PDA

View Full Version : I think Paul is running for congress again if he fails to get the presidency

Agorism
07-24-2011, 02:22 PM
Because he's not running, they're not breaking up his district.

Let a hand picked chump think he's getting the district fully intact, then once the districting is done and the dust has settled, reconsider a run for the house.

...just saying.

malkusm
07-24-2011, 02:25 PM
He'd be 79 in 2014, and he'd have given up his seniority privileges in Congress, so he'd get the bottom of the barrel for committee selections. I'd say this is VERY unlikely.

Agorism
07-24-2011, 02:30 PM
As long as it's a consecutive term, you don't give up seniority.

All he's done is announce intentions. He still has the freedom to run again.

LibertyEagle
07-24-2011, 02:34 PM
He's said he's not going to do it.

Agorism
07-24-2011, 02:37 PM
Ya he's focusing on the presidency right now. But if his district is intact after the dust settles over, why not?

Some hand-picked chump will be thinking he is going to get the Paul district fully intact and one of those nice congressional pensions that Paul is refusing, but why should Paul not reconsider after the presidency race.

No reason to reconsider right now because if he did reconsider, then they tear apart his district. But why not reconsider later one like I said before after the dust has settled.

Napoleon's Shadow
07-24-2011, 02:43 PM
He's said he's not going to do it.
Exactly. I take him at his word.

ctiger2
07-24-2011, 02:47 PM
Not gonna happen.

rp08orbust
07-24-2011, 02:49 PM
I don't think the configuration of the district has anything to do with Ron Paul's decisions on the matter. As Jesse Benton said, Ron Paul could win in any district they give him.

trey4sports
07-24-2011, 02:51 PM
Ron will do what he said he will do.

erowe1
07-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Because he's not running, they're not breaking up his district.

Is this true?

Does this mean Medina is back in his district again?

rp08orbust
07-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Is this true?

If it is true, it proves that Jesse Benton's comment about the redistricting being a compliment to Ron Paul was exactly right. Now that Ron Paul isn't running for reelection, they need to maintain the district's current configuration to keep it safe for Republicans.

Agorism
07-24-2011, 03:04 PM
If they were plotting to break up my district and I were in his position, I'd be "focusing on the presidency" as well.

libertybrewcity
07-24-2011, 04:02 PM
I don't think he would change his mind again. He's not Brett Farve...

AGRP
07-24-2011, 04:44 PM
Id love to see him do education tours.

raiha
07-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Well he won't be running for the SUPERCONGRESS! That's certain!

Carehn
07-24-2011, 06:27 PM
i don't think he would change his mind again. He's not brett farve...
lol

MJU1983
07-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Ron will do what he said he will do.

He always seems to and that's why we love him. :)

Kotin
07-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Ron Paul doesn't play games.. If he says he's done, he's done.

Kregisen
07-24-2011, 08:40 PM
2 more years of Ron won't do much anyway. Yes it's always nice to have a voice of reason in congress but really, even if he ran again he would just retire 2 years later anyway. Unless he's president I don't see him giving up much more of his life to politics instead of his family.

It's sad to know he is probably done with congress for good but good to know how long he's served America. A true patriot.

Carson
07-24-2011, 09:03 PM
I would hate to see him out of the picture but I have no problem of Ron Paul taking a little time for Ron Paul and his wife, Mrs. Carol Paul.

He certainly deserves a break and maybe it would turn into a chance to spread his message to a more diverse audience. The problems we face are now global it seems.

Still like I said, I'd hate to see him out of the picture and even worse forgotten. But can he ever be forgotten at this stage in our history?

Paul Or Nothing II
07-25-2011, 07:52 AM
As long as it's a consecutive term, you don't give up seniority.

All he's done is announce intentions. He still has the freedom to run again.

True. I think he should run, if he couldn't make headway with the presidency & more so, because these are the best times for him because everything he'd said for years will come true & if he's still in Congress then he can at least say "told ya" & keep spreading the message of liberty.

sailingaway
07-25-2011, 08:02 AM
If he doesn't win the Presidency I'd love to have him in congress. I was really bummed when I read his announcement. No one else in Congress represents me. Not even Rand represents me the way Ron does. But I don't think he's going to run again.

If they don't carve up his district after all, Medina could, though. She was going to be carved out of it otherwise. (She doesn't represent me the way Ron does, either, but she'd be good for Texas, and Ron's district deserves better than what it would likely otherwise get.)

Paul Or Nothing II
07-25-2011, 08:11 AM
If he doesn't win the Presidency I'd love to have him in congress. I was really bummed when I read his announcement. No one else in Congress represents me. Not even Rand represents me the way Ron does. But I don't think he's going to run again.

If they don't carve up his district after all, Medina could, though. She was going to be carved out of it otherwise. (She doesn't represent me the way Ron does, either, but she'd be good for Texas, and Ron's district deserves better than what it would likely otherwise get.)

I think if he really doesn't want to run then he should plant one of his other sons in there, I mean he'd stand a good chance just for the fact he's Ron's son :D

V4Vendetta
07-25-2011, 08:16 AM
i'll bet the farm Paul is not running for re-election... he knows whats about to happen

Seraphim
07-25-2011, 08:19 AM
I agree - this is probably his last hoorah.

i'll bet the farm Paul is not running for re-election... he knows whats about to happen

erowe1
07-25-2011, 08:22 AM
Pardon my laziness, but really, does this mean Medina is back in his district?

I was under the impression that the redistricting was going to put her out of it. But if that's not the case, then we need to get her to run to replace him.

ord33
07-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Here is an article (which is absolutely terrible with regard to Dr. Paul) that tells who is already planning running in Dr. Paul's vacancy:

None of the Texas Republicans vying to replace him in Congress—school administrator John Gay, politically connected attorney Michael Truncale, and state legislator Larry Taylor (who on Wednesday announced he would drop out of the race)—consider themselves libertarians. When I met Truncale at a GOP social hour at a yacht club in Kemah, an affluent resort town on Galveston Bay, he told me that a number of Paul's positions "may be a bit extreme for me." And Gay gripes that Paul wants to shrink government to the point that it's "almost like no government." In fact, nobody I met at the club described themselves as full-fledged Ron Paul supporters.
hxtp://motherjones.com/politics/2011/07/ron-paul-texas-federal-spending-pork

erowe1
07-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Here is an article (which is absolutely terrible with regard to Dr. Paul) that tells who is already planning running in Dr. Paul's vacancy:

hxtp://motherjones.com/politics/2011/07/ron-paul-texas-federal-spending-pork

My guess is that when people like that call themselves "libertarians" they mean they're pro-choice.

ord33
07-25-2011, 10:10 AM
My guess is that when people like that call themselves "libertarians" they mean they're pro-choice.

I might be misunderstanding your comment, but the author said that none of the people running for Paul's seat considered themselves libertarian. At least none of the three he refers to in the article.

Sola_Fide
07-25-2011, 10:10 AM
It's not like Ron to go back on his word. I don't think he will run.

But he will definitely have ways to spread the message of liberty. Books, movies, speeches...the possibilities are endless guys.

erowe1
07-25-2011, 10:18 AM
I might be misunderstanding your comment, but the author said that none of the people running for Paul's seat considered themselves libertarian. At least none of the three he refers to in the article.

My bad. I missed the "none."

Tom in NYC
07-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Pardon my laziness, but really, does this mean Medina is back in his district?

I was under the impression that the redistricting was going to put her out of it. But if that's not the case, then we need to get her to run to replace him.

You don't have to live in the district to run anyway. Just the state. It's harder to win because the opposition will point it out, but there are a few members of Congress who do not technically live in their district. One was just on Colbert a few weeks back.

erowe1
07-25-2011, 12:08 PM
You don't have to live in the district to run anyway. Just the state. It's harder to win because the opposition will point it out, but there are a few members of Congress who do not technically live in their district. One was just on Colbert a few weeks back.

That's a good point.

But IIRC, there was some discussion about Medina running for it before, and she supposedly mentioned being outside the new district (as it then was) as a reason not to.

tangent4ronpaul
07-25-2011, 06:24 PM
If he looses the primaries, is that too late to declare a Senate run?