PDA

View Full Version : Some Irony in the way we fund Ron Paul's campaign

Matthew Zak
07-23-2011, 10:50 AM
After giving it some thought, I don't understand why we put so much effort into promoting money bombs, or encouraging eachother to donate as much as possible. I know that's an odd statement to make, but hear me out.

Let's look at this compared to the debate over tax revenue. Liberals want higher taxes. We don't! Because we understand that the higher number of private sector people there are the more revenue there will be.

If we really believe in our argument about tax revenue, why aren't we putting all of our effort into creating more donors, rather than promoting money bombs, or maxing out ourselves?

I've reached a point where I no longer feel obligated to donate... my obligation has shifted to being much more of an activist which I know will generate more donations to his campaign in the long run.

CaptUSA
07-23-2011, 11:07 AM
I think I get what you're saying, but what's wrong with doing both? We need to expand the base of support, but we also need to make sure that that expanding base also donates money.

I think the real irony in this election cycle is that, because of the poor economy, individuals have less disposable income to donate to the causes they feel are important. At the same time, corporations are experiencing bigger profit margins, which means they'll have more to donate to the politicians that do their bidding.

If we don't counteract this, we're going to be in rough shape.

RileyE104
07-23-2011, 11:25 AM
I agree with CaptUSA.. We should be acting on both of the options you listed.

JamesButabi
07-23-2011, 12:13 PM
You are on the right track, but early donations are key and a presidential campaign tends to wake up people in droves that other avenues simply do that. Doing both is probably the best, but do what you are comfortable with. Barious libertarian ideas and projects greatly benefitted indirectly from the 2008 campaign. I suspect this will be the case after 2012 as well.

gerryb
07-23-2011, 04:39 PM
To become a trained activist, I encourage you to take some classes from the Leadership Institute http://www.leadershipinstitute.org/training/

Also, the training videos Campaign for Liberty have available for their members and/or coordinators is excellent.