PDA

View Full Version : Would creating an emergency Donation push to save the Philly rally?

FrankRep
11-01-2007, 07:53 AM
Would creating an emergency Donation push save the Philly rally?

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The campaign has made the decision to relocate the rally out of central Philadelphia due to cost concerns. It has been deemed an unfortunate necessity that those funds are better allocated to key primary state, and the rally in Philadelphia is being scaled back to a regional event.

The rally will still happen, but it will probably be moved either to UPenn or out to Valley Forge. That should become more clear tomorrow.

In accordance with the smaller scale, the benefit is that it will provide a more intimate setting for regional supporters to meet Dr. Paul, and we will ensure the Meetups involved in this effort get their private meeting, as guaranteed.

I know there was a great deal of expectation and hope for this rally. I also know that materials had been produced and distributed at considerable expense to promote this event. On behalf of the campaign, I apologize that it did not prove workable to have the event as originally planned.

Yours,
Tom

James R
11-01-2007, 07:56 AM
Would creating an emergency Donation push save the Philly rally?

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The campaign has made the decision to relocate the rally out of central Philadelphia due to cost concerns. It has been deemed an unfortunate necessity that those funds are better allocated to key primary state, and the rally in Philadelphia is being scaled back to a regional event.

The rally will still happen, but it will probably be moved either to UPenn or out to Valley Forge. That should become more clear tomorrow.

In accordance with the smaller scale, the benefit is that it will provide a more intimate setting for regional supporters to meet Dr. Paul, and we will ensure the Meetups involved in this effort get their private meeting, as guaranteed.

I know there was a great deal of expectation and hope for this rally. I also know that materials had been produced and distributed at considerable expense to promote this event. On behalf of the campaign, I apologize that it did not prove workable to have the event as originally planned.

Yours,
Tom

Sure, but how are we going to raise 50k? And is it really worth that much? I'd guess that it IS because it would make the Philly news. But who knows.

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 07:57 AM
No, because the campaign is obligated to provide Philly with an Official rally because they won the fundraising contest. Therefore a Chip-in can't be used to fund it.

Shiranu
11-01-2007, 07:57 AM
Im going to have to vote yes, it would be awsome to have a emergency fundraiser, but GL getting that to happen =\

James R
11-01-2007, 08:03 AM
No, because the campaign is obligated to provide Philly with an Official rally because they won the fundraising contest. Therefore a Chip-in can't be used to fund it.

Details?

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 08:06 AM
This rally was originally a grassroots effort. However, there also was an official campaign contest between Meetup groups to raise the most money. Philly won the contest, and therefore was entitled to a rally and a private meeting with Dr. Paul. Obviously two rallies would not be happening in the city, so the official campaign took over the grassroots rally as their own. This rally WILL happen because they promised it to happen, but now the official campaign has the power to put it on according to their own plans.To raise money to fund it independently would be a violation of FEC rules.

James R
11-01-2007, 08:07 AM
This rally was originally a grassroots effort. However, there also was an official campaign contest between Meetup groups to raise the most money. Philly won the contest, and therefore was entitled to a rally and a private meeting with Dr. Paul. Obviously two rallies would not be happening in the city, so the official campaign took over the grassroots rally as their own. This rally WILL happen because they promised it to happen, but now the official campaign has the power to put it on according to their own plans.To raise money to fund it independently would be a violation of FEC rules.

Did they specifically agree to host at the Mall?

literatim
11-01-2007, 08:08 AM
I simply find it unwise for them to do this. This event was locked and planned. They can easily make up the cost of the rally by doing a donation drive at the rally.

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 08:09 AM
They said they would do a rally in whatever cities won the contest. But before the contest even finished (or maybe even started) we had started organizing the grassroots rally to be held on the Mall.

James R
11-01-2007, 08:09 AM
Actually we can resolve the "FEC rules" thing by instead of using a chip-in using a simple pledge. Those of us who have already donated will have our pledge counted, while those who have not donated yet will be considered backups.

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 08:11 AM
More details here:

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/meetup

Re-reading this my feeling is that it is the Philly Meetup group that should be held responsible, as it says the rally is to be organized by them.

James R
11-01-2007, 08:18 AM
More details here:

Re-reading this my feeling is that it is the Philly Meetup group that should be held responsible, as it says the rally is to be organized by them.

Maybe that group can set up a pledge drive for the 46k needed for a stage. That number seems suspiciously high to me and I don't see why it would cost more or less anywhere else. Dr. Paul can stand on a large box and nobody at the rally will think any less of it.

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 08:21 AM
As someone said, unions. At a convention here in Chicago it can cost $1000 for three days of internet access to an exhibitor's booth. Electricians must be paid to plug in cords and the like.

LibertyEagle
11-01-2007, 08:27 AM
Ok, I am going to say this.

The campaign sure makes promoting this thing difficult. They have not released the names of the speakers. Nor, have they completely finalized the location. Now, about a week away, they want to move it from the original venue to somewhere else. Maybe I'm missing something here, but to me, this demonstrates a complete and total lack of organizational prowess by whomever is handling this is in the campaign.

James R
11-01-2007, 08:27 AM
As someone said, unions. At a convention here in Chicago it can cost $1000 for three days of internet access to an exhibitor's booth. Electricians must be paid to plug in cords and the like.

You would think with the thousands of people going a few of them would be electricians who can do all of that stuff at no cost.

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 08:36 AM
What about cutting back on the music? Just have the country singer sing the national anthem without his band. I suspect the setup for the band is a big chunk of the cost. Play recorded music for the rest.

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 08:37 AM
You would think with the thousands of people going a few of them would be electricians who can do all of that stuff at no cost.

I was helping out at the booth of an exhibitor-he figured out by the second day he could pay $10 for wireless internet from the cafe intended for visitors and use that to access the Web.

James R
11-01-2007, 08:39 AM
What about cutting back on the music? Just have the country singer sing the national anthem without his band. I suspect the setup for the band is a big chunk of the cost. Play recorded music for the rest.

Who in Philly wants to hear a country singer any way? Hip Hop, Jazz, followed by everything but country are the music you'll hear in Philly. I've been there before and think its a complete waste to have a country singer.

EDIT:

Message from walt
About:

"I just called. They said it's not a cost issue but something else 'highly complex' - they said they are "working feverishly on it" and that there should be an announcement in "a few hours"."

Sematary
11-01-2007, 09:15 AM
More details here:

Again - it was taken over - lock stock and barrel, by the campaign