PDA

View Full Version : Light Bulb Update 7/23/2011

truthspeaker
07-23-2011, 10:39 PM
http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/07/12/3217485/light-bulb-bill-fails-in-house.html

Best part of the article:

"California has already implemented the new standards. Democratic leaders of the California state Senate sent a letter to the state's congressional delegation, contending that the bill would invalidate the state's new light bulb standards and urging the bill's defeat.

But Texas recently enacted legislation seeking to get around the federal law by declaring that incandescent bulbs -- if made and sold only in Texas -- do not involve interstate commerce and are not subject to federal regulation, and a number of other states are considering following suit."

Here is an article from LA Times if ya'll want to know more about Texas' decision. I was actually thinking about that too: Who manufactures incandescent light bulbs in Texas?

<<"And for all the hoopla over the Texas law, there is virtually no chance in the near future that residents of Lone Star State will be able to buy a state-made incandescent," said David Power, deputy director of the Public Citizen office in Texas.

"We don't mine tungsten in Texas," Power said. "So there is no place where they can get a Texas-made filament" for bulbs.">>

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul/09/nation/la-na-adv-texas-light-bulbs-20110710

Dr.3D
07-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Snip~
Power said. "So there is no place where they can get a Texas-made filament" for bulbs.">>

So what is to keep them from shipping in the necessary supplies to make filaments?

Sounds to me like he believes shipping tungsten is an issue.

Let's see.....

By his logic, There isn't enough iron mining in Michigan to build cars, thus Detroit can't build cars.
(humm.... nevermind... maybe he has something there)

Anti Federalist
07-23-2011, 11:27 PM
So what is to keep them from shipping in the necessary supplies to make filaments?

Sounds to me like he believes shipping tungsten is an issue.

Let's see.....

By his logic, There isn't enough iron mining in Michigan to build cars, thus Detroit can't build cars.
(humm.... nevermind... maybe he has something there)

In trying to get around interstate commerce and the feds, even the raw materials have to be within the state.

Dr.3D
07-23-2011, 11:32 PM
In trying to get around interstate commerce and the feds, even the raw materials have to be within the state.

So if that is the case, does every state produce enough steel to manufacture their own firearms? If not, they have no teeth in saying they can build their own and be exempt from the federal firearms laws.

Anti Federalist
07-23-2011, 11:38 PM
So if that is the case, does every state produce enough steel to manufacture their own firearms? If not, they have no teeth in saying they can build their own and be exempt from the federal firearms laws.

You would think so, but I saw that addressed somewhere, some loophole to get around that.

I'm sure the same thing would apply to incandescents as well.

Of course, not from the feds pov however, regardless of where you got the raw materials they reject the "in state" argument completely and, to them, retain complete and total regulatory powers over, well, pretty much everything.