PDA

View Full Version : McDonald's: Apple slices in every Happy Meal

Rael
07-27-2011, 05:44 AM
McDonald's: Apple slices in every Happy Meal

By CHRISTINA REXRODE

NEW YORK (AP) -- An apple a day may keep the doctor away. But when you put it in a Happy Meal, it might help keep regulators at bay too. McDonald's on Tuesday said that it would add apple slices and reduce the portion of French fries in its children's meal boxes beginning this fall, effectively taking away consumers' current choice between either having apples with caramel dip or fries as a Happy Meal side.

The move by McDonald's, which has become a leader in moving from just burgers and fries to more nutritious fare like oatmeal and salads, comes as fast food chains face intense scrutiny from health officials and others who blame the industry for childhood obesity and other health-related problems. Some municipalities, including San Francisco, have even banned fast food restaurants from selling kids' meals with toys.

Critics wasted no time complaining that McDonald's changes don't go far enough. Kelle Louaillier, executive director of a group called Corporate Accountability International, said McDonald's is just trying to get ahead of impending regulations that will restrict the marketing of junk food to children and require restaurants to post nutrition information on menus, among other changes.

"McDonald's is taking steps in the right direction," says Louaillier, whose group has pushed for McDonald's to retire Ronald McDonald. "But we should be careful in heaping praise on corporations for simply reducing the scope of the problem they continue to create."

Cindy Goody, McDonald's senior director of nutrition, said that the new directives are "absolutely not" related to new regulations. Rather, she said, they're a response to customers asking for healthier choices.

But apparently, customers aren't making those choices in practice. Indeed, only about 11 percent of customers were ordering apples with their Happy Meals, even though 88 percent were aware they had the option, the restaurant said.

McDonald's says the change will reduce calories in its "most popular" Happy Meals by as much as 20 percent. The new apple slices will not be served with caramel dipping sauce.

Currently, the lightest Happy Meal is the four-piece chicken nugget meal served with apples and apple juice. It has 380 calories and 12 grams of fat. The Happy Meal with the most fat and calories is a cheeseburger served with fries and 1 percent chocolate milk. It weighs in at 700 calories and 27 grams of fat.

"McDonald's agrees with leading food and nutrition experts that making incremental lifestyle modifications with food consumption may lead to improvements in an individual's well-being," Goody said, adding that McDonald's didn't eliminate fries from Happy Meals because "all foods fit when consumed in moderation."

Adding a half portion of apples and fries is more likely to change customers' eating habits than simply offering apples as an alternative, said Jonathan Marek, a senior vice president at Applied Predictive Technologies. It should also be a good public relations move, he said, and more importantly, could help drive sales.

"The key is, will this get parents to go to McDonald's one more time each month than they would have otherwise?" said Marek, whose company helps restaurants forecast whether new programs will drive sales. He was not involved in the McDonald's program.

LaMonte Riker, a New York carpenter eating a chicken salad at a McDonald's on Tuesday, doesn't have kids but thinks the Happy Meal changes can't hurt. He also said he doesn't think it's fair for people to blame McDonald's for their health problems.

"It's not McDonald's that's making your kids fat; you're making your kids fat by taking them to McDonald's," said Riker, 44. "And I don't think McDonald's is that fattening if you don't eat it on a daily basis."

This isn't the first time the world's largest burger chain has tried to paint itself as an emissary of nutrition.

In the `80s, it created a fitness program for middle school children featuring gymnast Mary Lou Retton. A decade ago, McDonald's used Ronald McDonald to encourage parents to get their children immunized and to tell kids to drink milk. In 2003, it added salad entrees to the menu. And around 2004, McDonald's christened Ronald a "balanced, active lifestyles ambassador."

More recently, McDonald's has worked to portray itself as a healthy, hip place to eat, offering wireless access in restaurants and introducing smoothies, oatmeal and yogurt parfaits, moves that other fast-food companies are now trying to replicate.

"We've been in the nutrition game for over 30 years in providing nutrition information to our customers," said Goody, the McDonald's nutrition director. "Now what we're doing is we're adding more food groups and ... creating nutritional awareness."

McDonald's ability to adjust to customers' demands has helped bring already-loyal customers through the doors more often, but it's also attracting "people who hadn't traditionally visited us in the past," said spokeswoman Danya Proud.

In 2010, McDonald's accounted for 9 percent of U.S. restaurant sales, according to Technomic. Last year, its U.S. revenue rose 4.4 percent, while U.S. revenue fell at Burger King, Wendy's, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Arby's, Sonic and Jack in the Box, Technomic said.

AZKing
07-27-2011, 07:54 AM
"It's not McDonald's that's making your kids fat; you're making your kids fat by taking them to McDonald's," said Riker, 44. "And I don't think McDonald's is that fattening if you don't eat it on a daily basis."

Yes, YES.

I'm not sure I understand why people even still eat at McDonald's. I went with some friends the other day for the first time in a year, and I swear the meal I received was about 1/2 the size of what it used to be for only twice the price.

jbuttell
07-27-2011, 07:57 AM
Some radio host I was listening to was ranting about this story, like it was the end of the world that mcdonalds caved. The only problem I have with it is the very likely possibility of new laws that would force mcdonalds to comply. However, so long as its their choice, I don't see what the big deal is - the worse thing that can happen with their voluntary choice is a loss of sales. It's through public pressure that changes should naturally occur - not through government violence.

sailingaway
07-27-2011, 08:00 AM
McDonalds has always posted nutrition info. There it is, right by the register. I looked up a big mac once, then blanked the information from my mind.

erowe1
07-27-2011, 08:04 AM
Fear not. McDonald's experiments with ideas like this from time to time, and when it turns out hurting their bottom line, they fix it. This silly scheme won't last a month.

Carehn
07-27-2011, 08:21 AM
Yes, YES.

I'm not sure I understand why people even still eat at McDonald's. I went with some friends the other day for the first time in a year, and I swear the meal I received was about 1/2 the size of what it used to be for only twice the price.

I did the same thing about a month ago. Hadn't been in years. It was so bad. I got sick. it was like eating swill. Let alone supporting one of the most fascist clowns in town. Remember when sears was on top. O how the mighty will fall. i give it 5 years. If you own stock it may be time to sale. though mcshit is more of a real estate holding comp then anything.

Carehn
07-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Some radio host I was listening to was ranting about this story, like it was the end of the world that mcdonalds caved. The only problem I have with it is the very likely possibility of new laws that would force mcdonalds to comply. However, so long as its their choice, I don't see what the big deal is - the worse thing that can happen with their voluntary choice is a loss of sales. It's through public pressure that changes should naturally occur - not through government violence.

It is not CHOICE. they don't have to comply to the health care law do they. How long do you think that will last if they don't return favors? This is how the public sector works. they do not trade money, goods, services, they trade favors and the governments favor to you is they don't cave your head in. How nice of them, you don't want to be an ass and not return some form of gratitude do you?

TheBlackPeterSchiff
07-27-2011, 08:25 AM
Sounds like McDonolds are listening to their consumers. Good for them.

Feeding the Abscess
07-27-2011, 08:33 AM
Awesome! Now kids get to eat apples doused in high fructose corn syrup to go along with their hydrogenated oil sticks and assorted meat patties with processed cheese.

Carehn
07-27-2011, 08:35 AM
Awesome! Now kids get to eat apples doused in high fructose corn syrup to go along with their hydrogenated oil sticks and assorted meat patties with processed cheese.
Sick cows need eaten too man.
http://letsdoitforthem.webstarts.com/uploads/diseased_cow22.jpg

sailingaway
07-27-2011, 08:36 AM

Uh, you think so?

SilentBull
07-27-2011, 08:42 AM

Actually, they are not. They just removed consumers' choices to either have apples or fries. Not everyone wants apples.

brushfire
07-27-2011, 08:56 AM
I have more respect for companies that dont cave into sh!t like this. Companies like Starbucks who stick with the law, and let their consumers make choices for themselves.

McDonalds, by being influenced under this BS scrutiny, is setting precedent for future nanny complaints. Its a slippery slope, but if they want to cave, so be it.

erowe1
07-27-2011, 09:10 AM
I have more respect for companies that dont cave into sh!t like this. Companies like Starbucks who stick with the law, and let their consumers make choices for themselves.

McDonalds, by being influenced under this BS scrutiny, is setting precedent for future nanny complaints. Its a slippery slope, but if they want to cave, so be it.

I look at it differently. McDonalds is experimenting here. And they're going to respond to what they learn in this experiment. They've proven to be pretty good at doing that. Sometimes their experiments result in flops, like the McLean Deluxe, and get scrapped. Sometimes they result in smash hits, like the Egg McMuffin, and change the way people think about breakfast forever. If they want to take chances that result in the latter, they have to accept a certain number of the former.

AZKing
07-27-2011, 09:15 AM
I did the same thing about a month ago. Hadn't been in years. It was so bad. I got sick. it was like eating swill. Let alone supporting one of the most fascist clowns in town. Remember when sears was on top. O how the mighty will fall. i give it 5 years. If you own stock it may be time to sale. though mcshit is more of a real estate holding comp then anything.

That too. I stopped eating at a lot of fast food places because it made me feel sick half the time. Besides that, I've seen some of the people that work back there. I'd rather not eat food prepared by them.

I remember I got a salad one time, mostly out of curiosity, it was insanely dirty. These people don't know the first thing about food preps. You can't just cut up some leaves of cabbage and put it in a salad without at least cleaning them first. Good way to get sick.

brushfire
07-27-2011, 09:16 AM
I look at it differently. McDonalds is experimenting here. And they're going to respond to what they learn in this experiment. They've proven to be pretty good at doing that. Sometimes their experiments result in flops, like the McLean Deluxe, and get scrapped. Sometimes they result in smash hits, like the Egg McMuffin, and change the way people think about breakfast forever. If they want to take chances that result in the latter, they have to accept a certain number of the former.

Perhaps. FWIW, we get the apples for our kid, with milk instead of soda. We always have.
We still cringe at the thought of having silicone in the mcnuggie mystery meat, but again, its a consumer choice.

amonasro
07-27-2011, 09:41 AM

I know. Last time I ate at McDonald's I felt like I died a little on the inside. I rarely eat fast/processed foods anymore and my body treated me like I had just licked a chemical spill. Yuck.

Maestro232
07-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Notice they don't pick on Applebees, Outback Steakhouse, On the Border, etc..., who's meals contain far more fat. This is a bunch of left-wing racist elitists pushing this fast food hit.

moostraks
07-27-2011, 10:45 AM
In a related story, "'This is good publicity, and if you sell more Happy Meals, you're likely selling more Big Macs to the parents,' says Peter Saleh, a restaurant analyst with Telsey Advisory Group in New York."

http://www.npr.org/2011/07/27/138722037/mcdonalds-move-may-make-healthy-business-sense

So they will just drive up the sales of big macs thus improving the parent's health? LOL...

dannno
07-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Here's what McDonalds should do, I think, from a standpoint of personal responsibility rather than government edict:

Parent: Hi, I'd like a Happy Meal with chicken nuggets.

Order taker: Happy meals come with a half serving of apples and a half serving of french fries, but if you prefer you can get a whole serving of fries or a whole serving of apples instead.

NewRightLibertarian
07-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Yes, YES.

Yeah, they reduced portion sizes and jacked up prices. For 'our health', of course, because apparently super sized fries were ruining America.

heavenlyboy34
07-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Yeah, they reduced portion sizes and jacked up prices. For 'our health', of course, because apparently super sized fries were ruining America.
I thought demand for it from customers also drove that decision, but I could be wrong.

AGRP
07-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Free market Freddy says Carl's Jr. will profit.

libertybrewcity
07-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Thinking about McDonalds makes me want to go get some

fade
07-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Thinking about McDonalds makes me want to go get some

Oh god man you have no idea.. I have been dieting since Mid-March and haven't had a delicious McDouble or McChicken since then. FOREVER.

wannaberocker
07-27-2011, 01:10 PM
At what point will they just put an implant that shocks you when you eat junk food?

Wesker1982
07-27-2011, 01:13 PM
oh god man you have no idea.. I have been dieting since mid-march and haven't had a delicious mcdouble or mcchicken since then. Forever.

iifym bra!

fade
07-27-2011, 01:17 PM
iifym bra!

Dieting down for a contest. If it fits your macros works well until you're trying to get that last little bit of fat off your hams and glutes. Oh and at this point, it wouldn't come close to fitting my macros... haha

Brian4Liberty
07-27-2011, 01:25 PM
Ingredient info from McDs:

Apple Dippers:
Apples, calcium ascorbate (a blend of calcium and vitamin C to maintain color).

Low Fat Caramel Dip:
Corn syrup, sweetened condensed milk (milk, sugar), high fructose corn syrup, water, butter (cream, salt), sugar, salt, disodium phosphate, artificial flavors (vanillin,
ethyl vanillin), caramel color, pectin, potassium sorbate (preservative).

Snack Size Fruit & Walnut Salad:
Apple Slices and Red Grapes [apples, red grapes, calcium ascorbate (a blend of calcium and vitamin C added to maintain natural freshness and color)].
Vanilla Lowfat Yogurt: cultured pasteurized Grade A reduced fat milk, sugar, food starch-modified, fructose, whey protein concentrate, corn starch, gelatin, natural
(plant source) and artificial flavor, potassium sorbate (added to maintain freshness), artificial color.
CONTAINS: MILK.
Candied Walnuts: walnuts (TBHQ and BHT added as preservatives), sugar, peanut oil, dry honey, salt, wheat starch, maltodextrin, xanthan gum, soy
lecithin, natural (plant source) and artificial flavor.

GreenLP
07-27-2011, 01:36 PM
Price is what you're worried about at McDonald's? :confused:

truthdivides
07-27-2011, 02:20 PM

That isn't what you are worried about there? I don't think anybody goes there because the food is just soooooooo good. Most people I know go there for fast and inexpensive food.

Endgame
07-27-2011, 03:12 PM
That isn't what you are worried about there? I don't think anybody goes there because the food is just soooooooo good. Most people I know go there for fast and inexpensive food.

That stuff isn't cheap. I can make enough healthy food to last a week for $30. $15 if we replace the fruits and veggies with multivitamins and cut the stuff that's just there for flavor.

AZKing
07-27-2011, 03:14 PM

What else should I worry about? Fat? Calories? Sodium? Carbs? Pffft. lol

Like I said, first time in a year. I rarely eat fast food. The most fast food I ever ate was a few years ago when me and my coworkers went out basically every day. Mind you, we almost always walked to the place. These days, my meals basically consist of water, fruit, vegetables, oatmeal, cereal, brown rice, and sometimes chicken. It's cheap, it's healthy, and if you know how to spice your food, it's delicious.

I don't even eat at real restaurants because 99% of the time I'm disappointed by the meal I overpaid for. Or the service sucks. Or some baby a few tables down won't stop crying.

reillym
07-27-2011, 03:31 PM
That stuff isn't cheap. I can make enough healthy food to last a week for $30. $15 if we replace the fruits and veggies with multivitamins and cut the stuff that's just there for flavor.

Multivitamins do not come close to replacing actual food. Studies have shown vitamin pills do very, very little.

Southron
07-27-2011, 03:39 PM
If I wanted to eat apples, I sure wouldn't go to McDonald's to do it.

Rael
07-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Did you folks read the whole article?

"But apparently, customers aren't making those choices in practice. Indeed, only about 11 percent of customers were ordering apples with their Happy Meals, even though 88 percent were aware they had the option, the restaurant said."

McDonalds is doing the OPPOSITE of what customers are asking for.

LibertyRevolution
07-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Yum, mcnugget flavored "apple" slices... I can almost taste them. /s

Not once have I ever thought to myself, "I wish I had some apple slices to go with this cheeseburger".

MelissaWV
07-27-2011, 04:09 PM
1. It's not just price. It's real price. You can buy ingredients, and make food, and have it all ready to go... but most people have terrible time budgets and wind up unable to get the meal on the table. McDonald's seems busiest at lunch, which requires forethought to pack. People believe that the convenience is enough added value that they will pay a ridiculous markup for a fried chicken sandwich, or McNuggets, or burgers, or fries.

2. Apples brown rather quickly, yet these apple dippers don't seem to suffer the same fate. I doubt they are using something natural to stop that, though it exists. In fact, it appears they use "a blend of calcium and vitamin C to maintain freshness and color".

Jeremy
07-27-2011, 04:22 PM
1. It's not just price. It's real price. You can buy ingredients, and make food, and have it all ready to go... but most people have terrible time budgets and wind up unable to get the meal on the table. McDonald's seems busiest at lunch, which requires forethought to pack. People believe that the convenience is enough added value that they will pay a ridiculous markup for a fried chicken sandwich, or McNuggets, or burgers, or fries.

2. Apples brown rather quickly, yet these apple dippers don't seem to suffer the same fate. I doubt they are using something natural to stop that, though it exists. In fact, it appears they use "a blend of calcium and vitamin C to maintain freshness and color".

Hey, a McChicken is only $1! I don't eat fast food unless I need to, but I think the McDonalds Dollar Menu is a pretty good deal if you are able to keep it down.

QueenB4Liberty
07-27-2011, 05:00 PM
Hey, a McChicken is only $1! I don't eat fast food unless I need to, but I think the McDonalds Dollar Menu is a pretty good deal if you are able to keep it down.

Yeah IF you are able to keep it down. The last time I had a cheeseburger from McDonalds I had to go to the bathroom afterwards. lol I like their iced coffee and mango pineapple smoothies though.

tropicangela
07-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Went to McD's yesterday with my kids after at least a year hiatus. Just happened to be $1.99 happy meal Tuesdays - sweet. I didn't know. The food was so nasty to me, but we LOVED the Star Wars Clone Wars Yoda light saber toys! Eat your heart out San Diego... no plans to return for another year, at least.

AZKing
07-27-2011, 05:54 PM

I used to be able to get 2 double cheeseburgers for a dollar. Now I can get one DC for $1.30-ish. :~(

Brian4Liberty
07-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Hey, a McChicken is only $1!

Yum, TBHQ and hydrogenated oil! ;)

RideTheDirt
07-27-2011, 07:42 PM
last time I ate a double cheeseburger from there I immediately vomited.
(about two years ago)

CanadaBoy
07-27-2011, 07:50 PM
When will America realize that sugar/refined carbs are the causes of obesity.

AggieforPaul
07-27-2011, 08:25 PM
McDonalds should be able to do whatever they want, but I wish there wasn't one on every corner. The only reason I ever go there is convenience. If there was a MyFitFoods on every street corner, people would grab that for convenience too.

Agorism
07-27-2011, 08:37 PM
I was eating McDonalds like once per year, but every time I went I realized I hated it.

Now I am eating it zero times per year.

MelissaWV
07-27-2011, 09:12 PM
When will America realize that sugar/refined carbs are the causes of obesity.

Right about the time you realize that avoiding those, but sitting on your butt not exercising, will still cause many to be obese... and that many who indulge in a bit of refined carbs yet are active and balance it out with an overwhelming amount of wholesome food, will be healthy.

showpan
07-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Americans consume about 5 billion hamburgers a year. It is presumed that most hamburgers are composed primarily of meat. The purpose of this study (http://www.annalspathology.com/article/S1092-9134(08)00062-2/abstract) is to assess the content of 8 fast food hamburger brands using histologic methods. Eight different brands of hamburgers were evaluated for water content by weight and microscopically for recognizable tissue types. Glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP) staining was used to evaluate for brain tissue. Water content by weight ranged from 37.7% to 62.4% (mean, 49%). Meat content in the hamburgers ranged from 2.1% to 14.8% (median, 12.1%). The cost per gram of hamburger ranged from $0.02 to $0.16 (median, $0.03) and did not correlate with meat content. Electron microscopy showed relatively preserved skeletal muscle. A variety of tissue types besides skeletal muscle were observed including connective tissue (n = 8), blood vessels (n = 8), peripheral nerve (n = 8), adipose tissue (n = 7), plant material (n = 4), cartilage (n = 3), and bone (n = 2). In 2 hamburgers, intracellular parasites (Sarcocystis) were identified. The GFAP immunostaining was not observed in any of the hamburgers. Lipid content on oil-red-O staining was graded as 1+ (moderate) in 6 burgers and 2+ (marked) in 2 burgers. Fast food hamburgers are comprised of little meat (median, 12.1%). Approximately half of their weight is made up of water. Unexpected tissue types found in some hamburgers included bone, cartilage, and plant material; no brain tissue was present. Sarcocystis parasites were discovered in 2 hamburgers.

China - Poultry supply for McDonalds (http://www.meattradenewsdaily.co.uk/news/150211/china___poultry_supply_for_mcdonalds.aspx)
Fujian SunOSI Poultry Co. Ltd. is being created primarily to supply McDonald’s.
SunOSI plans to invest over $50 million over the next several years to develop a vertically integrated supply chain including breeding farms, grow out facilities, feed mills, hatcheries and other related facilities.

Son of Detroit
07-27-2011, 09:53 PM
http://threes.com/cms/images/stories/food/big-mac-extra-value-meal.jpg

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgRUyzDkw_qDD3iviRyrkf1YqA4Uu0z cwPppgJm-f_jmdrDf541g

I had a quarter pounder with large fries today. My taste buds were happy.

gerryb
07-27-2011, 11:36 PM

Because it is swill. Did you know ~10% the weight of chicken breast from industrial farms is manure spilled during the butchering process? They need to put it through 40 chlorine baths to try and sanitize it.

Freedom 4 all
07-27-2011, 11:59 PM
Yes, YES.

It's true, I've noticed that too. Go to Harvey's or Wendy's and you'll get like 2-5 times the meat for the same price.