PDA

View Full Version : The campaign "foolishly imo" moves the PHILLY RALLY!

Sematary
11-01-2007, 07:15 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

The campaign has made the decision to relocate the rally out of central Philadelphia due to cost concerns. It has been deemed an unfortunate necessity that those funds are better allocated to key primary state, and the rally in Philadelphia is being scaled back to a regional event.

The rally will still happen, but it will probably be moved either to UPenn or out to Valley Forge. That should become more clear tomorrow.

In accordance with the smaller scale, the benefit is that it will provide a more intimate setting for regional supporters to meet Dr. Paul, and we will ensure the Meetups involved in this effort get their private meeting, as guaranteed.

I know there was a great deal of expectation and hope for this rally. I also know that materials had been produced and distributed at considerable expense to promote this event. On behalf of the campaign, I apologize that it did not prove workable to have the event as originally planned.

Yours,
Tom

James R
11-01-2007, 07:18 AM
Grossly disappointing. The campaign staff screwed up big-time.

PS - I called to confirm. They no longer are going to hold it near the liberty bell. They are holding it somewhere else. They have not decided where yet.

Hank
This is absolutely terrible! Tons of people were reserving hotel rooms! Tons of people were making travel plans! This is going to SCREW THINGS UP!

The campaign should follow through with their commitments!

LibertyEagle
Oh geez. What about all those people you distributed flyers to about this event? Imagine them showing up for the rally.

I'm hoping not too many were distributed.

KewlRonduderules
Who's Tom?

Sematary
We need to email and phone the campaign and dr. Paul's congressional office.

LibertyEagle
11-01-2007, 07:20 AM
I wonder why they waited so long to decide?

LibertyEagle
11-01-2007, 07:20 AM

Why are you suggesting we spam them? :confused:

Who is "Tom"?

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 07:21 AM
Well, I hope they make it Valley Forge because at least it will preserve some of the symbolism I was thinking of when I suggested the original location in the first place:

http://www.nps.gov/vafo/historyculture/index.htm

That said, I stated early on that I thought it was detrimental and counterproductive for the Philly Meetup group to try and win that fundraising contest for an official rally when we had a great grassroots rally planned already for Philly. I'm sorry to see my prediction has come to pass and they are moving it to honor their commitment to the Meetup group. I don't blame the campaign for this but I do blame the Meetup group for their selfishness.

Hank
11-01-2007, 07:21 AM
This is absolutely pathetic.

Tons of outreach had already been done!

This decision is insane!

Everyone needs to call the campaign and tell them doing stuff like this will discourage anyone from promoting any Ron Paul event due to the fact it could be canceled!

Think of the people who distributed literature! Think of the people who made plans for this event!

They need to change their minds!

crhoades
11-01-2007, 07:22 AM
The regional rally will get no media coverage whereas the large rally would have gotten tons of media. In fact this will give the media a reason to smear them...Not to mention disgruntled volunteers...

I'm disappointed because I was going to buy tickets this morning...

:(

LibertyEagle
11-01-2007, 07:23 AM
How much was it going to cost to have this rally in Philly? Who is Tom?

Sematary, you need to give us more information!!

kylejack
I'm confused, because I was thinking the Philly rally was a supporter-organized rally. That was the impression I was getting.

Hank
Ron Paul just lost a ton of media coverage.

kylejack
Tom is probably:

Tom Kawczynski
Pennsylvania Coordinator

rpfreedom08
11-01-2007, 07:24 AM
WHO IS TOM? I didn't know we where taking our marching orders from myspace???

KewlRonduderules
11-01-2007, 07:24 AM
Wait... who's Tom? Why is there no last name or title on the email? How come there is no reference directly to the campaign?

Everybody let's wait for the facts!

Hank
11-01-2007, 07:25 AM
If this rally is canceled it's going to hurt the campaign tremendously.

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 07:26 AM
The Philly rally was a supporter-organized event from the beginning. But at the same time there was that "win a rally and visit from Ron Paul" meetup group fundraising contest sponsored by the official campaign. Not happy with the supporter organized rally, the Philly Meetup group went all out to win the Official visit. Having two events in Philadelphia was not going to happen, so the official campaign took over the grassroots event in order to meet their commitment to the Philly Meetup group.

belian78
11-01-2007, 07:26 AM
anyone actually think of calling the campaign office?

Stealth4
11-01-2007, 07:27 AM
I somehow doubt its really cancelled from its Philly location.

But if it is Im not going to the new location.

rpfreedom08
11-01-2007, 07:27 AM
AND WHY IS THE PHILLY RALLY STILL ON THE RONPAUL2008 WEBSITE? Common people don't read into this.

belian78
11-01-2007, 07:28 AM
:D

kylejack
The Philly rally was a supporter-organized event from the beginning. But at the same time there was that "win a rally and visit from Ron Paul" meetup group fundraising contest sponsored by the official campaign. Not happy with the supporter organized rally, the Philly Meetup group went all out to win the Official visit. Having two events in Philadelphia was not going to happen, so the official campaign took over the grassroots event in order to meet their commitment to the Philly Meetup group.
I see. If this is true, that seems like some serious bad blood they're generating...they co-opt the grassroots rally and then transfer it out of the city? I've contacted Tom for confirmation. I suppose there's still a small chance someone got ahold of some e-mail addresses and sent a bogus e-mail.

ronpaulfan

I'm not doing that again. I still feel bad calling them over Ad #1 :o

LibertyEagle
I just called the campaign and Brandon said it was NOT TRUE. They have not completely decided upon the venue, but they have not made the decision to move it. He is going to get someone to contact "Tom".

literatim
Sematary didn't even post a link. If he is lying, he needs banned.

constituent
pathetic. for real, i was already gearing up.

i'm not going to some half-azz university rally either.

what a let down.

Sematary
11-01-2007, 07:29 AM
How much was it going to cost to have this rally in Philly? Who is Tom?

Sematary, you need to give us more information!!

Tom is the statewide organizer for PA. He was a meetup organizer and now works for the campaign and you have all the information that I have at this moment. The reason we need to call and email the campaign is because people have already purchased airline tickets and booked hotels and may not cars available to them and we're a week away and the campaign is balking at spending $46,000 for the setup of the stage which we told them we would happily raise the money for. Not only is moving it out of the city ridiculous for logistics reasons but also for media coverage reasons and also because there is going to be a large contingent of veterans right next to us in the mall. The whole idea of moving venues NOW, after people have worked their tails off to promote this event and spent thousands of dollars of their own money to make this happen is insane. We NEED to get the campaign to stick to the original location.

Sematary
AND WHY IS THE PHILLY RALLY STILL ON THE RONPAUL2008 WEBSITE? Common people don't read into this.

This email message is FROM THE CAMPAIGN

piotr1
So whats the truth?

kylejack
I just called the campaign and Brandon said it was NOT TRUE. They have not completely decided upon the venue, but they have not made the decision to move it.
Thanks. I've e-mailed Tom for double-clarification. Obviously some dick who had access to some e-mail addresses sent a bogus e-mail. Probably one of the organizers of the grassroots rally, I would imagine.

Bradley in DC
11-01-2007, 07:30 AM

One, NEVER contact the Congressional staff about campaign events--big problem there.

Two, at the fundraiser last night in Georgetown, many people who were there volunteer at the campaign answering emails. One guy told me that he was there for X hours answering emails (with lots of other supporters) and there were more unopened emails (5,000?) than when he left.

How many media invitations, etc., haven't been opened yet? and you want to what? :confused:

Sematary
I see. If this is true, that seems like some serious bad blood they're generating...they co-opt the grassroots rally and then transfer it out of the city? I've contacted Tom for confirmation. I suppose there's still a small chance someone got ahold of some e-mail addresses and sent a bogus e-mail.

No, it's not bogus and we need to contact the campaign about this.

kylejack
This email message is FROM THE CAMPAIGN

Do you know how to check these things? What IP address was the e-mail sent from? I can send you a message that appears to be from president@whitehouse.gov if I want.

KewlRonduderules
Wait probably some of these individuals that posted it, did indeed receive an email but from WHOM is the question.

margomaps
I'd like to know what the cost concerns are, exactly. I know Ron runs a frugal campaign...perhaps a bean counter at campaign HQ -- someone who didn't now how widely publicized this rally has been -- was looking for places to cut on costs, and saw this as an opportune target?

Perhaps if the campaign were alerted to the scope of the rally (it is going to be big, correct??), they would change their minds and stick with the original venue.

Please don't get upset at the campaign without knowing the facts. It's certainly a possibility that they were waiting for an estimate of the cost to hold the venue in central Philly, and the city just got back to them with an astronomical figure. We don't want to do anything to hurt the campaign, so for the moment please give them the benefit of the doubt, ok?

Sematary
11-01-2007, 07:31 AM
So whats the truth?

The truth is what I posted.

literatim
I just called the campaign and Brandon said it was NOT TRUE. They have not completely decided upon the venue, but they have not made the decision to move it. He is going to get someone to contact "Tom".

kylejack

What IP address sent the e-mail?

LibertyEagle
11-01-2007, 07:32 AM

Well then, please point us to where you copied that 1st post of yours. Where did you see this?

Stealth4
11-01-2007, 07:32 AM
No, it's not bogus and we need to contact the campaign about this.

Someone already did - look at the post a few above yours - the campaign said it hadnt been moved from philly.

Do you have another agenda here by pushing us to call?

scottincr
11-01-2007, 07:33 AM
46k for setting up a stage? seems steep, is U2 coming to play at the event?

James R
11-01-2007, 07:33 AM
Clearly it is worth the $46,000... they need to stick to their commitment.

kylejack
11-01-2007, 07:35 AM
ITS CONFIRMED.

Kyle,

I can confirm that the rally will be held in the Philadelphia area, with at the University of Pennsylvania or at Valley Forge. Expect further details to become public later today.

Yours,
Tom

This was Tom's reply to me. He is the PA co-ordinator.

KewlRonduderules
I smell something rotten!!! This does not make any sense.

I think the entire thing is bogus!

KewlRonduderules
ITS CONFIRMED.

This was Tom's reply to me. He is the PA co-ordinator.

Ok so it is in the Philadephia area. OK so no problems then!

Gees!!!

micahnelson
11-01-2007, 07:37 AM

Gees!!!

I don't think you get it. Changing venues means hotel and flight plans all get messed up.

margomaps
11-01-2007, 07:38 AM

It's not such a problem if it's at UPenn. People who were flying in from out of town and taking a cab to Independence Mall for the rally -- they can just take a subway to Penn's campus. But Valley Forge would be a much bigger logistical problem.

(Edited to fix Art Museum --> Independence Mall)

kylejack
11-01-2007, 07:38 AM
I don't think you get it. Changing venues means hotel and flight plans all get messed up.
Explain how holding it in a different part of Philadelphia will screw up flight plans.

margomaps
11-01-2007, 07:39 AM

Edited: I mistakenly thought this was at the Art museum. The original location is at Independence Mall -- which is still a quick subway ride up to Penn. No big deal.

LibertyEagle
11-01-2007, 07:39 AM
Tom is the statewide organizer for PA. He was a meetup organizer and now works for the campaign and you have all the information that I have at this moment. The reason we need to call and email the campaign is because people have already purchased airline tickets and booked hotels and may not cars available to them and we're a week away and the campaign is balking at spending $46,000 for the setup of the stage which we told them we would happily raise the money for. Not only is moving it out of the city ridiculous for logistics reasons but also for media coverage reasons and also because there is going to be a large contingent of veterans right next to us in the mall. The whole idea of moving venues NOW, after people have worked their tails off to promote this event and spent thousands of dollars of their own money to make this happen is insane. We NEED to get the campaign to stick to the original location.

1. You think you can raise $46k in a week? Seriously?
2. I wonder how many people signed up to attend? Maybe they don't think it's worth it, because they have not had many people signup on their website.

I do agree that it is pretty darn late in the game to be making these changes. They need to make a decision and stick with it.

KewlRonduderules
11-01-2007, 07:40 AM
Not really. They are very close to Philadelphia.

margomaps
11-01-2007, 07:42 AM
Not really. They are very close to Philadelphia.

Not close enough if you don't have a car though. It's more than a 1/2 hour car ride from central Philly.

Brinck Slattery
11-01-2007, 07:42 AM
yeah, it's pretty easy to get anywhere in Philly, especially from the airport.

EDIT: Anywhere except for Valley Forge. It's a huge pain in the ass to get to Valley Forge.

DaronWestbrooke
11-01-2007, 07:43 AM
So what are they doing then with all the money we raised for them? Do they expect us to continue to just buy all the commercials, pay for all the ads, put up all the bumperstickers, and pay for all the rallies.

My email this morning said there was a chance this rally was a no-go. How many people bought tickets and made plans?

You can't have a rEVOLution without a general, and if our general is asleep.. well.. I'm pissed off now about this and a couple of other things so I'll shut up.

me3
11-01-2007, 07:43 AM
It's unprofessional and disorganized of the campaign to do this on short notice. I think they are being terribly shortsighted.

kylejack
11-01-2007, 07:44 AM
Hey wait a minute...didn't we chipin for the grassroots people to create the rally? What happened to all that money? I seem to recall a chipin specifically for event insurance.

LibertyEagle
Sematary,

How many flyers have already been handed out about this?

kylejack
It's unprofessional and disorganized of the campaign to do this on short notice. I think they are being terribly shortsighted.

No joke. Ten days? Everything should be locked in by that time.

DaronWestbrooke
11-01-2007, 07:46 AM
Hey wait a minute...didn't we chipin for the grassroots people to create the rally? What happened to all that money? I seem to recall a chipin specifically for event insurance.

What about the five fucking million dollars that we donated that is sitting in the bank? When are they going to spend that? What happens to that money if it isn't spent?

kylejack
11-01-2007, 07:46 AM
What about the five fucking million dollars that we donated that is sitting in the bank? When are they going to spend that? What happens to that money if it isn't spent?

Well, he's spent 430K on radio, 1.1 million on TV ads, and more ads were just bought for Iowa.

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 07:47 AM
Why is it going to be any less than 46k at the other locations to set up the stage?

Brinck Slattery
11-01-2007, 07:48 AM
5 million goes quick when you're trying to advertise in a politically saturated market like Iowa and NH.

Brinck Slattery
11-01-2007, 07:48 AM
Why is it going to be any less than 46k at the other locations to set up the stage?

2 words - Filthydelphia, Unions.

DaronWestbrooke
11-01-2007, 07:49 AM
Well, he's spent 430K on radio, 1.1 million on TV ads, and more ads were just bought for Iowa.

Still that is a lot of money sitting around that should be used for the campaign, there is only a few months to go before the first primaries. I sure as fuck don't want to be funding his congressional campaign or paying a bunch of staffers to use the money flying to some resort or something like that.

literatim
1. You think you can raise $46k in a week? Seriously?
2. I wonder how many people signed up to attend? Maybe they don't think it's worth it, because they have not had many people signup on their website.

I do agree that it is pretty darn late in the game to be making these changes. They need to make a decision and stick with it.

I see why he is upset. The campaign kind of took over a grassroots rally and they have just now demoted it.

kylejack

I figure, some popular locations can charge exorbitant prices knowing that they can get away with it. I bet that's how Independence Hall is, or wherever it was planned. A regular event hall at UPENN probably charges much more reasonable prices.

That's just a guess. I still think this all should have been locked in way before ten days out.

literatim
11-01-2007, 07:50 AM
It would be very unwise for them to change the location now.

James R
11-01-2007, 07:51 AM
After letting the steam off for a while I've realized that as long as there is plenty of signs and at least a couple people at Independence Mall there to re-direct people, then it should be okay. Also, it had better be really close to Philly so people don't have to go a long way after they have gone all the way to the Mall to realize nothing is going on there.

LibertyEagle
11-01-2007, 07:53 AM
I see why he is upset. The campaign kind of took over a grassroots rally and they have just now demoted it.

I can too.

But, if we are asking the campaign, rather than the grassroots, to pay the $46k for the setup, well then, they have a say, don't they?

If Sematary thinks we can raise that amount to pay for the setup, we'd better get going.

LibertyEagle
11-01-2007, 07:55 AM
Still that is a lot of money sitting around that should be used for the campaign, there is only a few months to go before the first primaries. I sure as fuck don't want to be funding his congressional campaign or paying a bunch of staffers to use the money flying to some resort or something like that.

Oh, get real!!! They aren't doing that. They have been spending money like there is no tomorrow, lately. 430K on radio ads, 1 million on TV ads, and God knows how much on that 12 page mailing. They are opening THREE offices in S. Carolina, working on opening one in Nevada, and on and on. Do you think this stuff is FREE? :rolleyes:

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 07:55 AM
Our big problem is that the Philly Meetup group won that damn contest for a CAMPAIGN-organized rally and meeting with Ron Paul. If they hadn't, we wouldn't have this mess. The campaign still has that obligation to them unfortunately. So if anything is going to get sidelined, it is going to be the grassroots effort. A chip-in can't be used for official purposes.

Maybe we need to just let the campaign do what they think is right at this point to meet their obligations. And then plan for a July 4 rally in Philly if he looks like he is going to win the nomination.

literatim
11-01-2007, 07:56 AM
I can too.

But, if we are asking the campaign, rather than the grassroots, to pay the $46k for the setup, well then, they have a say, don't they?

If Sematary thinks we can raise that amount to pay for the setup, we'd better get going.

From what I gathered, the meetup group offered to raise the money for the stage awhile ago.

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 07:58 AM
Offering and legally being able to do it under FEC rules is two different things.

drexhex
11-01-2007, 07:59 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I know that hundreds of fliers were handed out on Drexel's campus during the Democratic debate, with at least 50-100 people saying they are definitely going to go to the rally. If it's moved, people are going to be pissed!

As college students, spending even just the $2.00 for the subway to get to the rally is going to be a pain. Imagine how many people we're going to lose if the rally is moved and they have to take the subway back to campus, completely wasting $4? I know it doesn't seem like much to many of us on here, but these are college students.

If it is moved, we need to get people to be both at the original location and at the subway stops on Drexel's and UPenn's campus. Also, 30th Street Station.

If it's not moved, shame on whoever spread the rumor.

kylejack
11-01-2007, 08:01 AM
Pre-emptive strike: Do not call the Congressional office with any questions about this or anything else related to the campaign. Those people are employed by the government and it is ILLEGAL for them to do campaign work or answer questions about the campaign. If you call anyone, call the official campaign only, and please exercise your best judgement. Try not to flood them.

LibertyEagle
11-01-2007, 08:01 AM
It is WAY too late in the game for the campaign to move this. If they wanted to hold it elsewhere, they should have made that decision long ago. Apparently THOUSANDS of flyers have already been handed out.

literatim
11-01-2007, 08:02 AM
It makes me mad and I am not even going.

They could easily make up the costs of the rally by doing a donation drive at the rally.

James R
11-01-2007, 08:06 AM
Our big problem is that the Philly Meetup group won that damn contest for a CAMPAIGN-organized rally and meeting with Ron Paul. If they hadn't, we wouldn't have this mess. The campaign still has that obligation to them unfortunately. So if anything is going to get sidelined, it is going to be the grassroots effort. A chip-in can't be used for official purposes.

Maybe we need to just let the campaign do what they think is right at this point to meet their obligations. And then plan for a July 4 rally in Philly if he looks like he is going to win the nomination.

Yes, but did they agree to a specific location in Philly?

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 08:07 AM
No. Just a rally in Philadelphia.

runderwo
11-01-2007, 08:10 AM
Uh yeah, we've had plane tickets and lodging for 2 weeks now. This is major uncool.

meghandan1
11-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Unless you are involved with the Philadelphia area meetups and the many steps we have taken to ensure this rally happened, please stop commenting. We are all still working hard to make this happen, our meeting was no longer a top priority, this larger event was so please stop yet another rumor. Whatever decision is made to move the rally will mean we are still need to step up and salvage it, not continue the infighting.

LibertyEagle
11-01-2007, 08:14 AM
This is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen. It's like we create our own crises, just so we can go into crisis management.

It's way too late in the game to change the venue for this event. This is seriously making me doubt the organizational skills of those involved. Geez!!!

xcalybur
11-01-2007, 08:29 AM
We don't have all the information. If the campaign is really moving the venue then there is a good reason for it. I don't doubt that they were weighing the pro's and con's of this. There has to be a better reason than the money. Shoot, we can raise $46k in half a day. This has to be about something else that we just don't know. Give them a little time to work it out.

LibertyEagle
11-01-2007, 08:30 AM
Shoot, we can raise $46k in half a day.

Oh REALLY? I find this hard to believe.

Sematary
11-01-2007, 08:31 AM
Oh REALLY? I find this hard to believe.

I don't.

constituent
11-01-2007, 08:34 AM
Don't contact the campaign. Just put a message where they'll actually see it, digg um (http://http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/DEVELOPING_Philly_Co_opted), yum.

dsentell
11-01-2007, 08:37 AM
This is BAD! Sematary and others have put in hours of work and much money on making this a HUGE event.

It seems that no one in the campaign monitors what we are doing (they did not know about the money bombs until someone recently told them) and they are probably totally unaware of the effort that has gone into this.

I think the campaign or Tom should be contacted and told about what has been going on .....

specsaregood
11-01-2007, 08:38 AM
Sematary,

Thousands. Thousands of flyers and people in the area have been told about the Rally AT INDEPENDENCE MALL. This sucks.

literatim
11-01-2007, 08:40 AM
Wasn't there also an ad put in the newspaper?

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 08:41 AM
The Campaign rsvp page says the location is to be announced. It has been the grassroots that has been saying the location is the Mall. What the Philly Meetup has been promoting I don't know. Obviously though not everyone has been on the same page.

Correction: The Meetup says the location has not yet been announced, yet they link to the grassroots page which says that it has:

http://ronpaul.meetup.com/25/calendar/6608855/

RPFTW!
11-01-2007, 08:41 AM
This sounds like a bad idea! I defended the campaign fervently with their Ron Paul Ad#1, but this one is really throwing up the red flags, please move it back! What happens when all those who got the flyers show up and theres only like 20 people there???????

This is madness!

James R
11-01-2007, 08:45 AM
This sounds like a bad idea! I defended the campaign fervently with their Ron Paul Ad#1, but this one is really throwing up the red flags, please move it back! What happens when all those who got the flyers show up and theres only like 20 people there???????This is madness!

Maybe the new location they have in mind is less than 20 minutes away from the Mall site. This way, there can be a handful of people there just to re-direct everyone.

RPFTW!
11-01-2007, 08:46 AM
I can see Fox News now 'Only 40 people showed up today to watch Ron Paul talk in the embarrasingly disapointing Philadelphia rally today, in other news dark horse Huckabee is building momentum!'

walt
11-01-2007, 08:46 AM
what cost? it's a public park. it's downtown, it's visible.

Sematary
11-01-2007, 08:48 AM
what cost? it's a public park. it's downtown, it's visible.

There are costs related to setup of staging and such.

Sematary
11-01-2007, 08:49 AM
This is BAD! Sematary and others have put in hours of work and much money on making this a HUGE event.

It seems that no one in the campaign monitors what we are doing (they did not know about the money bombs until someone recently told them) and they are probably totally unaware of the effort that has gone into this.

I think the campaign or Tom should be contacted and told about what has been going on .....

Tom knows. He is a member here and has been working his tail off for this rally.

BizmanUSA
11-01-2007, 08:53 AM
46k for setting up a stage? seems steep, is U2 coming to play at the event?

The amount mentioned was not for JUST A STAGE but for many, many other items that must be included to hold a mega event as WAS planned.

Things like portable toilets, communications, security equipment not to mention sound & lighting (for the media to capture our celebration of Ron Paul), large power plant generators, liability and event insurance and on and on are REQUIRED to make an event of this size almost happen

These things just do not pop up out of the ground at event sites

We need to convince the campaign to make this happen in Philly as planned

If not (and not to be taken as any sort of threat, promise or otherwise) this will take the wind out of MANY sails!

Not :cool:

BizmanUSA

KewlRonduderules
11-01-2007, 08:56 AM
It is not the cost everybody! Apparently, there was a last minute snag! Something happened- I am not sure yet. Seems like the establishment might have pulled a few strings to sabotage the event.

walt
11-01-2007, 08:57 AM
I just called. They said it's not a cost issue but something else 'highly complex' - they said they are "working feverishly on it" and that there should be an announcement in "a few hours".

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 09:00 AM
OK, will check back in a couple hours once things are clearer.

Sematary
11-01-2007, 09:02 AM
It is not the cost everybody! Apparently, there was a last minute snag! Something happened- I am not sure yet. Seems like the establishment might have pulled a few strings to sabotage the event.

No, you don't have to believe the people intimately involved with the event. You can simply make something up.

James R
11-01-2007, 09:02 AM
I just called. They said it's not a cost issue but something else 'highly complex' - they said they are "working feverishly on it" and that there should be an announcement in "a few hours".

Thanks for the update.

McDermit
11-01-2007, 09:05 AM
Sematary,

Philly had 10000 professional slimjims done up, and TONS of people were handing out homemade flyers. We gave out over 5000 homemade ones between the REO Speedwagon concert in Reading, the Penguins game in Wilkes-Barre, and the PSU v Ohio State game.

A bunch of people expressed interest in attending, and likely none are even signed up to the campaign email list or a meetup group. They'll have no way of learning about the changes, especially since the reach is so broad. Central PA, NEPA, people from all over who came for the games, etc.

KewlRonduderules
11-01-2007, 09:05 AM
No, you don't have to believe the people intimately involved with the event. You can simply make something up.

What's up with you, dude? :confused: It is from the campaign itself. It was not a cost issue. Something else happened. We don't know yet.

Let's wait and see...

Hank
11-01-2007, 09:09 AM
Philly had 10000 professional slimjims done up, and TONS of people were handing out homemade flyers. We gave out over 5000 homemade ones between the REO Speedwagon concert in Reading, the Penguins game in Wilkes-Barre, and the PSU v Ohio State game.

A bunch of people expressed interest in attending, and likely none are even signed up to the campaign email list or a meetup group. They'll have no way of learning about the changes, especially since the reach is so broad. Central PA, NEPA, people from all over who came for the games, etc.

We must demand that the campaign NOT change the event!

It would RUIN IT!

McDermit
11-01-2007, 09:10 AM
The campaign never should have taken over the rally. Never. Leave it to us, shit gets done. Leave it to them... well... :rolleyes:

McDermit
11-01-2007, 09:11 AM
We must demand that the campaign NOT change the event!

It would RUIN IT!

Agreed. Valley Forge, especially, would be the worst possible location.

Sematary
11-01-2007, 09:12 AM
What's up with you, dude? :confused: It is from the campaign itself. It was not a cost issue. Something else happened. We don't know yet.

Let's wait and see...

Ya, I know what the campaign said.

drexhex
11-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Here's something I just came up with...

Because of the amount of people coming, there can logically be 2 different rallies. One official one, where anybody who knows about the change can go to, and one grassroots one at Independence Mall that would only last an hour or so, and then we could march!

On the 10th, have people at Independence Mall to explain the move. Also say that because of the move and so many people coming to Independence Mall, there's going to be a march at 1PM. At that time, have Ron Paul Revolution signs in the front of the group and lead everyone to the new location of the rally (if it's within walking distance, of course). If it's on Penn's campus, it would take about 1 hour to get there. That would leave about an hour for the official rally. Since there's already going to be so many people who know about the switch, having everyone else come in like that would really show how much support President Paul is getting.

It might be a crazy idea, but so is moving the rally so close to the date. If we're expecting thousands of people and half of them don't know about the switch, having a few thousand people march in Philly would, IMO, be a great opportunity.

Let's try to make the most of this!

If the distance is a problem, filling up the subway with people would be awesome too. Also, if it's in Valley Forge, I say we just have 2 different rallies completely.

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 09:19 AM
I like that idea. Best idea I have read all morning.

Sematary
11-01-2007, 09:28 AM
I like that idea. Best idea I have read all morning.

We can't hold a rally on Independence Mall without insurance.

James R
11-01-2007, 09:34 AM
Here's something I just came up with...

Because of the amount of people coming, there can logically be 2 different rallies. One official one, where anybody who knows about the change can go to, and one grassroots one at Independence Mall that would only last an hour or so, and then we could march!

On the 10th, have people at Independence Mall to explain the move. Also say that because of the move and so many people coming to Independence Mall, there's going to be a march at 1PM. At that time, have Ron Paul Revolution signs in the front of the group and lead everyone to the new location of the rally (if it's within walking distance, of course). If it's on Penn's campus, it would take about 1 hour to get there. That would leave about an hour for the official rally. Since there's already going to be so many people who know about the switch, having everyone else come in like that would really show how much support President Paul is getting.

It might be a crazy idea, but so is moving the rally so close to the date. If we're expecting thousands of people and half of them don't know about the switch, having a few thousand people march in Philly would, IMO, be a great opportunity.

Let's try to make the most of this!

If the distance is a problem, filling up the subway with people would be awesome too. Also, if it's in Valley Forge, I say we just have 2 different rallies completely.

I like this idea! We would still need signs and people behind so that the late-comers would know what happened.

Also, maybe a bus should be chartered to go back and forth if it isn't too expensive for those who are handicapped or particularly late.

drexhex
11-01-2007, 09:36 AM
We can't hold a rally on Independence Mall without insurance.

What happened to the grassroots rally money? It'll be a tight fit trying to get everything set up so quickly, but I think this is the best way to make the most out of the cards we've been dealt. When the universe gives you lemons, make lemonade, right?

Also, we're talking about an emergency fund to keep them there, why not an emergency fund to push this through?

Sematary
11-01-2007, 09:38 AM
What happened to the grassroots rally money? It'll be a tight fit trying to get everything set up so quickly, but I think this is the best way to make the most out of the cards we've been dealt. When the universe gives you lemons, make lemonade, right?

When the campaign took over the rally, I contacted all the donors and asked them what they wanted me to do with the money. It was split more or less evenly between the campaign and money for other uses for the rally. It was disbursed in that manner. About half was donated directly to the campaign and the rest went to fliers and such for the rally.

Nefertiti
I thought the insurance was paid for the Mall? This suggestion will deal with the fact that people WILL show up there anyway, it's just redirecting those people.

Sematary
I like this idea! We would still need signs and people behind so that the late-comers would know what happened.

Also, maybe a bus should be chartered to go back and forth if it isn't too expensive for those who are handicapped or particularly late.

Well, at least a carpool of some sort. We should DEFINITELY do something.

Sematary
11-01-2007, 09:39 AM
I thought the insurance was paid for the Mall? This suggestion will deal with the fact that people WILL show up there anyway, it's just redirecting those people.

See post #116

drexhex
11-01-2007, 09:40 AM
I edited my post, but you might have missed what I said:
"Also, we're talking about an emergency fund to keep them there, why not an emergency fund to push this through?"

McDermit
11-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Methinks we should not let HQ take over any grassroots events from here out. Grassroots could have had this thing done and set in stone ages ago. All RP had to do was show up.

Sematary
11-01-2007, 10:46 AM
I edited my post, but you might have missed what I said:
"Also, we're talking about an emergency fund to keep them there, why not an emergency fund to push this through?"

FEC regs may not allow it.

freedominnumbers
11-01-2007, 10:47 AM
Sematary, from your diggings maybe you can answer this.

What I'm concerned with is not where it is, but rather is this event going to be the same scope as what was talked about before? 10K people and a country music performance?

slantedview
11-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Methinks we should not let HQ take over any grassroots events from here out. Grassroots could have had this thing done and set in stone ages ago. All RP had to do was show up.

Grassroots did set this in stone. Somehow HQ got a hold and is screwing it up, apparently.

Moving this rally is the biggest mistake they could possibly make. Plans have been made. It's too late.

Sematary
11-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Sematary, from your diggings maybe you can answer this.

What I'm concerned with is not where it is, but rather is this event going to be the same scope as what was talked about before? 10K people and a country music performance?

As far as I am aware, the musical entertainment has not changed. as for the scope - there is no way. People are already considering (or have) canceled their plans. University of PA can only hold 3400 people. Valley Forge is WAY out of the way and will deter people from coming. So no, I don't think we'll see 10,000 people.

No Opinion
11-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Very foolish indeed. Let me count the ways. WE THE PEOPLE have been trumped!!!

KewlRonduderules
11-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Very foolish indeed. Let me count the ways. WE THE PEOPLE have been trumped!!!

Funny this guy posts a few posts that are so vocal.

This sounds suspicious.

Trolling?

Deadwing
11-01-2007, 01:51 PM
I've been reading through all these posts and I have to admit, I've been concerned since I first heard about the Ron Paul Philadelphia rally (back in September at a local Philadelphia Ron Paul Meet-Up event) that this rally was being planned to be a far bigger event than it may turn out to be.

10,000 is a large number of people and personally I never saw anywhere near that many people coming out to a rally on Independence Mall. I was thinking 1000 would be pretty impressive. Just because thousands of flyers have been handed out doesn't mean people will come. I had an event I planned back in 1997 and handed out over a thousand flyers to what I considered targeted audience. The flyers did nothing. Not one attendee came bacause of the flyers. I mean really, flyers up at a Penn State game 4 hours away in State College??

My guess is the Ron Paul campaign does not want to be embaraased if a huge rally is planned and gets a much smaller turn-out. It could make them look VERY bad. Better to have a large crowd at a small rally then a small crowd at a large one.

Of course now if there's a smaller than desired turn-out, the local organizers have a built in excuse that it was all the fault of the campaign for changing the location.

-Rich

McDermit
11-01-2007, 02:10 PM
I've been reading through all these posts and I have to admit, I've been concerned since I first heard about the Ron Paul Philadelphia rally (back in September at a local Philadelphia Ron Paul Meet-Up event) that this rally was being planned to be a far bigger event than it may turn out to be.

10,000 is a large number of people and personally I never saw anywhere near that many people coming out to a rally on Independence Mall. I was thinking 1000 would be pretty impressive. Just because thousands of flyers have been handed out doesn't mean people will come. I had an event I planned back in 1997 and handed out over a thousand flyers to what I considered targeted audience. The flyers did nothing. Not one attendee came bacause of the flyers. I mean really, flyers up at a Penn State game 4 hours away in State College??

My guess is the Ron Paul campaign does not want to be embaraased if a huge rally is planned and gets a much smaller turn-out. It could make them look VERY bad. Better to have a large crowd at a small rally then a small crowd at a large one.

Of course now if there's a smaller than desired turn-out, the local organizers have a built in excuse that it was all the fault of the campaign for changing the location.

-Richlol. Nice first post. :rolleyes:

You're seriously underestimating RP's support and the enthusiasm we all have.

And there's a Penn State game at Temple on the 10th - tons of people from State College are going to be in Philly, and a lot of people come in with friends who are going to the game just for the free ride to/from Philly. I have a few friends out at state college who are (were?) coming in just for the rally, hitching rides with game-goers.

I never heard anyone in any official capacity say they wanted 10k. The initial goal was 3000, hoping for 5+. We can do that no problem. Just look at the Michigan and Chicago rallies. We'd be drawing from a huge area, not just Philly. People WILL travel to see RP. Many are even flying in for the day. And people definitely expressed interest in attended when they got flyers. I know a bunch of casual supporters from my town heading down. Some don't even have internet access. No way are they all going to find out about the changes.