PDA

View Full Version : Can maxed donors begin again on January 1?

Sematary
11-01-2007, 05:58 AM
I was just curious.
Does your contribution total begin anew on January 1, 2008 or are you still bound to the 2300 you started with?

noxagol
11-01-2007, 06:01 AM
I was just curious.
Does your contribution total begin anew on January 1, 2008 or are you still bound to the 2300 you started with?

You can't donate again until he starts to collect for the general election fund.

Sematary
11-01-2007, 06:03 AM
You can't donate again until he starts to collect for the general election fund.

I thought it was $2300 PER YEAR per election cycle. That led me to believe that if you donated in 2007 then the clock began again in 2008. Is that not how it's worded?

Sematary
11-01-2007, 06:09 AM
found my answer:

The amount that an individual or political committee may contribute is subject to various limits. For example, an individual may not contribute more than $2,300 to any one candidate's campaign. This limit is calculated as "per election." Accordingly, an individual may contribute a maximum of $2,300 to a candidate's primary election campaign and another maximum of $2,300 to the same candidate's general election campaign. A husband and wife are treated as separate individuals and, therefore, collectively may donate twice the limit, or $4,600 per election.

In addition to limits on how much may be contributed to candidates (and other types of committees), individuals also are subject to an "aggregate" contribution limit. An individual may not donate more than $108,200 to all federal candidates and political committees during a two-year election cycle. (The limits are adjusted every two years according to the rise in inflation, which explains the unusual dollar amounts.)

PACs are subject to a limit of $5,000 per election for a candidate's campaign. The amount that can be contributed to political parties is also limited but is higher than the limit on PAC contributions to an individual candidate.

Accordingly, a candidate for president who aspires to raise, for example, $23 million — a relatively modest amount for a presidential campaign — must do so by attracting individual donors, who may not donate more than $2,300, and perhaps also PACs, which are limited to $5,000. In order to raise $23 million, such a candidate, at a minimum, would need 1,000 people to donate the maximum amount. More likely, the candidate will attempt to find several thousand contributors, most of whom will donate less than the legal maximum.

Bradley in DC
11-01-2007, 07:49 AM
I thought it was $2300 PER YEAR per election cycle. That led me to believe that if you donated in 2007 then the clock began again in 2008. Is that not how it's worded?

No. Max to general and max to primary.