PDA

View Full Version : Valley's rural areas will face fire fee - Fresno Bee

levon
07-23-2011, 11:51 PM
http://www.fresnobee.com/2011/07/23/2475515/valleys-rural-areas-will-face.html

AZKing
07-24-2011, 12:36 AM
Wow, that sucks. We had a fire blow through the area recently and the only thing that the authorities did for me was give me a headache. The Forestry Service shut off my private well for 3 days without notice (and turned it back on 2 days before the fire actually got to my house :confused:). When the fire finally blew through my property, they didn't even do anything. It burned right up to the edge of my house and stopped, largely because I spent the better part of 2 weeks doing fire mitigation.

I've heard of a lot of ineptness on the part of the Forestry Service regarding forest fires. I hadn't experienced one prior to a couple of weeks ago, but now I get it.

The best thing people can do for themselves in areas where wildfires occur often, is to cut down any trees close to the house and make sure that there is no fuels near the house (pine needles, leaves, wild grass patches) as well as installing a fire resistant deck/roof. If nothing else, wet down the roof and wooden deck if you have one.

If you don't, it's not uncommon for forest firefighters to "write off" buildings they don't think are defensible.