PDA

View Full Version : E-mail from Kane (Glenn Jacobs)

Napoleon's Shadow
07-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Apparently this is making the rounds...

You ought to read the backstory first from Glenn's blog: http://adventuresofcitizenx.com/2010/07/26/fred-childress-libertarian-hero-and-friend.aspx

Dear TLA supporter,

Tomorrow, July 24, marks one year since the death of Tennessee Liberty Alliance president Fred Childress. For many of us, Fred’s passing created a hole in our lives. For the liberty movement in Tennessee, the impact of losing someone like Fred cannot be overstated. The TLA itself faced significant challenges: could the organization carry on without its driving force and what exactly was the TLA’s mission anyway. In other words, would the TLA be the legacy Fred would have wanted?

Over the past year, the TLA has solidified itself as an educational organization. The highlight of the year thus far was February’s Economics in One Day seminar which was held in Fred’s honor and attended by 160 (mostly young) people. TLA members continue to cultivate relationships with various community and political groups as well as the media.

It is an exciting time to be a libertarian. All around the world, from the debt crises in Europe and America to the outrageous in-your-face infringements on our civil liberties here at home to the perpetual and expanding wars abroad that have nothing to do with national defense but everything to do with the political expediency and profits for the merchants of death, the toxic fruit of Big Government has finally ripened and is apparent for all to see. Despite the fact that we libertarians have seen all this coming and have warned our friends and neighbors about the dangers of Big Government, our task is not to say “we told you so,” but to show that there is another way, a path that leads to peace and prosperity.

We would all do well to emulate Fred’s example. Fred’s philosophy of libertarianism was clear, compassionate, and beautiful. It was based on the Golden Rule: we should respect our neighbor’s choices even when we don’t agree with those choices. Fred was passionate yet understanding. He sought common ground and consensus, but never compromised his principles. He was a cheerful warrior who had the unique ability to make personal friends out of political adversaries.

It can be frustrating to be an evangelist for liberty. It is very difficult for folks to think about their world in a way different than that in which they have been taught. After all, it’s not like we are asking them to try a different brand of soft drink. Unfortunately, since most folks no longer distinguish the State from civil society, we are, in their minds, asking them to question the fabric of society itself. Just like Morpheus in the movie The Matrix, we are offering them the red pill. This pill is not easy to swallow.

Nevertheless, it is my firm conviction that we offer the truth. One can deny it and ignore it, but in the end, the truth remains and will impose itself on whatever paradigm humans have constructed in their own minds. The current political and economic situation is manifest evidence of this fact. Big Government does not work. It can delay the inevitable for a long time, but ultimately, it will collapse.

It is my hope that our future will be bright. This can only occur if humanity embraces the ideas of liberty. Skeptics say that this is not highly likely, that people are too apathetic or stupid or ignorant or self-absorbed for a concept like liberty to take hold. I believe that the skeptics are wrong. It is a simple matter of economic incentives. The current system rewards need and dependency while punishing ability and productivity. The result is ever more need and dependency, and ever diminishing competency and productivity. Of course, this situation is untenable in the long run. And the long run is here.

Ultimately, we must convince a critical mass of people that There Ain’t No Such Thing As A Free Lunch--you may think that you are a beneficiary of the State, but, in fact, you are being enslaved right along with nearly everyone else. This is no small task, but while our individual efforts may seem trivial, the aggregate efforts of thousands upon thousands of liberty activists are having an impact, even if we can’t readily see it. We are chipping away at the walls which imprison humanity, and sooner or later those walls will fall. For this reason, we must never give up. We never know what impact our efforts may have. We only know that if we don’t try, we will fail.

I miss my friend Fred greatly. I miss his guidance, his humor, his intellect, and his drive. Most of all, I wish Fred were here to share the historic time which is approaching.

Liberty will prevail. But only if we continue the work that people like Fred Childress started.

For Liberty,
Glenn Jacobs

RileyE104
07-23-2011, 04:57 PM
It's awesome to me knowing that Kane was my favorite wrestler growing up and then learning later in life that he also happens to be libertarian too... :)