PDA

View Full Version : NYT - Take a walk inside the mind of "true believer" in the nanny state.

Anti Federalist
07-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Just a few of the many "money quotes":

It would also bug those who might resent paying more for soda and chips and argue that their right to eat whatever they wanted was being breached. But public health is the role of the government, and our diet is right up there with any other public responsibility you can name, from water treatment to mass transit.

(We have experts who can figure out how “bad” a food should be to qualify, and what the rate should be; right now they’re busy calculating ethanol subsidies. Diet sodas would not be taxed.)

Forcing sales of junk food down through taxes isn’t ideal. First off, we’ll have to listen to nanny-state arguments, which can be countered by the acceptance of the anti-tobacco movement as well as a dozen other successful public health measures.

Bad Food? Tax It, and Subsidize Vegetables

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/opinion/sunday/24bittman.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

NewRightLibertarian
07-24-2011, 12:27 PM
The state really enables pieces of shit like this to feel like they can and should be able to tell everyone else how to live. And that it's for 'the greater good'. What a dangerously stupid asshole this guy is

Slutter McGee
07-24-2011, 12:28 PM
See you asshole anti smoking nazis. This is the kind of shit your campaign has brought. You wanted to stop evil smokers like me. And you did. And now the left is using that as a basis for all kinds of other regulations. Goddamn idiots.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

specsaregood
07-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Bad Food? Tax It, and Subsidize Vegetables
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/opinion/sunday/24bittman.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

That is an interesting storyline; but the reality is this:

Seen any walnuts in your medicine cabinet lately? According to the Food and Drug Administration, that is precisely where you should find them. Because Diamond Foods made truthful claims about the health benefits of consuming walnuts that the FDA didn’t approve, it sent the company a letter declaring, “Your walnut products are drugs” — and “new drugs” at that — and, therefore, “they may not legally be marketed … in the United States without an approved new drug application.” The agency even threatened Diamond with “seizure” if it failed to comply.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?304717-Walnuts-Are-Drugs-Says-FDA

Anti Federalist
07-24-2011, 12:31 PM
See you asshole anti smoking nazis. This is the kind of shit your campaign has brought. You wanted to stop evil smokers like me. And you did. And now the left is using that as a basis for all kinds of other regulations. Goddamn idiots.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

That's worth a +rep!

NewRightLibertarian
07-24-2011, 12:31 PM

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

I'm not even a smoker, but these are my sentiments exactly. All the anti-tobacco garbage was successful at was wringing cash out of the pockets of a group of mostly lower income people

Anti Federalist
07-24-2011, 12:32 PM
That is an interesting storyline; but the reality is this:

Seen any walnuts in your medicine cabinet lately? According to the Food and Drug Administration, that is precisely where you should find them. Because Diamond Foods made truthful claims about the health benefits of consuming walnuts that the FDA didn’t approve, it sent the company a letter declaring, “Your walnut products are drugs” — and “new drugs” at that — and, therefore, “they may not legally be marketed … in the United States without an approved new drug application.” The agency even threatened Diamond with “seizure” if it failed to comply.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?304717-Walnuts-Are-Drugs-Says-FDA

Truth ^^^

Invi
07-24-2011, 12:48 PM
Diet soda would not be taxed. Lol.

Here! Eat healthier! (but poison yourself at the same time, please.)

Philhelm
07-24-2011, 12:57 PM
What's funny (funny as in sad) is that if the SHTF and he ended up with a bayonet in him, he probably still wouldn't understand that trying to force people to live a certain way is never a good idea.

BlackTerrel
07-24-2011, 02:06 PM

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

It's not overly complex. You have a society where 7 in 10 don't smoke and then someone says "hey who wants to tax cigarettes" and 7 out of 10 hands shoot up.

It's why direct democracy is not a good idea.

Dustancostine
07-24-2011, 02:07 PM

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Sorry but someone else's junk food does not contaminate my food.

flightlesskiwi
07-24-2011, 02:28 PM
What's funny (funny as in sad) is that if the SHTF and he ended up with a bayonet in him, he probably still wouldn't understand that trying to force people to live a certain way is never a good idea.

too true.
+rep

Slutter McGee
07-24-2011, 03:23 PM

You decided to take liberty away from people for your convenience. Because you are not willing to respect property rights, and vote with your wallet at another establishment, and then you get mad when people use your selfish motives and expand on it to take away your liberty.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Cowlesy
07-24-2011, 03:40 PM
Ah, the vaunted NY Times Food Columnist parting the clouds and decreeing to us plebians what is best for us.

God Bless America.

Southron
07-24-2011, 03:44 PM
Notice the appeal to authority in the word "experts ". Self government is impossible to these people because they believe certain men are better fit to rule others.

NewRightLibertarian
07-24-2011, 03:46 PM
Notice the appeal to authority in the word "experts ". Self government is impossible to these people because they believe certain men are better fit to rule others.

Yeah, it's the notion that they're fit to be the rulers while we sit around and take orders from them. In a freedom regime, they'd be totally irrelevant and that's why they'd do literally anything to protect the State

amy31416
07-24-2011, 04:11 PM
And Mark Bittman is very well-respected in culinary circles, so lots of people will mindlessly agree.

I hope they're really stupid and tax it so much that there's a black market for the crap, just like cigarettes in NYC.

georgiaboy
07-24-2011, 04:49 PM
isn't agribusiness already subsidized?

aren't cokes, cookies, poptarts, and fish sticks already more expensive than filtered tap water, a few servings of real meat, and some fresh fruit/veggies?

Echoes
07-24-2011, 05:13 PM

Sorry, but you have no authority over someone else's property. If an establishment wants to allow smoking, simply go elsewhere.

And i detest smoking.

Bordillo
07-24-2011, 07:11 PM
It's not overly complex. You have a society where 7 in 10 don't smoke and then someone says "hey who wants to tax cigarettes" and 7 out of 10 hands shoot up.

It's why direct democracy is not a good idea.

if that were true we would still have slavery