PDA

View Full Version : Religion Dispatches: Doug Wead's conversion led to Ron Paul's faithness

harikaried
07-29-2011, 08:10 AM
Good article about why what Doug Wead does is important.

http://www.religiondispatches.org/dispatches/sarahposner/4899/the_political_strategist%27s_conversion_that_led_t o_ron_paul%27s_new_faithiness/

There's a new Facebook group, Evangelicals for Ron Paul, the brainchild of the architect of both President Bushes' evangelical outreach strategy.

The development signals a new approach by Paul, who, despite being a favorite of homeschoolers, a student of Christian Reconstructionist economics, and a committed foe of legal abortion, has never really played the religion card like a good, lock-step Republican. But recently he brought on Doug Wead as a senior advisor to his campaign.

Wead told me that he encouraged Paul to dust off a 2007 "Statement of Faith" after a meeting with David Lane, the evangelical organizer who is a big player in the Rick Perry prayer rally and was behind the Pastors' Policy Briefings from which Paul and other GOP candidates were excluded during the 2008 primaries. Lane, said Wead, "wanted something more religious, I guess, something that would cover him with his base if he had Paul come in." But, Wead added, "Ron wouldn't help him at all" because he's "just not a panderer." Lane, Wead concluded, "has found his guy in Rick Perry." (Lane did not respond to requests for comment.)

sailingaway
07-29-2011, 08:26 AM
"faithness"?

Is that sort of like 'truthiness'?

Feeding the Abscess
07-29-2011, 08:27 AM
But, Wead added, "Ron wouldn't help him at all" because he's "just not a panderer."

Amen.

harikaried
07-29-2011, 08:28 AM
Oh oops, I got the wrong title, should be "Faithiness" as from the article. Although that's not a real word either ;)

acptulsa
07-29-2011, 08:29 AM
"faithness"?

Is that sort of like 'truthiness'?

This.

And the headline is abysmal. As the story itself points out. They admit Ron Paul won't pander, yet craft a headline designed to make it appear that all of this is nothing but pandering.

Fail. Anyone who can't read past their deliberately deceptive headline is being woefully misled.