PDA

View Full Version : Locating Ron Paul Supporters

Article V
07-24-2011, 02:57 PM
I know there are Meetup Groups around the country. But, is there a way that we could learn where one another are within the Ron Paul forums? Is there a way we can create and utilize our localities to start volunteer ground campaigns with one another?

I'm in New Orleans, the closest meetup to me for Ron Paul is in Baton Rouge (more than an hour away and in a less populated, less interesting city). Many people on this forum aren't on Meetup or don't want to Meetup when communicating on a forum is easier and more convenient at first or while testing the waters of becoming involved. All that said, I'd totally walk door-to-door or pass out flyers or whatever if there were an easy avenue for doing that within my city. Right now, it seems like we can only do that in cities where the campaign is already in full force, and I feel isolated from those opportunities as I: (a) don't have the money to buy/create campaign materials, and (b) don't want to feel like a freak by being a lone man shouting on the streets to "Vote for Ron Paul".

I'm a headstrong outgoing person, so if I'm experiencing personal barriers toward "pounding the pavement" for Paul in my city then certainly others are feeling the same way elsewhere.

Is there a way we could lower the 'self-imposed' barriers for entry into volunteering for Ron Paul by somehow creating easier inroads for people to connect with others in their areas? I think if people got together, they'd be more likely to get involved with the campaign or start something of their own perhaps before the official campaign comes to their town. The earlier we can get a head start, the more likely we are to turn people on to Ron Paul and to dispel the myth that Ron Paul can't win. People will see the change around them, and they will change their perceptions of what's possible based on those newly perceived changes in the society around them.

Basically, Ron Paul supporters are perceived to be strong online; but not perceived to be strong in the real world. We need to figure out a way to mobilize the online force so that we can better manifest ourselves in the physical world. Voting for online polls is great, but it's even better if we start real-world ground campaigns for Paul.

TheViper
07-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Try this forum section. It's used often to schedule meet ups in LA.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?156-Louisiana

Article V
07-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks, Viper. I did try posting there as you suggested.

However, to be clear, I started this general thread not for me alone, nor for Louisiana alone. I meant to suggest something broader:

It seems most members of this forum don't use the state pages much, so I'm wondering if we might easily distinguish our locations in some other way. Perhaps the RPforum programmers could set it up so that our various state seals (emblems) appear next to our avatars?
Or perhaps our locations could simply be listed under our avatars like so:

Perhaps, if we make a small change like that, something big might develop organically on its own.

CaseyJones
07-27-2011, 01:55 PM
you can add your location just update your profile

Article V
07-27-2011, 02:03 PM
you can add your location just update your profileYou're right! Thanks.

Why aren't more people doing this? Let's start a campaign within the forum to get members to update their profile with location info!

CaseyJones
07-27-2011, 02:05 PM
well some want their privacy and that is cool, did make me add my own though :p

Article V
07-27-2011, 02:06 PM
did make me add my own though :p Glad I could spur at least you and me to update our profile info. Two down, thousands to go... ;)

johnald
07-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Great Idea!

gerryb
07-27-2011, 03:34 PM
I'm in New Orleans, the closest meetup to me for Ron Paul is in Baton Rouge (more than an hour away and in a less populated, less interesting city).

Start a meetup for your city our county!

I did this about a month and a half ago.. we've had 3 meetings and have about 20 folks who are getting involved and planning activities now..

Eric21ND
07-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Just take the reins and start one. Start a facebook group.

muzzled dogg
07-27-2011, 03:55 PM
Yeah I wish rpf made u select a zip code or something and made it public so I could spam the ish outta people from new england