaul2008.com might be a better address to get through or press@ronpaul2008.com

I just wrote a "scathing" letter. I am dead fucking pissed off about this.

Primbs
11-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Phili is a small town. Ron Paul could walk through the streets with a permit of course down to Independence hall. Just give Ron Paul a megaphone like George Bush at ground zero. There are other parks even closer than U Penn.

Ann Stone and her pro choice republicans held a march with a thousand people during the RNC convention.

ItsTime
11-01-2007, 11:49 AM
And people wonder why Ron Paul supporters get bad press. You all flood Ron Pauls own Email with emails and it costs him $1000s to delete all your self-richeous crap.

I just wrote a "scathing" letter. I am dead fucking pissed off about this.

Sematary
11-01-2007, 11:50 AM
And people wonder why Ron Paul supporters get bad press. You all flood Ron Pauls own Email with emails and it costs him $1000s to delete all your self-richeous crap.

bullshit

slantedview
11-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Yes, my concern for the rally is self righteous. Don't be an idiot.

There is nothing "self-richeous" about insisting that the enormous effort, planning, and grassroots support that STARTED this rally must not be considered less valuable than any sum of money necessary to keep the rally on track as planned. Changing it at this stage would have a much greater cost. There is NO excuse.

slantedview
11-01-2007, 11:57 AM

There is nothing "self-richeous" about insisting that the enormous effort, planning, and grassroots support that STARTED this rally (in case you didn't know, the rally started HERE) must not be considered less valuable than any sum of money necessary to keep the rally on track as planned. Changing it at this stage would have a much greater cost. There is NO excuse.

ItsTime
11-01-2007, 11:58 AM
I am not the idiot that thinks that HQ does not read the board so they have to flood the email and phone lines with bullshit.

This like ad #1 is no big deal.

There is nothing "self-richeous" about insisting that the enormous effort, planning, and grassroots support that STARTED this rally must not be considered less valuable than any sum of money necessary to keep the rally on track as planned. Changing it at this stage would have a much greater cost. There is NO excuse.

Sematary
11-01-2007, 12:01 PM
I am not the idiot that thinks that HQ does not read the board so they have to flood the email and phone lines with bullshit.

So what if they read the board? People NEED to let them know that his isn't acceptable at this stage of the game.

slantedview
Wrong, this is a big fucking deal.

Ad #1 was 1 of 5, with probably many more to follow.

This is (was?) to be the absolute biggest rally of the campaign.

ItsTime
There you go, you just let them know... wasnt that easy?

So what if they read the board? People NEED to let them know that his isn't acceptable at this stage of the game.

Sematary
11-01-2007, 12:05 PM

It doesn't have quite the same impact as a phone call or an email dude. Sorry.

McDermit

You don't seriously think that whoever is heading up the rally plans is sitting here reading this board, do you? :rolleyes:

Sematary
Wrong, this is a big fucking deal.

Ad #1 was 1 of 5, with probably many more to follow.

This is (was?) to be the absolute biggest rally of the campaign.

And it still will be if we allow make it so.

ItsTime
11-01-2007, 12:07 PM
They have someone check the board that is FACT

You don't seriously think that whoever is heading up the rally plans is sitting here reading this board, do you? :rolleyes:

ItsTime
11-01-2007, 12:07 PM
Your right it does not cost the campaign money... this is a BETTER impact.

It doesn't have quite the same impact as a phone call or an email dude. Sorry.

Sematary
11-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Your right it does not cost the campaign money... this is a BETTER impact.

Really? YOU don't have a clue what you are talking about.
Do you think Amnesty has been killed three times because some people on the internet posted some shit on boards like these? Hell no! It was killed three times because tens or hundreds of thousands of grass roots activists got off their assess and crashed the Congressional switchboard and email systems. THAT is how you get shit done! NOT by sitting here complaining about it!

ItsTime
11-01-2007, 12:12 PM
So you advocate crashing the Ron Paul system?? Are you crazy? Get a grip. The campaign READS THE BOARD. NO need to crash their system.

Really? YOU don't have a clue what you are talking about.
Do you think Amnesty has been killed three times because some people on the internet posted some shit on boards like these? Hell no! It was killed three times because tens or hundreds of thousands of grass roots activists got off their assess and crashed the Congressional switchboard and email systems. THAT is how you get shit done! NOT by sitting here complaining about it!

eyeswideopen
11-01-2007, 12:12 PM
I understand this is a grassroots effort and that we are passionate about our candidate but please allow this old woman to offer some uninvited advice.

If in the future the campaign notifies a state coordinator or whomever about an unexpected change in venue:

1. If the coordinator feels the need to share the information, share it with key individuals only with a notice of: NOT FOR GENERAL DISTRIBUTION.

2. Once the new plans have been confirmed then distribute the information to the general public as you see fit.

Everyone is getting all upset (and rightly so if indeed no refund airline tickets and/or hotel reservations are involved) when in reality everything could turn out fine.

Can we all just take a deep breath … or a Xanax … and wait and see what happens?

Brian Bailey
11-01-2007, 12:13 PM
A lot of you are acting in a very counterproductive manner about this.

Why would you flood the campaign HQ with complaints? Do you really think they would make a decision without the best interests of the campaign in mind?

At this point everything you are talking about is mere speculation.

I repeat, you are gathering the pitchforks and storming the castle (a castle occupied by your kindred spirits, I might add) based on pure speculation.

For all you know, they might have something better planned.

RobS
11-01-2007, 12:15 PM
I understand this is a grassroots effort and that we are passionate about our candidate but please allow this old woman to offer some uninvited advice.

If in the future the campaign notifies a state coordinator or whomever about an unexpected change in venue:

1. If the coordinator feels the need to share the information, share it with key individuals only with a notice of: NOT FOR GENERAL DISTRIBUTION.

2. Once the new plans have been confirmed then distribute the information to the general public as you see fit.

Everyone is getting all upset (and rightly so if indeed no refund airline tickets and/or hotel reservations are involved) when in reality everything could turn out fine.

Can we all just take a deep breath … or a Xanax … and wait and see what happens?

Quote for the win.

We're on the same team people.

Primbs
11-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Campaigns make mistakes all the time. Candidates make gaffes and people are fallible.

constituent
11-01-2007, 12:19 PM
They have someone check the board that is FACT

now that's a waste of campaign money.

ItsTime
11-01-2007, 12:24 PM
I dont know... 10,000 emails to answer 10 mins reading a board... 1000 phone calls to answer 10 mins reading a board...

now that's a waste of campaign money.