PDA

View Full Version : The Debt Ceiling has no clothes

tangent4ronpaul
07-26-2011, 04:26 PM
I posted this in another thread:

I'm really surprised Ron hasn't introduced legislation outlining his own plan to balance the budget and deal with the debt ceiling. The couple of plans that have been introduced have been front page news and the lead stories of news commentators.

I would imagine such a plan would include getting out of several wars and bringing the troops home, shuttering a number of federal agencies, etc.

It's a small time window, but you can't buy PR as good as this would.

-t

====

That said, this whole discussion about the debt ceiling is a joke. We have 2 plans out there and they both have raising the debt ceiling as a component. We need a third option that does not raise the debt ceiling. The plans talk about reducing the amount of spending of money we don't have over 10 years. What no one is talking about is the baseline that money is removed from. The increase in federal spending each year. It DOUBLES every 10 years. That makes any discussion of "saving" ~$200 Billion a year a complete joke. Further, there is nothing to stop the government from adding $300 Billion a year into future budgets, so that spending would actually increase.

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfacts/displayafact.cfm?Docid=200

We need a third plan introduced that not only freezes the debt ceiling, but one that freezes increases in federal spending. That needs to be part of the public conversation. A direct assault on planned inflation and growth of government.

Further, we need a plan that places a moratorium on spending states money via unfunded mandates, as this is also part of the economic downturn.

Beyond destroying the FED's 1.6 Trillion in bonds, perhaps the contents of 100 Orchard Street in East Rutherford, NJ could also be shredded and pulped and a moratorium on printing additional money, other than on a 1:1 replacement rate for bills taken out of circulation. The ability of banks to create $10 out of thin air, for every $1 deposited also needs to be addressed. While competing currencies would be good, this is clearly in violation of the governments monopoly on coining money as laid out in the Constitution and drives inflation. It is effectively counterfeiting.

So how about it Dr. Paul? How about introducing a third plan as legislation and bringing the doubling in government spending to the front page of of the news? How about offering some real solutions to fixing the economy - not just smoke and mirrors?

You know the story of the person that asked the king for a grain of rice on the first square of a chess board, and 2 on the second, and 4 on the third... The king after agreeing to this had to execute the person he was rewarding as there was not that much rice in the kingdom. Our current path is simply unsustainable.

Actually scratch everything I just wrote. I just had an epiphany. People do not understand all the good that Ben Bernanke is doing for us. Mugabe has made everyone in Zimbabwe a billionaire. Bernanke is going to do the same for us. We should all be graetful to Bernanke. We will all be billionaires. :)

-t

tangent4ronpaul
07-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Come on peeps! - I thought this thread would really take off.

Any of my thoughts brain farts?

Any of them absolute truth?

Any comments? Damn it!

tangent4ronpaul
07-26-2011, 07:02 PM
OK - so suggest a better title! - 70 views SUCKS! :(

moderate libertarian
07-26-2011, 07:09 PM
Obama has yet again proved how inept he is. Reminded me of this google news article.

The emperor has no economy

http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/opinion/2011/07/201171162151617377.html

tangent4ronpaul
07-26-2011, 09:38 PM
Lol!

asurfaholic
07-26-2011, 10:05 PM
I agree completely with what you said. Paul is in a great position to have his team work up a plan that is ideal for his campaign. In a recent meet and greet, rp said in the past the compromise was that repubs decided where to spend and dems decided where to spend, they all agreed and the debate was over. Rp wants to see the dems and repubs all decide where to cut.

The biggest problem I can see is it could be seen as a waste of time as obama clearly doesn't think that cutting unnecessary spending is going to fix the problem and would instantly veto the effort if it made it that far...

However, I would disagree that point, as it would give everyone a clear point to compromise from. I am no fan of compromise, but if that's the only way things get done, then I think there should be a real starting point. Currently the "heavy" cuts plan doesn't scratch the surface of the real spending problem. Ron Paul NEEDS to show leadership in this field, not just as a candidate, but as a sitting senior congressman. Even if his plan doesn't gain traction, at least when the dust settles nobody can say he didn't try. He needs to be on record with a real, spending reform. Obama said there is going to be sacrifice - well....

Travlyr
07-27-2011, 09:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEP8cQF-QC4&feature=player_embedded

tangent4ronpaul
07-28-2011, 10:26 AM
I agree completely with what you said. Paul is in a great position to have his team work up a plan that is ideal for his campaign. In a recent meet and greet, rp said in the past the compromise was that repubs decided where to spend and dems decided where to spend, they all agreed and the debate was over. Rp wants to see the dems and repubs all decide where to cut.

The biggest problem I can see is it could be seen as a waste of time as obama clearly doesn't think that cutting unnecessary spending is going to fix the problem and would instantly veto the effort if it made it that far...

However, I would disagree that point, as it would give everyone a clear point to compromise from. I am no fan of compromise, but if that's the only way things get done, then I think there should be a real starting point. Currently the "heavy" cuts plan doesn't scratch the surface of the real spending problem. Ron Paul NEEDS to show leadership in this field, not just as a candidate, but as a sitting senior congressman. Even if his plan doesn't gain traction, at least when the dust settles nobody can say he didn't try. He needs to be on record with a real, spending reform. Obama said there is going to be sacrifice - well....

Maybe a letter writing campaign to both Ron and Rands office to urge introducing such a plan. It's pretty clear they both have one, but are just doing TV appearances and not always spelling it out well.

I'm sure they could come up with a plan that could not only balance the budget, but reduce the debt. Not raise the debt ceiling. If introduced and presented by the media pundants - what plan would the public support? 1Trillion more debt? 2.6 Trillion more debt? or Pay off the debt?

-t