PDA

View Full Version : Why would govt need to buy scents that smell like rotting corpses? (serious question)

devil21
07-28-2011, 03:36 PM
I heard from a reliable source today that a local company that manufactures various scents for various industries makes and sells a "rotting corpse" scent specifically made for and sold to government.

This company makes things like subtle scents that drift through stores to entice people to buy or doctor's offices to calm people's nerves, etc. You'd be surprised how many places actually use these products and you probably don't realize it.

But yeah, "rotting corpse" scent is made and sold to government. I can't think of a single reason why govt would need such a scent manufactured. Anybody have any thoughts??

belian78
07-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Training cadaver dogs?

devil21
07-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Training cadaver dogs?

Good thought.

Anybody else? I thought maybe for use in torture chambers for added grossness.

pcosmar
07-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Misdirection.

Training cadaver dogs?
Doubts.
Dogs would recognize a false scent. It might fool people, but not dogs.

And why would you want a dog to search for a false (Manufactured) scent?

devil21
07-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Misdirection.

Elaborate.

pcosmar
07-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Elaborate.

Want a search warrant?
Want an area cleared for official presence only?

Want to clear a building(for whatever reason).

devil21
07-28-2011, 03:51 PM
Ah ok I follow ya.

There are indeed artificial cadaver dog training scents so it seems reasonable. Only thing that throws me off is that apparently most cadaver dogs are privately owned and NOT government property.

Sam I am
07-28-2011, 03:56 PM
I heard from a reliable source today

What source?

devil21
07-28-2011, 04:05 PM
What source?

Significant other.

Acala
07-28-2011, 04:25 PM
It would help to have a particular chemical name. Are we talking about mercaptans?

devil21
07-28-2011, 04:27 PM
It would help to have a particular chemical name. Are we talking about mercaptans?

No idea and no technical knowledge of the subject. Just know it's a company that makes scents for various commercial uses and government buys one that intentionally smells like dead people. Trying to figure out why. My SO was warned that you don't want to be around the factory on the day it's being made.....

Revolution9
07-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Putrescine maybe?

Rev9

pcosmar
07-28-2011, 04:40 PM
My only thought is Human conditioning and desensitization.

And yes, that is an ugly thought.

Acala
07-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Among other things, mercaptans are used to odorize oderless gasses so leaks can be detected. It's a safety issue.

tangent4ronpaul
07-28-2011, 05:56 PM
You guys don't understand intent and purpose....

http://metrospysupply.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MSS&Product_Code=NI-ROADKILL&Category_Code=NVTLY

same company makes what you are talking about.

-t

devil21
07-28-2011, 05:59 PM
You guys don't understand intent and purpose....

http://metrospysupply.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MSS&Product_Code=NI-ROADKILL&Category_Code=NVTLY

same company makes what you are talking about.

-t

But why would gov't need it?

Carson
07-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Resorted to my Google Foo and found pretty much nothing except a bunch of stories on the Corpse flower.

Oh and this thread listed first.

Then I came across this thesis;

http://www.scribd.com/doc/16638345/Laura-Skelton-Scent-Thesis

Decay

Parallel to the notion that pleasant smells signify sanctity was the idea that evil
stank. The scent of decay came from hell, witches' dens, graveyards, sewers, garbage dumps, and sick wards. Vivid descriptions of hellish regions often mentioned their horrible, rotting, sulpherous stench. Witches emitted satanic odors and carefully
cultivated noxious breath to use as a weapon. They developed bodily stench from
spending time collecting ingredients for their deadly brews from graveyards and
gallows22. The idea of the mine as an abyss of hell is referenced in one early 19th century story. When a young man looks into the entrance to the deep mine, he sees that "In the abyss there were stones—slag, or burned-out ores—lying around in a wild jumble, and sulfurous gases rose steadily from the depths as if a hellish brew were boiling, the vapors of which were poisoning all of nature's green delights"23. Just like the priests created pleasant fragrances to waft through the holy spaces, witches created foul-smelling brews to work evil powers.

The witch part must be the answer.

Maybe the witches want to drive the homeless out of their camps.?

P.S. From the same thesis;

They have a far larger library of pre-blended scents than
Snip...
provides environmental
scenting services to a long list of businesses, including retailers, entertainment centers,
hotels, food companies, groceries, convenience stores, and the government (rotting
corpse scent for battlefield simulation).

Rael
07-28-2011, 11:56 PM
They also make pellets that smell like dope when burned so officers can learn to detect the scent of marijuana.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
07-29-2011, 12:10 AM
It is my understanding that military morgue teams and morticians undergo training that prepares their senses for the sights and smells of bodies that could have been left laying in the hot sun for days or weeks. My guess would be that the government could be purchasing this scent to use as a training tool for this purpose.

Legend1104
07-29-2011, 12:20 AM
Best guesses:
1.) Zombie Apocalypse (if you smell like a zombie then your less likely to get eaten by one)
2.) Take out political opponents by droping one of those babies in their car. Instant campaign killer if you are put away for murder.
3.) Bait

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
07-29-2011, 01:46 AM
It could also be going to the National Zoo, National Aquarium or to the National Park Service. The zoo and aquarium system keeps and breeds a lot of scavenger animals who find their food by the stench of rotting flesh. So they could be scenting freshly killed prey to induce feeding in species that are otherwise hard to feed in captivity. I also know that the NPS deals with wildlife rehabilitation in some parks and they may be using the scent for the same reason as the zoo's and aquariums.