PDA

View Full Version : Oslo terror suspect has stopped talking, should he be waterboarded/enhanced interrogated?

moderate libertarian
07-23-2011, 11:35 PM
Arrested suspect for Oslo twin terror attacks that killed over 90 people has stopped talking according to latest news reports and is refusing to answer question if he acted alone. Would you support use of enhanced interrogation techniques/waterboarding to make Anders Breivik talk?

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/oslobomben/artikkel.php?artid=10080677

This would likely become a question for next US Presidential candisates debate, especially for those who support enhanced interrogation techniques. So far, pro-waterboarding candidates like Romney and others are silent on this but soon they will be asked.

Danke
07-23-2011, 11:36 PM
No evidence that waterboarding works.

moderate libertarian
07-23-2011, 11:39 PM

Tht doesn't mean Romney has not been setup for a very tough question for next debate.

I personally oppose torture.

Anti Federalist
07-23-2011, 11:42 PM
No, of course not.

squarepusher
07-24-2011, 12:07 AM
I heard, the maximum sentence in Norway is 21 years (for any crime)

TheViper
07-24-2011, 12:08 AM
Waterboarding is less effective than wakeboarding.

You'd get more valid information from the latter than the former. Though I don't advise either.

european
07-24-2011, 12:10 AM
no.

You´re asking if we should torture the guy.

Rothbardian Girl
07-24-2011, 12:24 AM
I don't care beyond a moral interest about what goes on in Norway, but, hypothetically speaking, I would never approve of torture.

JK/SEA
07-24-2011, 12:41 AM
Waterboarding is so...passe, boring...surely we can come up with something more romantic...i like keelhauling...he is Norwegian, and i think he would appreciate that.

Danke
07-24-2011, 12:48 AM
Waterboarding is so...passe, boring...surely we can come up with something more romantic...i like keelhauling...he is Norwegian, and i think he would appreciate that.

I like the way you think.

What about Blood eagle? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_eagle)

squarepusher
07-24-2011, 12:53 AM
go ahead and waterboard him. As long as your forces are restricted, the enemy will view it as a weakness

Matthew Zak
07-24-2011, 12:54 AM
What kind of information do we need from this guy? He admitted doing it. The end.

He "stopped talking"? And he "won't say there was another gunmen"? I call bullshit. If he wants to protext a second gunmen all he would have to do is verbally say "I acted alone." If he wants the other gunmen to be caught he would say, "Yes, there was another gunmen." What does silence mean? Nothing.

Freedom 4 all
07-24-2011, 02:08 AM
It doesn't seem like there is any reason to believe he was part of some kind of group, or that he even had an accomplice. What would be gained from torturing him?

Bordillo
07-24-2011, 03:29 AM
torturing someone will just get them to say what you want them to hear

give him a bunch of LSD, he will sing like a canary then

moderate libertarian
07-24-2011, 11:13 AM
It doesn't seem like there is any reason to believe he was part of some kind of group, or that he even had an accomplice. What would be gained from torturing him?

He may be, assuming that there is just one like him would be just an assumption.

* I came in contact with Serbian cultural conservatives through the internet. This initial contact would eventually result in my contact with several key individuals all over Europe and the forming of the group who would later establish the military order and tribunal ... Knights Templar."

I personally do not support enhanced interrogation torture. I wanted to see others views, I will be sending the question to debate team that is organizing next Presidential debate as some candidates do support these methods.

Agorism
07-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Funny thread

Romney loves waterboarding so what does he think?

amy31416
07-24-2011, 11:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcmr_Khv2E0

I gotta agree with Shep on this one...except that we do torture, and that is not a good thing. To the OP--if you're truly contemplating whether or not torture is a good method (even if it's just for this case), you need to recalibrate your conscience.

amyre
07-24-2011, 01:14 PM
[QUOTETo the OP--if you're truly contemplating whether or not torture is a good method (even if it's just for this case), you need to recalibrate your conscience.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree....I'm assuming/hoping this is a rhetorical question, but the answer in any event is no.

Revolution9
07-24-2011, 11:09 PM

Give me a bunch and I will kick everybody's ass in the room, escape through the air conditioning system and destroy the evil zionist dark lord with a blast from my egregorian detendrilator solfeggion driven gravity guitar. I would sing like Dean Martin whilst I was doing it.

Rev9

specsaregood
07-24-2011, 11:13 PM
They should just go straight for the balls. Start to cut em off, if he knows anything he'll tell ya before you are done.

Anti Federalist
07-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Give me a bunch and I will kick everybody's ass in the room, escape through the air conditioning system and destroy the evil zionist dark lord with a blast from my egregorian detendrilator solfeggion driven gravity guitar. I would sing like Dean Martin whilst I was doing it.

Rev9

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/laughing-calvin--26-hobbes-337864_504_313.gif

specsaregood
07-24-2011, 11:15 PM

I'm immune to the stuff, but YMMV.