PDA

View Full Version : Wtf??

brandon
11-01-2007, 09:43 AM
I just read the news. This is insane. We have spent hundred of hours and thousands of dollars promoting this event in philly. We have thousands of people that will not hear this news, and will still show up at indy mall expecting a rally. We have had massive media coverage of this event in philly following our presence at the democratic debate. We had a media event with comcast this afternoon.

WHAT THE FUCK??

Everyone please call the campaign and urge them to have the rally as planned.

drexhex
11-01-2007, 09:47 AM
Did you see my suggestion? Yes, people are going to show up. But that doesn't mean we can't make the best of a bad situation.

This is my post in the "The campaign 'foolishly imo'..." thread (Link (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=337160&postcount=111))

Here's something I just came up with...

Because of the amount of people coming, there can logically be 2 different rallies. One official one, where anybody who knows about the change can go to, and one grassroots one at Independence Mall that would only last an hour or so, and then we could march!

On the 10th, have people at Independence Mall to explain the move. Also say that because of the move and so many people coming to Independence Mall, there's going to be a march at 1PM. At that time, have Ron Paul Revolution signs in the front of the group and lead everyone to the new location of the rally (if it's within walking distance, of course). If it's on Penn's campus, it would take about 1 hour to get there. That would leave about an hour for the official rally. Since there's already going to be so many people who know about the switch, having everyone else come in like that would really show how much support President Paul is getting.

It might be a crazy idea, but so is moving the rally so close to the date. If we're expecting thousands of people and half of them don't know about the switch, having a few thousand people march in Philly would, IMO, be a great opportunity.

Let's try to make the most of this!

If the distance is a problem, filling up the subway with people would be awesome too. Also, if it's in Valley Forge, I say we just have 2 different rallies completely.

brandon
11-01-2007, 09:47 AM
I dont think you guys understand the extent to which the philly meetup has promoted this event. Over 30,000 flyers were purchased, and most have been distributed to people who have no way of knowing the location has changed.

brandon
11-01-2007, 09:49 AM
Did you see my suggestion? Yes, people are going to show up. But that doesn't mean we can't make the best of a bad situation.

This is my post in the "The campaign 'foolishly imo'..." thread (Link (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=337160&postcount=111))

Yes at this point, that is the best alternative. However, I will not settle for an alternative today. Today we need to push the campaign to have the rally as planned.

drexhex
11-01-2007, 09:51 AM
We know. Read what I suggested. We have 2 rallies. People are talking about an emergency fund to get the campaign to come back. If that isn't going to work, why not have an emergency fund to push this idea through, along with a march?

Oh, and before someone decides to mention this: we don't have a permit for a march, but you don't need one to walk on the sidewalk (AFAIK). The fact that we're all together in a group does not remove our right to walk on the sidewalk.

drexhex
11-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Yes at this point, that is the best alternative. However, I will not settle for an alternative today. Today we need to push the campaign to have the rally as planned.

No matter how hard we push, there's always a big chance that it won't happen. We've been thrown into crisis mode and it could turn into damage control mode. It's time to start planning for that possibility.

kylejack
11-01-2007, 09:53 AM
Our lives will not be complete until 36 more people start a new thread about this rather than posting in the existing threads.

brandon
11-01-2007, 09:54 AM
This deserved it's own thread. Everyone else who started threads has not been in philly putting in the effort we have.

kylejack
11-01-2007, 09:56 AM
This deserved it's own thread. Everyone else who started threads has not been in philly putting in the effort we have.
There are half a dozen threads on this, so what do you mean it deserves its own thread? Like I said, we need 36 more, so that all the discussion is all over the place and difficult to look through.

McDermit
11-01-2007, 09:59 AM
No matter how hard we push, there's always a big chance that it won't happen. We've been thrown into crisis mode and it could turn into damage control mode. It's time to start planning for that possibility.
We need to fight the campaign on this and make it happen as planned.

Are you really content to sit by and let HQ RUIN an event that we have put money and effort into? An event that will make media waves and possibly go down in the history books?

Someone at HQ needs a fucking wake up call. This is NOT a top-down campaign. RP gets that. But apparently, someone on his staff doesn't.

drexhex
11-01-2007, 10:05 AM
We need to fight the campaign on this and make it happen as planned.

Are you really content to sit by and let HQ RUIN an event that we have put money and effort into? Someone at HQ needs a fucking wake up call. This is NOT a top-down campaign. RP gets that. But apparently, someone on his staff doesn't.

I understand that, I really do. I'm even calling their campaign headquarters. I totally agree, this is complete BS and someone does need to get a slap upside the head for this decision. However, I'm trying to be realistic and am trying to get a plan together JUST IN CASE we can't convince the campaign to change their mind about moving it.

There's going to be thousands coming to Independence Mall with or without the official campaign rally being held there. There needs to be some sort of plan of action even if it's just to get people rerouted to the main location. I suggested that we plan a rally there with or without the main rally, and then march to the real one. Not only would this show our support for President Paul throughout Philly (at least on the way there), but it would be a decent way to organize everyone instead of just saying "go to 38th and Walnut" (arbitrary location on UPenn's campus).

thehittgirl
11-01-2007, 10:14 AM
I quit. I already booked my hotel.

drexhex
11-01-2007, 10:16 AM
It's not canceled, just potentially moved. It's still in Philly.

ItsTime
11-01-2007, 10:18 AM
has anyone ever thought that there are so many RSVPs that they can no longer hold it at the spot the meet up group picked?

SIMPLE solution. Have a few meet up members at the original site for those who did not know the rally was moved.

ItsTime
11-01-2007, 10:20 AM
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=dBjFsj_2beVwWkQTcU_2bTekYA_3d_3d

Show your support for Ron Paul at the the Ron Paul Rally in Philadelphia.

The Hope for America Tour is coming to Philadelphia on Saturday, November 10th at 12 NOON PM ET.

The rally location will be announced shortly.

Please fill out this RSVP form.

If you are attending as part of a larger group, please have your organizer or leader fill out this form. If you are attending as an individual, fill out this form for you and your guests.

It will also be broadcast live at http://www.justin.tv/ronpaul in case you can't make it to the event!

Ron Paul 2008 Presidential Campaign Committee

KewlRonduderules
11-01-2007, 10:23 AM

It is still on but we don't know where it is going to be. Something happened with Independence Hall.

As per the campaign, it was not about money.

Some question if it had to do with security- I doubt it.

Something else is at work here.

Possible establishment intervention.

ItsTime
11-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Or as I said before there are too many people to fit there? All we can do is wait and see and react accordingly... this over reaction is mind blowing to me.

It is still on but we don't know where it is going to be. Something happened with Independence Hall.

As per the campaign, it was not about money.

Some question if it had to do with security- I doubt it.

Something else is at work here.

Possible establishment intervention.

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Possibly a UFO abducted one of RP's granddaughters and is holding her ransom until the rally is moved.

Look, the reality is the only place it has been promoted as definitely being at the Mall is on the unofficial rally site run by Sematary. Sematary is telling us he has not been in charge of what is going on for a long time now. We don't know who is in charge but obviously the Meetup and the official campaign have never promised us anything more than a rally in Philadelphia, not a specific location in Philadelphia. While I would like to see the original location go through, I'm increasingly insecure about where to lay the blame if it is changed. I know Semetary has worked very hard on this but if he has been promoting a firm location without there ever having been a firm commitment to that location then that is a problem.

brandon
11-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Possibly a UFO abducted one of RP's granddaughters and is holding her ransom until the rally is moved.

Look, the reality is the only place it has been promoted as definitely being at the Mall is on the unofficial rally site run by Sematary. Sematary is telling us he has not been in charge of what is going on for a long time now. We don't know who is in charge but obviously the Meetup and the official campaign have never promised us anything more than a rally in Philadelphia, not a specific location in Philadelphia. While I would like to see the original location go through, I'm increasingly insecure about where to lay the blame if it is changed. I know Semetary has worked very hard on this but if he has been promoting a firm location without there ever having been a firm commitment to that location then that is a problem.

It was confirmed by the campaign to be at indy mall. Please stop bashing philly meetup. Just two days ago you guys were praising us for the democratic debate, now people are trying to put the blame for this on us. It makes me sick.

brandon
11-01-2007, 10:40 AM
Or as I said before there are too many people to fit there? All we can do is wait and see and react accordingly... this over reaction is mind blowing to me.

No, the location can hold 5000+ people. I am sure there was room for everyone

brandon
11-01-2007, 10:42 AM
There are half a dozen threads on this, so what do you mean it deserves its own thread? Like I said, we need 36 more, so that all the discussion is all over the place and difficult to look through.

sorry if I made the discussion hard for you to follow. Get a fucking life man. You have no clue how angry people are that put so much effort into planning this. What did you do to plan it? Oh nothing, you have been too busy posting 5000 messages on this forum.

Dont tell me what to do. Fuck you.

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 10:43 AM

http://ronpaul.meetup.com/25/calendar/6608855/

No location provided by either the Meetup or the official campaign. I'm not blaming you. At this point it seems that Semetary has been spreading information about location that is unconfirmed. Obviously there is a failure of communication somewhere.

James R
11-01-2007, 10:43 AM

You're right... this speculation is pointless. I don't understand why headquarters has to keep us in the dark about what issue it is... security/money/overcrowding/insurance. I guess what I'm afraid of most is that the place was already planned for something else completely.

Sematary
11-01-2007, 10:44 AM

No location provided by either the Meetup or the official campaign.

The location has been set for over 2 months.

P.S. - if it wouldn't, how could they change it?

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 10:47 AM
I know that we have WANTED it there for more than 2 months. But has the campaign or the Meetup actually came out and officially promoted that location? I mean if it were set in stone they would have listed it on those sites, wouldn't they?

kylejack
11-01-2007, 10:51 AM
sorry if I made the discussion hard for you to follow. Get a fucking life man. You have no clue how angry people are that put so much effort into planning this. What did you do to plan it? Oh nothing, you have been too busy posting 5000 messages on this forum.

Dont tell me what to do. Fuck you.
Keeping things all together in fewer threads keeps it more organized, and allows us to discuss it in a more meaningful, coherent, and effective manner. Your thread title was not descriptive, and the content was not vastly different than the other dozen threads we have on this. I'm concerned about why the campaign did this as well, but starting new threads with non-descriptive titles is not an effective tactic.

And hey, since you went there, fuck you too.

FluffyUnbound
11-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Have we considered the possibility that Independence Hall just isn't available for an event of this type?

Isn't it a major Philly tourist attraction? Maybe the city doesn't want to shut it down for a day and won't allow them to use it. Or would limit how many people could attend.

It could be anything.

walt
11-01-2007, 10:53 AM

I agree with kylejack - people need to grow up on this issue and learn forum ediquette. The lack of it is becoming unbearable.

brandon
11-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Have we considered the possibility that Independence Hall just isn't available for an event of this type?

Isn't it a major Philly tourist attraction? Maybe the city doesn't want to shut it down for a day and won't allow them to use it. Or would limit how many people could attend.

It could be anything.

The permits for this event were obtained by semetary several months ago.

brandon
11-01-2007, 10:56 AM
I know that we have WANTED it there for more than 2 months. But has the campaign or the Meetup actually came out and officially promoted that location? I mean if it were set in stone they would have listed it on those sites, wouldn't they?

YES THE MEETUP HAS PROMOTED! This is the same meetup you saw on the democratic debate two nights ago! Think we are not promoting??? HA! We have distruted tens of thousands of very nice expensive flyers for this event.

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Yes, and it's a national park, not a city park.

hillertexas
11-01-2007, 10:57 AM
nn

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 10:58 AM
YES THE MEETUP HAS PROMOTED! This is the same meetup you saw on the democratic debate two nights ago! Think we are not promoting??? HA! We have distruted tens of thousands of very nice expensive flyers for this event.

Then why on the Meetup site does it say the location has not been chosen yet?

Listen, I'm not out to blame anyone. But I'm just wondering whether there has been a failure of communication somewhere. How can the official campaign and the Meetup sites say no location has been chosen and you guys are promoting a location? Why the disconnect?

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 10:59 AM
http://www.dailypaul.com/node/5218

The official site doesn't have any changes listed at all. The RP site doesn't have any changes listed. You'd think if they were changing something there'd be at least a passing mention on one of those two sites.
http://philly.ronpaulrally.org/inde...
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

I SAY SHOW SOME PROOF THAT IT HAS BEEN CHANGED

The ronpaulrally site is UNOFFICIAL and the OFFICIAL campaign has yet to announce ANY location other than Philadelphia. Nothing may have changed, it just may never have been settled on yet some people misunderstood it had.

brandon
11-01-2007, 10:59 AM
Then why on the Meetup site does it say the location has not been chosen yet?

Listen, I'm not out to blame anyone. But I'm just wondering whether there has been a failure of communication somewhere. How can the official campaign and the Meetup sites say no location has been chosen and you guys are promoting a location? Why the disconnect?

What meetup site ate you looking at???

http://ronpaul.meetup.com/972/calendar/6454815/

kylejack
11-01-2007, 11:00 AM
http://www.dailypaul.com/node/5218

The official site doesn't have any changes listed at all. The RP site doesn't have any changes listed. You'd think if they were changing something there'd be at least a passing mention on one of those two sites.
http://philly.ronpaulrally.org/inde...

I SAY SHOW SOME PROOF THAT IT HAS BEEN CHANGED

PA co-ordinator for the campaign has confirmed that its changing. The changes aren't listed because they're still setting it up.

brandon
11-01-2007, 11:00 AM
The ronpaulrally site is UNOFFICIAL and the OFFICIAL campaign has yet to announce ANY location other than Philadelphia. Nothing may have changed, it just may never have been settled on yet some people misunderstood it had.
//

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 11:05 AM

This is the Meetup that won the contest, isn't it?

brandon
11-01-2007, 11:07 AM
That "meetup" just changed the event info today. That meetup is not the active philly meetup, the one I linked to is.

slantedview
11-01-2007, 11:08 AM
This is BS, IMO. The original site was chosen for a specific reason, and by popular vote.

kylejack
11-01-2007, 11:09 AM
This is BS, IMO. The original site was chosen for a specific reason, and by popular vote.

Yes, but this is a RonPaulocracy, not a democracy.

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Not active? That's why 67 people have already rsvp'ed on their site?

You guys there in Philly need to stop your internal fighting and get your act together.

I'm not going to say anything more on this until everything is clear.

Sematary
11-01-2007, 11:22 AM

You guys there in Philly need to stop your internal fighting and get your act together.

Everything WAS together. It's not the Philly meetup that needs to get it's shit together.

Sematary
11-01-2007, 11:23 AM

There was no misunderstanding or miscommunication. The campaign decided at the last minute to change the venue. In my opinion, a truly stupid move of epic proportions.

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 11:27 AM
If the campaign had agreed with the location, why was it not listed on their rsvp page?

Sematary
11-01-2007, 11:29 AM
If the campaign had agreed with the location, why was it not listed on their rsvp page?

Because they have been wrestling with the money issue.

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 11:38 AM
Then why has your site been advertising it as THE location?

FluffyUnbound
11-01-2007, 11:39 AM
The permits for this event were obtained by semetary several months ago.

I didn't know that. Thanks.

Sematary
11-01-2007, 12:04 PM
Then why has your site been advertising it as THE location?

Because until today, it WAS.
Why are you questioning this. I relinquished the permit that Andy helped me to acquire for this venue. If the campaign didn't want it, then they shouldn't have asked for it. NOW, not only are they not intending on using it but WE can't use it either.

me3
11-01-2007, 12:07 PM
It's been about 5 hours. The rally is a few days away. They really need to get on this. I'm having a hard time believing they are collecting RSVPs for an event only a few days away without announcing a location.

kylejack
11-01-2007, 12:07 PM
You can't get it back?

Sematary
11-01-2007, 12:08 PM
You can't get it back?

What? The venue? Not likely. No time and no insurance.

brandon
11-01-2007, 12:09 PM

Yea dude, i'm sure you know all the details of what hapenned in philly. That meetup is not active. Why on earth would you want to argue with me? You know nothing about this situation. Please stop commenting in this thread, you are not involved. Stop spreading false information about a subject you know nothing about.

Tell us to get our act together?? What have you done? Did you see the 3 hours of free advertising our meetup got us on the democratic debate tuesday night?

Mind your own business.

McDermit
11-01-2007, 12:12 PM

George Feeser has, in essence, been ousted. There's a new Philly meetup. Just look at Feeser's group's calendar. EMPTY.

http://ronpaul.meetup.com/25/calendar/

972 is THE Philly meetup. The other one does nothing.

schvenzlerman
11-01-2007, 12:34 PM
It is 100% true that the campaign had committed to Indep. Mall. They made that decision in Sept.

The campaign's paid PA coordinator, Tom K., advised various of the Philly meetups' members this AM that the campaign had jettisoned the Mall location. It is solely related to cost and we are talking about something like $50k.

None of us are responsible for the fact that the campaign has failed to issue a press release on this matter. I note that Nefertiti claimed that she would post no further until this matter was sorted out. I wish that she would abide by that commitment. Stop crapping on Brandon and Sematary. I know those guys and they bust their balls for RP.

Yours very truly,

Schenzlerman!

me3
11-01-2007, 12:40 PM
Penny smart, dollar ...

terlinguatx
11-01-2007, 12:48 PM
I doubt even 1% of the people attending have RSVP'd the link is obscure and has only been up a week, and hasn't been promoted by the campaign. The media attention will make up for the cost 10 fold. Additionally with so many supporters in the area they could hold a pre-rally $250 fundraiser brunch to cover at least half the costs.

schvenzlerman
11-01-2007, 12:59 PM
1. Independence Mall is a high-profile venue befitting Ron Paul, a top-tier Presidential candidate. Penn's campus is not. Valley Forge is but it has logistical problems as below-noted.

2. The issue is about money. Ironically, two months ago our regional meetups were making preparations to raise the required funds until the campaign shut down that effort. We would have raised tens of thousands of dollars relatively easily.

3. The contemplated low and high-dollar fundraisers should be able to cover all rally costs and then some.

4. Many Philadelphians will not travel to Valley Forge. Mass transit is not convenient for that site and people go out of their way to avoid driving the Schuylkill aka "zoo-kill" Expressway (I-76). Additionally, many Philadelphians do not own cars due to lack of need.

5. Whether Valley Forge or Penn, many Paul supporters outside of the region will not travel to the rally if its scale is reduced as opposed to a large, national event. Drawing a crowd not exceeding one or two thousand people will be little noticed by the media. Been there, done that.

6. The media may make hay out of this decision to go small. Are we channeling John McCain now?

7. Axing the Independence Mall venue at this late date without concurrently announcing an alternate site is frankly a half-assed execution.

8. The regional Philly meetup groups have distributed well over ten thousand flyers advertising Independence Mall at college campuses and various other high-traffic (pedestrian) City and suburban locations. I gave out over 200 myself to trick-or-treaters' parents last night. This flyer effort, at OUR cost, was after the campaign confirmed the Mall venue. I can assure you that a great number of people ARE going to converge on the Mall and they will not be impressed to find only advice to travel to Penn or Valley Forge. Some of them will be seniors and disabled veterans. This logistical issue is solely of the campaign's making and it has a moral obligation to figure out how to accommodate these people. I suggest that the campaign is of necessity in the busing business now.

9. We just delivered $1 million of free advertising for Dr. Paul at the Drexel debates. I risked potential arrest by Drexel campus security when I angrily demanded that a pro-Hillary MSNBC goon return a Ron Paul R3volution banner that he had forcibly taken away from two of our crew (we got it back). Nobody screws with our campaigning for Dr. Paul and gets away with it.

10. This decision has demoralized a lot of supporters nationwide who recognize the symbolism of Independence Mall. For God's sake, this is where the former Constitution of the United States of America was given birth. We want Dr. Paul to reclaim it for all Americans right there on that hallowed ground.

I must confess extreme disappointment with this decision because it speaks to small vision and very poor execution. In fact, it is a blunder of colossal proportions that would get a person fired in the business world in two seconds flat. Properly done, the Mall event could have been an extraordinary platform and I shudder to think that Dr. Paul's quest could be lost on this decision.

I urge the campaign to revert to the Mall site. Whatever the campaign does not want to pay for, we can undertake those elements of cost if that's what it requires. This is Philadelphia and we will not, as Franklin would sternly warn against, be penny-wise and pound-foolish where our candidate is concerned. We intend to put Dr. Paul in the White House and nothing is going to get in our way and that includes you. That's just the way it is, so get with the program.

Yours very truly,

Schvenzlerman!

slantedview
11-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Schvenzlerman,

That was perfectly said. Please send that to the campaign, Tom, etc. via any means necessary (let me know if you need e-mail contacts).

abstrusezincate
11-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Just for clarification, I want you to know there were other issues being considered. In my capacity, I was not privy to all of these, but they went beyond any estimated costs.

I cannot attest to these personally, as I do not know those details, but I can say there were workarounds to cost issues, and so it was a series of reasons that led to this decision.

My belief is that what we have to do at this point, is work where we can, and not start dividing over this. The message is bigger than any one event, and if we remember that, it will serve us all for the best.

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Yea dude, i'm sure you know all the details of what hapenned in philly. That meetup is not active. Why on earth would you want to argue with me? You know nothing about this situation. Please stop commenting in this thread, you are not involved. Stop spreading false information about a subject you know nothing about.

Tell us to get our act together?? What have you done? Did you see the 3 hours of free advertising our meetup got us on the democratic debate tuesday night?

Mind your own business.

First of all, I am not a dude. Second of all, all I know is that George Feeser and the other members of your Meetup had issues with one another and I followed that for a bit because rumor had it he was accusing people of leaving him out of the loop about the rally, even though as I myself was the one who suggested the Mall in Philly in the first place, I had contacted him directly a few hours after the idea was hatched because I thought Philly Meetup needed to take the lead on it. I have not followed what the fallout of all that was though. That was a month and a half ago and I had no clue you had all formed a new group.

I happen to be in Chicago, where out Meetup leader did such a good job he is now the official state campaign chairman. I've been here campaigning for Ron Paul in Chicago, a few weeks ago we got Ron Paul on NBC nightly news with our march, and last weekend was out collecting signatures to get him on the ballot.

We don't have this drama and dysfunctional crap here. I'm sorry to see you guys have it and really I regret suggesting Philly in the first place because of what is happening now.

LibertyEagle
11-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Tom:

When is the campaign going to release the information? It has been hours.

brandon
11-01-2007, 02:37 PM
We don't have this drama and dysfunctional crap here. I'm sorry to see you guys have it and really I regret suggesting Philly in the first place because of what is happening now.

How many times do we have to tell you that the philly grassroots efforts is not responsible for this?

We don't have drama or dysfunction whatsoever. We are highly organized and active. We all get along great.

Please stop.

brandon
11-01-2007, 02:41 PM
The person to be held accountable is Tom, the PA state coordinator for the campaign. AKA abstrusezincate. It was not his decision to move the rally location, but he was the one who originally gave us the confirmation from the campaign. I'm sure it was an honest mistake.

The grassroots are not responsible whatsoever.

LibertyEagle
11-01-2007, 02:48 PM
There may well be a very good reason that we don't know about yet. Let's do our best to hang tight until we hear their reasoning, ok? :)

walt
11-01-2007, 02:51 PM
How many times do we have to tell you that the philly grassroots efforts is not responsible for this?

We don't have drama or dysfunction whatsoever. We are highly organized and active. We all get along great.

Please stop.

normally I'd agree, but their work at the democratic debate the other night speaks otherwise. The main campaign is completely clueless. This is exactly what happened to Tsongas in 92 - the campaign HQ did not listen to the grassroots.

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 02:57 PM
The grassroots conceived of the rally in the first place, the grassroots got the permit (and apparently relinquished it to the campaign), the grassroots has been promoting the rally. If someone in the grassroots is doing that without the firm commitment on the location from the campaign, then that is a problem. Who is to blame and who is responsible? I don't know but you would have to agree this is not being handled well.

LibertyEagle
11-01-2007, 02:59 PM
The grassroots conceived of the rally in the first place, the grassroots got the permit, the grassroots has been promoting the rally. If someone in the grassroots is doing that without the firm commitment on the location from the campaign, then that is a problem. Who is to blame and who is responsible? I don't know but you would have to agree this is not being handled well.

What were they supposed to do? It is now one week until the event. Wait until 3 days before the event and then get flyers printed and passed out to thousands of people? Not to mention getting permits, alerting the media, etc.?

I see no fault in what the grassroots has done. None at all.

brandon
11-01-2007, 03:03 PM
The grassroots conceived of the rally in the first place, the grassroots got the permit (and apparently relinquished it to the campaign), the grassroots has been promoting the rally. If someone in the grassroots is doing that without the firm commitment on the location from the campaign, then that is a problem. Who is to blame and who is responsible? I don't know but you would have to agree this is not being handled well.

Did you not read my above post where I said we DID have firm commitment from the campaign?? The PA state coordinater gave us confirmation some time ago.

McDermit
11-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Grassroots is NOT at fault here. It's all on HQ.

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 03:05 PM
I'm not laying the blame on anyone. Just trying to figure out the logic of this. This was organized by the grassroots. And if they were still in control of it it would be on the Mall, period. They have relinquished control to the campaign. The campaign says it has not chosen a location. The logic of this is lost on me. If the campaign was committed to the location, why on earth did they not start advertising it the day they posted the rsvp?

me3
11-01-2007, 03:13 PM
I'm not laying the blame on anyone. Just trying to figure out the logic of this. This was organized by the grassroots. And if they were still in control of it it would be on the Mall, period. They have relinquished control to the campaign. The campaign says it has not chosen a location. The logic of this is lost on me. If the campaign was committed to the location, why on earth did they not start advertising it the day they posted the rsvp?
Why does the fund raising widget say October? Why have the fund raising emails slowed in frequency?

WWRPD? :)

American
11-01-2007, 03:19 PM

Please stop.

I can see whats going on here, and that sucks. You guys rock there in Philly, the Democratic debate thing was awesome.

I hope this gets worked out, I guess this is the drawback about having so many spontaneous groups being formed independently.

YOu guys did a great job the other day!

Anarchist
11-01-2007, 06:47 PM
Bride left standing at the alter. Thousands of supporters left standing at Independence Mall, Presidential candidate Paul - No Show.

What a way to make headlines.

Spirit of '76
11-01-2007, 07:08 PM
This is embarrassing. I've already convinced my dad and my cousin, neither of whom are yet Ron Paul supporters, to travel to Philadelphia with me by train for what was supposed to be a huge rally at Independence Mall.

So all of a sudden this is supposed to be a smaller rally somewhere else? What gives?

Should I call and tell them to forget it?

Primbs
11-01-2007, 07:11 PM
there is a small bond the campaign has to pay to park service, but I think it is refundable after the event if nothing is messed.

Corydoras
11-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Should I call and tell them to forget it?

Wait and see first.

KewlRonduderules
11-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Bride left standing at the alter. Thousands of supporters left standing at Independence Mall, Presidential candidate Paul - No Show.

nice. REAL nice.

This really does not help anything.

Plus you are new. Are you trolling?

LibertyEagle
11-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Guys, I think there ended up being a lot of costs that no one here foresaw and it took a long time for all of the estimates to come in. Just wait until the campaign posts the announcement.

Spirit, it's still happening. Just not at the mall.

LibertyEagle
11-01-2007, 07:30 PM

That's not going to happen. Wait for the campaign to post.

hellah10
11-01-2007, 07:30 PM
lets just be patient folks... the reasons could be valid, but we wont know until the campaign comes out and tells us something...

keep your heads up :)

Spirit of '76
11-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Spirit, it's still happening. Just not at the mall.

Where? If it's in Valley Forge or somewhere, we're not taking a taxi all the way from the train station in Philly.

How big is it going to be? I'll go to Pittsburgh or Cincinnati or somewhere for an average-sized rally, but I'm not driving to DC and taking the train to Philly for one, let alone asking other people who are not hardcore Ron Paul supporters to do so.

When is it going to be announced? Lots of us were planning to travel a long way for something that was supposedly confirmed months ago. If we need to change our plans, we need to know sooner rather than later.

EDIT: I know you don't have the answers to these questions. I'm just putting my concerns out there.

slantedview
11-01-2007, 07:34 PM
VALLEY FORGE

Spirit of '76
11-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Fuck.

Stacey S
11-01-2007, 07:37 PM
I like the idea of driving myself, and not being on a train. Plus the people who are driving can make sure their cars are moving billboards.

Spirit of '76
11-01-2007, 07:39 PM
I like the idea of driving myself, and not being on a train. Plus the people who are driving can make sure their cars are moving billboards.

Yeah, well nobody said anyone had to take the train. That was our plan.

Hope I can cancel the tickets and get our money back.

drexhex
11-01-2007, 07:43 PM
http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Ron_Paul_Philadelphia_Rally_Site_Changed

Digg it, make sure people know

Anarchist
11-01-2007, 08:18 PM
nice. REAL nice.

This really does not help anything.

Plus you are new. Are you trolling?

No, I'm not new here and have been in the political game for nearly 40 yrs including Dr. Paul's 1988 campaign along with a half dozen other Presidential campaigns and a dozen of my own including Congressional campaign. If you think the media hasn't been fair up to this point then hold onto your butt because it's going to get a whole hell of a lot worse. You aint seen nothin yet, sonny, and you can take that to the bank. Most of the time campaigns shoot themselves in the foot and the media takes advantage of it.