PDA

View Full Version : What is Compromise?

CaptUSA
07-25-2011, 01:15 PM
I keep hearing the media pundits talking about how the Republicans refuse to compromise on the debt ceiling deal and they don't want the pain to be "shared". It seems to me that the media's definition of compromise is severely askew.

It seems the GOP is already willing to increase the debt ceiling - that certainly seems to qualify as a compromise if it's something they don't really want. But that's not enough, they need to increase the ceiling AND raise taxes or no deal? And if they're unwilling, this means they won't compromise?!

If you've been defecating in my yard for years and wanted to continue, and I agreed to let you keep doing it for a period of time, that's a shitty compromise. If we're just discussing your diet, it's not a compromise.

Sola_Fide
07-25-2011, 01:18 PM
It's another fake dilemma. Government is going to continue to grow and debt is going to increase no matter what.

erowe1
07-25-2011, 01:22 PM
It seems the GOP is already willing to increase the debt ceiling

Not only are they willing to. They desperately want to, and they'll do anything to be able to raise the debt ceiling while making it look like they didn't want to, but were forced to in some kind of "compromise." The Ds all know this. This is why the Rs have no negotiating power.

swiftfoxmark2
07-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Bad deal for all of us coming by next Monday. It doesn't matter who wins the compromise, we all lose in the end.

Aratus
07-25-2011, 01:47 PM
if sen. mcconnell and potus obama cut a deal,
it may be said to be a historic compromise...
(the NFL walkout has been avoided today!)

Anti Federalist
07-25-2011, 02:15 PM
What is Compromise?

Doing what government and the ruling class wants.

NewRightLibertarian
07-25-2011, 02:18 PM

Yep, compromise is elite speak for 'giving in'

You'd have to be a silly, pedantic, insane terrorist to not want the debt ceiling raised anyway. I mean, how else would we continue to drop bombs on people? And 'we' gotta pay off all those millions of people who the government has made permanently dependent too.

CaptUSA
07-25-2011, 02:20 PM
All good comments. I guess I was alluding to the fact that the media seem to be suggesting that the GOP is unwilling to compromise, but that's all that they're doing!

How can they possibly get credit for not wanting to compromise?

A Son of Liberty
07-25-2011, 02:33 PM
In any compromise between food and poison, it is only death that can win. In any compromise between good and evil, it is only evil that can profit.

From Atlas Shrugged

tasteless
07-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Awww man, when I saw the thread title, I was hoping to see a GIF from the SNL skit with a bunch of congressmen bobbing their heads in the car.

Brooklyn Red Leg
07-25-2011, 04:28 PM

Argh!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Anti Federalist again.

So very true my friend. So very true....