PDA

View Full Version : Philly Rally, as best as I can figure it right now

Sematary
11-01-2007, 08:47 AM
After speaking to several people in Philadelphia and going on the Email from Tom and after speaking to Brandon at the campaign headquarters I first get the sense that alot of people are upset with the venue change. That is obvious. I've gotten a ton of pm's and emails from people who are planning on going to Philly but won't go to a smaller venue, period. The only word I got from Tom (PA organizer for the campaign) and Brandon (campaign hq) is that the rally location IS going to change. As of this moment there are conflicting reasons given for this change but I'm not going to put words in the campaign's mouth. I'm hoping they can give us an up front explanation of why they would make this change this close to the actual date. I honestly don't know if the Independence Mall venue can be saved or not. The campaign apparently realizes the hardship this will cause many who have already made travel plans and who knows what will happen to the 10,000 fliers the Philly meetup distributed. Will those people who got those show if the venue moves? Who knows. What I DO KNOW is that the campaign, at this moment, has chosen to go to a different venue. The date is the same and the time (12-3) hasn't changed to my knowledge. From what I understand, wherever the venue ends up being, it will still be in or near Philadelphia but the exact location has not been announced as of yet. Personally, I would still encourage people to call and email the campaign and ask them, if at all possible, to retain the original location.

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 08:50 AM
What the campaign has promised is that Ron Paul would attend a rally ORGANIZED BY THE PHILLY MEETUP. We never had any guarantee he would attend our grassroots organized event and we knew that. I don't know who is supposed to fund it but I believe it is the responsibility of the Meetup at this point to take responsibility for what happened/s and to push for the location, if they so choose. If they don't push for it then I think we have the Meetup to blame for any inconvenience it may cause people.

Sematary
11-01-2007, 08:51 AM
What the campaign has promised is that Ron Paul would attend a rally ORGANIZED BY THE PHILLY MEETUP. I don't know who is supposed to fund it but I believe it is the responsibility of the Meetup at this point to take responsibility for what happened/s.

The campaign took over the rally quite some time ago. The meetup was essentially out of the loop.

McDermit
How fucking retarded. If they're changing it, they better roll out the ads in every locala media source to get the word out. There are people all over PA who have gotten fliers with the info for the rally at INDEPENDENCE MALL. We've handed out over 5000 ourselves in NEPA... and a bunch of people expressed interest in going. Those people, however, are likely not all signed up with the campaign site, and ertainly don't frequent this forum.

And I hope the change didn't have anything to do with that stupid RSVP form, because hardly anyone even saw that.

literatim
What the campaign has promised is that Ron Paul would attend a rally ORGANIZED BY THE PHILLY MEETUP. I don't know who is supposed to fund it but I believe it is the responsibility of the Meetup at this point to take responsibility for what happened/s.

The problem is that the campaign hijacked their grassroots rally and then does this.

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Yes and no. We had a grassroots event planned but the Philly Meetup won that damn contest and the campaign was obligated to them. We couldn't realistically expect two separate rallies in Philly so the best we could hope was that the one that was supposed to be organized by the Meetup because they won the contest would be close to what we hoped for as the grassroots.

Hank
11-01-2007, 09:26 AM
We must demand that the campaign hold the rally as planned.

703-248-9115

slantedview
11-01-2007, 11:27 AM
From reading all the info on this "change", it appears to be a fucking petty cost issue? Cost should not be an issue. The chosen venue was specifically selected for a reason!!! Aside from this, it would be incredibly shortsighted is it to think that there is no cost associated with moving the venue when so much planning, advertising and passion has been sunk into the original plans.

Outrageous.

Sematary
11-01-2007, 11:29 AM
From reading all the info on this "change", it appears to be a fucking petty cost issue? Cost should not be an issue. The chosen venue was specifically selected for a reason!!! Aside from this, it would be incredibly shortsighted is it to think that there is no cost associated with moving the venue when so much planning, advertising and passion has been sunk into the original plans.

Outrageous.

agreed. Outrageous

terlinguatx
11-01-2007, 12:15 PM

Outrageous.

If it's merely a matter of cost then this will be the most idiotic blunder to date. The symbolism of the liberty bell and the media coverage it's bringing will be worth $1 million alone. Terribly short sited and foolish if this is the case, especially after spending $100,000's on TV ads my retarded second cousin could make.

jumpyg1258
11-01-2007, 12:17 PM
especially after spending $100,000's on TV ads my retarded second cousin could make.

Now the first commerical they made I could agree with you on, but the second one only uncle ron could pull off with his genuine appeal.

Duckman
11-01-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm not able to make the Philly rally, so I haven't been following this too closely, but I am truly dismayed at the chaos that has erupted over this.

We should wait for the campaign to explain themselves, but I agree with those here who have said that money should not be an object when it comes to pulling this rally together.

The only valid reason I can see to move this venue would be if the National Park Service pulled the permit. That is IT. Any other reason would be, well, rediculous.

I sincerely hope that crowds of people do not converge on Independence Mall only to find that there is no rally there. Although something tells me that if I know my grassroots supporters well enough, there WILL be a rally of some sort at Independence Mall, whether the campaign blesses it or not. :D

Primbs
11-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Do we have a permit?

Time for a flash mob maybe.

slantedview
11-01-2007, 12:37 PM
To think that 50k or any similar amount holds more value than the amount of planning and advertisement that went into the rally at Independance Mall, not to mention the media that have commited to covering the event at that location, is the grandest folly.

Duckman
11-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Do we have a permit?

Sematary HAD a permit, but gave it to the official campaign back in September on their request.

I'm really hoping money alone is not the cause of this debacle, because if the Philly Rally has been disrupted over a measly $50k (which this campaign raises every 16 hours I might add) then whoever made that decision is incompetent, bottom line.