PDA

View Full Version : Obama's new unconstitutional Super Congress

LatinsforPaul
07-23-2011, 09:15 PM
'Super Congress': Debt Ceiling Negotiators Aim To Create New Legislative Body (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/23/super-congress-debt-ceiling_n_907887.html)

This "Super Congress," composed of members of both chambers and both parties, isn't mentioned anywhere in the Constitution, but would be granted extraordinary new powers. Under a plan put forth by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and his counterpart Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), legislation to lift the debt ceiling would be accompanied by the creation of a 12-member panel made up of 12 lawmakers -- six from each chamber and six from each party.

Legislation approved by the Super Congress -- which some on Capitol Hill are calling the "super committee" -- would then be fast-tracked through both chambers, where it couldn't be amended by simple, regular lawmakers, who'd have the ability only to cast an up or down vote. With the weight of both leaderships behind it, a product originated by the Super Congress would have a strong chance of moving through the little Congress and quickly becoming law. A Super Congress would be less accountable than the system that exists today, and would find it easier to strip the public of popular benefits. Negotiators are currently considering cutting the mortgage deduction and tax credits for retirement savings, for instance, extremely popular policies that would be difficult to slice up using the traditional legislative process.

Aratus
07-23-2011, 09:22 PM
talk is kelley paul in 2014 could run for the KY
senate seat mr. mcconnell is now sitting on?
rand + kelley might be a team in d.c totally!

DamianTV
07-23-2011, 09:28 PM
I swear they are doing everything they can to fuck up the entire system so by the time Ron Paul gets into office, there will be nothing left!

sevin
07-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Well fuck that.

aGameOfThrones
07-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Sic semper tyrannis

PermanentSleep
07-23-2011, 11:53 PM
Sic semper tyrannis

^that

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
07-23-2011, 11:56 PM
The answer to 1984 is 1776.............. We can call Congress all we want. They will not care one f'n bit. We can show up and protest and they will not care. We can express our outrage from coast to coast and they will not care.

V3n
07-23-2011, 11:59 PM
So this is what all those meetings were really about.

House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) has made a Super Congress a central part of his last-minute proposal, multiple news reports and people familiar with his plan say.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_X3lNYc1hcaE/TGsIJJpY3NI/AAAAAAAAAxU/_eQ28v8s8_U/s200/232980-jar_jar_binks_large.jpeg

sailingaway
07-24-2011, 12:43 AM
We have another thread on this in Ron Paul Grassroots Central, but if I merge them now, someone will just start another.

We need push back, obviously, for starters.

headhawg7
07-24-2011, 01:01 AM
This is madness.

Rael
07-24-2011, 02:10 AM
This isn't as big as deal as it is made out to be. It's not really a "Super Congress" it's just a way of bypassing committees. Any bills still have to be passed by a majority of the entire body.

I actually would like to see more up or down votes. It should not be up to a few people on a committee or a majority leader to single handedly kill legislation. It's like when we had a majority of votes and still could not get the audit the Fed legislation to the floor. That shit is ridiculous. I'm not saying I'm in favor of this plan but I would like to see more bills make it to the floor for an up or down vote. This also forces politicians to take a stand on issues instead of hiding behind committe members from safe districts who kill good legislation.

hillbilly123069
07-24-2011, 02:56 AM
A quote from Reid's website. The article is leading that they will do whatever they have to if the radical Tea Party continues to hinder the efforts of tyrannical government.
*“And my Republican counterpart here in the Senate, the senior Senator from Kentucky, said he would support raising the debt limit as long as Congress used the opportunity to do ‘something really important’ about the national deficit."*
http://reid.senate.gov/newsroom/pr_072111_compromise.cfm

aGameOfThrones
07-24-2011, 03:35 AM
The Dictator (2011 film)

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BNTE0NjM1OTc1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTMwMzU1NQ@@._ V1._SY317_CR11,0,214,317_.jpg

"Tells the heroic story of a dictator who risked his life to ensure that democracy would never come to the country he so lovingly oppressed".

Cast

* Harry Reid
* Barack Obama
* Mitch McConnell
* John Boehner

Brooklyn Red Leg
07-24-2011, 03:54 AM
Why the fuck is it people like us seem to be the only ones that saw this shit coming a mile off?

A Son of Liberty
07-24-2011, 04:02 AM
Why is anyone surprised by this? The vast majority of actions taken by FedGov are illegal, unconstitutional, etc. What's one more?

cindy25
07-24-2011, 04:28 AM
not Obama's supercongress; more like Establishment Dems and Reps super-congress; no chance of a Paul, Lee, Kuchinich or wyden. no chance of closing bases in Korea or ending aid to Israel, no chance of closing Amtrak or DEA.

Travlyr
07-24-2011, 04:44 AM
What authority do they have if they are not a constitutional organization? The media? The military? The printing press? How is any of that a legitimate? It's not. The mafia is in charge, and somehow someway they must be stopped. It is time to stop blaming the constitution and start forcing them to live up to their sworn oaths of office.

Rael
07-24-2011, 05:40 AM
Why is anyone surprised by this? The vast majority of actions taken by FedGov are illegal, unconstitutional, etc. What's one more?

It's not unconstitutional.

Article 1 Section 5

"Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behaviour, and, with the Concurrence of two thirds, expel a Member."

JK/SEA
07-24-2011, 06:59 AM
It's not unconstitutional.

Article 1 Section 5

"Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behaviour, and, with the Concurrence of two thirds, expel a Member."

Looks like this applies to ethics and personal conduct of members....no?

cindy25
07-24-2011, 07:23 AM
they have a similar thing for closing military bases, and for trade agreements.

that said, just dump McConnell and possibly Boehner ; problem solved

limequat
07-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Committee proposes legislation, entire house votes up/down. I don't see the problem. There should be more votes like this.

sailingaway
07-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Committee proposes legislation, entire house votes up/down. I don't see the problem. There should be more votes like this.

The committees are the well connected. Some people's representatives are not supposed to be more powerful than others to the point where representatives can't even draft legislation and amend it. And the worst sorts of representatives would be the ones on the committees. But regardless of that, it undermines transparency and representative government. Massively.

sailingaway
07-24-2011, 09:42 AM
This isn't as big as deal as it is made out to be. It's not really a "Super Congress" it's just a way of bypassing committees. Any bills still have to be passed by a majority of the entire body.

I actually would like to see more up or down votes. It should not be up to a few people on a committee or a majority leader to single handedly kill legislation. It's like when we had a majority of votes and still could not get the audit the Fed legislation to the floor. That shit is ridiculous. I'm not saying I'm in favor of this plan but I would like to see more bills make it to the floor for an up or down vote. This also forces politicians to take a stand on issues instead of hiding behind committe members from safe districts who kill good legislation.

So the entire body is drafted behind closed doors by party leadership and special interests, and those who don't play games enough to be allowed in the room can't even improve the bills in the light of day? What use open congressional meeting if all debate and action is precluded there?

sailingaway
07-24-2011, 09:45 AM
they have a similar thing for closing military bases, and for trade agreements.

that said, just dump McConnell and possibly Boehner ; problem solved

And MANY have said the trade agreement fast track is unconstitutional, but it happened in times of plenty when people weren't paying attention. Given all the terrible things Congress has done contrary to the Constitution, justifying something merely by saying Congress has done it before is the weakest argument I can think of. No offense.

braane
07-24-2011, 10:29 AM
This seems like it was played out. "We couldn't come to an agreement for months... so clearly the only solution is to give the two party system more power and the worst members of Congress a place to pass any legislation they want". Now they can feed it to Americans as something necessary to pass legislation when "important" issues like raising the debt ceiling and pushing us further into economical decline arise.

pacelli
07-24-2011, 10:32 AM
The answer to 1984 is 1776.............. We can call Congress all we want. They will not care one f'n bit.

Quite true. Watch this speech that occurred when they passed the bailout that nobody wanted. To them, we're stupid fucking mundanes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oPMbZADRa0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9P2ESTpzsc

braane
07-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Quite true. Watch this speech that occurred when they passed the bailout that nobody wanted. To them, we're stupid fucking mundanes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oPMbZADRa0

It's so sad that Congress and the White House won't listen to us, too. The President comes out and says "We're professional politicians" and essentially that the people aren't fit to make decisions for the country. The fact of the matter is, though, that it is Obama's job to represent us. We elected him to express our views. When 75% of the US population is against raising the debt ceiling he shouldn't be trying to raise it. He especially shouldn't be telling us we are too stupid to know what's best for the country for sure.

pacelli
07-24-2011, 10:44 AM
It's so sad that Congress and the White House won't listen to us, too. The President comes out and says "We're professional politicians" and essentially that the people aren't fit to make decisions for the country. The fact of the matter is, though, that it is Obama's job to represent us. We elected him to express our views. When 75% of the US population is against raising the debt ceiling he shouldn't be trying to raise it. He especially shouldn't be telling us we are too stupid to know what's best for the country for sure.

I agree, but what recourse do WE THE PEOPLE have? Calling our "representatives" generally has no effect. Electing new representatives generally has no effect. These people are criminals for violating the oath of office that they voluntarily took.

What in the fuck has happened to this country? The founders would be ashamed. This Super Committee bullshit really takes the cake.

Sam I am
07-24-2011, 11:13 AM
This is the same thing we've had for the last 50 or so years. The party leadership decides what they want their party to vote for, and the pressure the rest of congress to vote on party lines. The only difference this time, is that you're paying more attention to it.

Knightskye
07-24-2011, 01:33 PM
Sic semper tyrannis

^-

virginian8v
07-25-2011, 09:24 PM
There's a petition to quash the "Super Congress" plan. If you oppose this plan, please sign and share: http://www.change.org/petitions/tell-congress-and-the-president-to-reject-the-idea-of-a-dangerous-undemocratic-super-congress-now

Pauls' Revere
08-12-2011, 08:00 AM
SPECIAL INTEREST GAVE MILLIONS TO MEMBERS OF SUPER CONGRESS:

WASHINGTON (AP) — The 12 lawmakers appointed to a new congressional supercommittee charged with tackling the nation's fiscal problems have received millions in contributions from special interests with a direct stake in potential cuts to federal programs, an Associated Press analysis of federal campaign data has found.

The newly appointed members — six Democrats and six Republicans — have received more than $3 million total during the past five years in donations from political committees with ties to defense contractors, health care providers and labor unions. That money went to their re-election campaigns, according to AP's review.

http://news.yahoo.com/special-interests-gave-millions-budget-panel-203543930.html

Dont worry these people have your interest at heart.