PDA

View Full Version : Met some Marines last night... they tried to sell me on Ron Paul :)

Gumba of Liberty
07-23-2011, 09:07 AM
I was at a party last night where I met some a few Marines. I was talking to this one guy out on the balcony and I just wanted to get his perspective on everything because I am going to be teaching U.S. History and Economics in the fall. I told him how much I valued the troops perspective and how I think supporting the troops means taking good care of them and not putting them in harms way without an objective and a serious threat to national security. The marine goes,

"Yeah that why you gotta vote for Ron Paul. He's the only one that has a clue about what the Marine Corp is all about."

I hadn't mentioned Ron so this blew me away. I've never had someone else, especially a Marine, try to sell me on Ron Paul. After a few minutes of telling him how much of a fan I was he ran inside to get his other buddy how was an even bigger Ron Paul fan than him. He comes out and gives me a big bear huge and says,

"Whoo!!! Ron Paul baby!! Vote for freedom and the Constitution!!"

We started talking about the Revolution: A Manifesto and how we need to get more people to read it. He was telling me everything I already knew, that freedom is one thing and you cannot divide it up. That Ron Paul is for freedom and the real American way. I asked him how the troops like Ron, he said that they love him and he is really beginning to influence a lot of them. They started giving me and my friends some free beers because "We need more good Americans like you guys spreading the message of freedom."

It was a great night because my friends, who listen to my political rants but always relegated them to what they coined "Jeffonomics" or "American History Jeff" realize that the Marines felt the same way I did about the war. They were stunned but came away from the night saying "That was the greatest conversation we ever had." It was years of vindication all rapped into one night.

My one friends expressed it right as we were leaving when he said "Alright I guess that's straight from the horse's mouth, if he's good enough for Marines he is good enough for me, we gotta get this guy President." :D

IndianaPolitico
07-23-2011, 09:09 AM
I was at a party last night where I met some a few Marines. I was talking to this one guy out on the balcony and I just wanted to get his perspective on everything because I am going to be teaching U.S. History and Economics in the fall. I told him how much I valued the troops perspective and how I think supporting the troops means taking good care of them and not putting them in harms way without an objective and a serious threat to national security. The marine goes,

"Yeah that why you gotta vote for Ron Paul. He's the only one that has a clue about what the Marine Corp is all about."

I hadn't mentioned Ron so this blew me away. I've never had someone else, especially a Marine, try to sell me on Ron Paul. After a few minutes of telling him how much of a fan I was he ran inside to get his other buddy how was an even bigger Ron Paul fan than him. He comes out and gives me a big bear huge and says,

We started talking about the Revolution: A Manifesto and how we need to get more people to read it. He was telling me everything I already knew, that freedom is one thing and you cannot divide it up. That Ron Paul is for freedom and the real American way. I asked him how the troops like Ron, he said that they love him and he is really beginning to influence a lot of them. They started giving me and my friends some free beers because "We need more good Americans like you guys spreading the message of freedom."

It was a great night because my friends, who listen to my political rants but always relegated them to what they coined "Jeffonomics" or "American History Jeff" realize that the Marines felt the same way I did about the war. They were stunned but came away from the night saying "That was the greatest conversation we ever had." It was years of vindication all rapped into one night.

My one friends expressed it right as we were leaving when he said "Alright I guess that's straight from the horse's mouth, if he's good enough for Marines he is good enough for me, we gotta get this guy President." :D

Wow, amazing story! The R3VOLUTION continues!

CaseyJones
07-23-2011, 09:16 AM
awesome mua ha ha ha [fixed the typo in the title btw :P ]

matt0611
07-23-2011, 09:26 AM
"He's catchin on, I'm tellin ya"

Acala
07-23-2011, 10:14 AM
Hahahaha! What a great story! Ultimately, if things get really ugly, I am counting on the US armed forces to stand for freedom. They are the only force on earth that could stop a Liberty revolution.

But . . . what you should have done is pretended to take the side of tyranny and statism for a little while and then say "JK I love Ron Paul!"

Nate-ForLiberty
07-23-2011, 10:18 AM
that gave me chills :)

great happenings going on!

sparebulb
07-23-2011, 10:21 AM
U-tube, or it didn't happen.

I'm a first time user of that phrase.

Koz
07-23-2011, 10:50 AM
if he's good enough for Marines he is good enough for me

This needs to be our battle cry.

Matthew Zak
07-23-2011, 10:56 AM
That story gave me chills.

See how effective word of mouth is? Right there *bam* new supporters. We got to get the hell off the internet and go do these things.

Echoes
07-23-2011, 10:57 AM
It's amazing how the military prefers RP over other candidates, this is a good tool to have in our arsenal. You know they're gonna try to pull the same isolationist crap as last time.

Anti Federalist
07-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Hoo Rah!

Great post +rep.

Koz
07-23-2011, 11:05 AM
i just sent this as an email to about 30 people. This is a great story.

BlackTerrel
07-23-2011, 11:09 AM
wow. That is an awesome story OP!

klamath
07-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Dang and they didn't even try and round you up and put you in a FEMA camp.

Tiger35
07-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Sent this to my marine buddies.

scrosnoe
07-23-2011, 12:04 PM
wonderful story and think you should recreate the conversation and video it -- have some fun with it and get it out there for us!

thank you for sharing it here~

Pericles
07-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Dang and they didn't even try and round you up and put you in a FEMA camp.
Or declare martial law, or take your guns, or ...........

HarryBrowneLives
07-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Semper F%$#ing Fi!:D

scrosnoe
07-23-2011, 12:51 PM
http://www.facebook.com/notes/sandra-crosnoe/marines-want-ron-paul-for-commander-in-chief/10150263901170999

A. Havnes
07-23-2011, 12:55 PM
That is one awesome story! My faith in our troops has re-emerged.

Vessol
07-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Awesome story OP. I've yet to have someone bring up Ron Paul or any real liberty issues to me in person. I say 'real' because I don't consider the following to be liberty issues: Fair Tax, Support for Isreal, Bombing Iran, Bombing Pakistan, Bombing Iran, Support for Israel, Donald Trump, Bombing Iran.

GunnyFreedom
07-23-2011, 01:35 PM
OORAH! Yeah, that sounds like Marines. Maybe not generic 'troops' but that does sound like Marines. Most (certainly not all!) Marines are kinda nutty about the Constitution. We didn't swear an oath to defend some REMF brass fatass but the CONSTITUTION, dammit. we'll leave to brass fatasses to one f the other branches lol. ;)

Seriously though, I fully believe that of the 5 branches, the Marines are the very most fertile ground for the Constitutionalist message, and not merely because I am a Marine. Marines tend to be more ideology driven than the others in my experience, and ideologically, he Marines are the only Constitutionally permitted "standing" ground-capable military force. They are 'special' in many ways, and should not be mistaken for a "little version of the Army." They are decidedly NOT.

squarepusher
07-23-2011, 01:41 PM
wow, this is powerful

Gumba of Liberty
07-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Yeah it was great. It really made my night. I really don't think I could recreate what happened because the beauty of it was watching a Marine and teacher realize that they are both on the same page about Liberty. They are stationed at Lynchburg, VA, 10 minutes from where I am teaching High School. Might have to have them come in and talk to the students about what the military is really all about.

Theocrat
07-23-2011, 02:16 PM

That is a great story, but it doesn't surprise me that Marines love Ron Paul, seeing as how he received the largest contributions from military members (http://thecaseforronpaul.wordpress.com/2011/07/17/ron-paul-leads-in-military-donations-2011-q2-to-republican-candidates/) than any other candidate in 2nd Quarter fundraising. :)

romacox
07-23-2011, 02:20 PM
Awesome story, thanks for sharing it. Is it possible to give some of our troops this website so they can post their thoughts and experiences? More of their words need to get out to the American people because the news sure isn't reporting it.

scrosnoe
07-23-2011, 02:26 PM
https://plus.google.com/111418590440564781827/posts

top post at present

highly recommend 'sparks' to pick up all things Ron Paul on Google+

Working Poor
07-23-2011, 02:43 PM
That is an awesome story. I hope the military who supports Ron tells their families about him too.

A Son of Liberty
07-23-2011, 02:47 PM
*chills*

Great story... and man am I jealous! I can't wait for that moment when someone comes to ME and tries to pimp RP. I'm tired of being the only evangelical I know in real life! :)

KingRobbStark
07-23-2011, 03:00 PM
I've said this before, and I'm going to say this again. Military folks are the ones who are the most susceptible to the ideas of liberty.

andrew1229649
07-23-2011, 03:04 PM
I had a very similar experience a few weeks back. A few of my friends that have been serving over seas brought up Ron Paul to me. They had no idea I am a Ron Paul supporter and they brought him up. I was so happy when I heard his name come from their mouths! They were like, "We have got to get Ron Paul in the White House.... I am over there and I don't even know why, it is ridiculous.

malkusm
07-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Yeah it was great. It really made my night. I really don't think I could recreate what happened because the beauty of it was watching a Marine and teacher realize that they are both on the same page about Liberty. They are stationed at Lynchburg, VA, 10 minutes from where I am teaching High School. Might have to have them come in and talk to the students about what the military is really all about.

Whoa! I lived in Lynchburg until last June. That is truly awesome. I know that the Tea Parties down there are very favorable towards Ron (and maybe the majority support him over all other candidates).

wgadget
07-23-2011, 06:27 PM

What a great new campaign slogan...for both Ron Paul AND the Marines. :D

hotbrownsauce
07-23-2011, 06:31 PM
Pure awesome!

FreedomProsperityPeace
07-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Great story! I hope it becomes a very common occurrence over the next few months!

libertybrewcity
07-23-2011, 07:01 PM
if only they were ALL home! Thanks for your story +rep for awesomeness.

IRONCLAD
07-23-2011, 07:50 PM
I'm a soldier and I support Ron Paul since Aug. 2007.

amyre
07-23-2011, 08:08 PM
That's very encouraging....thanks for sharing!

parke
07-23-2011, 08:53 PM
I work outside two bases.. alot of troops support Ron.

XTreat
07-23-2011, 10:55 PM
active army here. I have been crazy for Dr. Paul and the cause ever since I read the revolution about in late 2008.

realtonygoodwin
07-24-2011, 12:57 AM
I'm in the Air Force, and the majority of voters that I work with are Ron Paul supporters.

shenlu54
07-24-2011, 03:57 AM
This cozy story has been translated into Chinese ,see this link: http://dongxi.net/b0937

I hope the author's name—Jeff—is correct.

JoshLowry
07-24-2011, 08:52 AM
This thread is picking up some steam at reddit. Some good comments over there.

Please sign up for reddit and use it! Submit good content!

http://www.reddit.com/r/Libertarian/comments/iy1s9/met_some_marines_last_night_they_tried_to_sell_me/

torchbearer
07-24-2011, 10:05 AM
This cozy story has been translated into Chinese ,see this link: http://dongxi.net/b0937

I hope the author's name—Jeff—is correct.

that is cool!

Tinnuhana
07-24-2011, 01:40 PM
That would be a good banner for the next anti-base protest: "Vote Ron Paul and Go Home"

Luciconsort
07-24-2011, 06:12 PM
that's awesome. Freedom is popular, except on tv.

Uriel999
07-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Yut!!!!

Uriel999
07-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Btw for those that don't know I'm active duty USMC and a grunt

Gumba of Liberty
07-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Btw for those that don't know I'm active duty USMC and a grunt that is awesome

sunny
07-25-2011, 08:02 AM
Your story is terrific and reminded me of what happened here at a festival that I went to a few weeks back.

There were some national guard guys playing in their band. When they took a break one of them saw my "Ron Paul 2012" button and gave me a big smile and a big thumbs up. I was ecstatic. We started talking and he was telling me all kinds of stuff about Ron and lots of other stuff too.

It was such a thrill to hear someone in the reserves speak like that. :)

Chester Copperpot
07-25-2011, 08:04 AM
thats Awesome!!

Paul Or Nothing II
07-25-2011, 08:08 AM

FANTASTIC STORY, Especially the bold part :)

This is what we need, we need to get this out somehow & get it out there among mainstream Republicans that troops, marines support Ron Paul & he, by far, gets the most money from them, it just doesn't seem to stick out there, we ought to do something for it to stick, that'll get Ron a lot of support among mainsteam Republicans who're always about "supporting the troops".

radiofriendly
07-25-2011, 08:48 AM
This should be made into an ad. Probably just an online video ad. Just reading it with still photos (of the party (keep it decent) - dramatized). We could make this a competition?

Gumba of Liberty
07-25-2011, 09:47 AM
When I meet up with the Marines in Lynchburg I can take a picture with them if that works.

georgiaboy
07-25-2011, 11:03 AM
so great.

yadranko
07-25-2011, 12:09 PM
Fantastic post!

GunnyFreedom
07-25-2011, 08:32 PM
This should be made into an ad. Probably just an online video ad. Just reading it with still photos (of the party (keep it decent) - dramatized). We could make this a competition?

The UCMJ would frown pretty heavily on active duty service-members being involved in a political campaign

Kylie
07-25-2011, 09:20 PM
The UCMJ would frown pretty heavily on active duty service-members being involved in a political campaign

You're right, but a "dramatization".......:D

Great post, Jeff.

Mine in the military are there too. It's nice to know that those guys feel the way we do.

pacodever
07-26-2011, 08:55 PM
Great story and one that is taking place more and more. I am an active duty officer in the Navy resigning my Commission next June for several reasons. One reason is that I, like many active duty military, are finding it harder and harder to bridge the gap between supporting and defending the Constitution and our war-mongering foreign policy. We want a LEADER who knows the cost and dangers of war and will not waste our blood, effort, or wealth on adventurism. As a officer, imagine the dilemma I had explaining to my division of sailors what our mission was and the justification for it when I often could not justify it to myself.

There are different reasons for serving, but the most important to many of us is supporting and defending the Constitution. Ron Paul is the obvious choice as the Champion of the Constitution and liberty. What better demographic than a corps of men and women willing to die to defend these? For those willing or eager for his message of liberty, sometimes they just need a little nudge or someone to shed some light on the disparity between their service to the Constitution and how the Armed Forces are, in fact, being used.

3 active duty, 1 Veteran in my family and 3 out of 4 converted so far.

tremendoustie
07-26-2011, 09:03 PM
Great story and one that is taking place more and more. I am a active duty officer resigning my Commission next June for several reasons. One reason is that I, like many active duty military, are finding it harder and harder to bridge the gap between supporting and defending the Constitution and our war-mongering foreign policy. We want a LEADER who knows the cost and dangers of war and will not waste our blood, effort, or wealth on adventurism. As a officer, imagine the dilemma I had explaining to my division of sailors what our mission was and the justification for it when I often could not justify it to myself.

There are different reasons for serving, but the most important to many of us is supporting and defending the Constitution. Ron Paul is the obvious choice as the Champion of the Constitution and liberty. What better demographic than a corps of men and women willing to die to defend these? For those willing or eager for his message of liberty, sometimes they just need a little nudge or someone to shed some light on the disparity between their service to the Constitution and how the Armed Forces are, in fact, being used.

3 active duty, 1 Veteran in my family and 3 out of 4 converted so far.

Thank you for your moral courage. That word is thrown around a lot these days, as is honor, etc, but the real thing is rare.

Many can blindly follow orders, but very few can live their lives as a stand for what's right, even if it's not what's popular or easy.

Texan4Life
07-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Awesome story OP. I've yet to have someone bring up Ron Paul or any real liberty issues to me in person. I say 'real' because I don't consider the following to be liberty issues: Fair Tax, Support for Isreal, Bombing Iran, Bombing Pakistan, Bombing Iran, Support for Israel, Donald Trump, Bombing Iran.

+1

awesome story

V3n
08-12-2011, 07:32 PM
I just wanted to share my Ron Paul moment today, not a biggie, didn't want to start a new thread and remembered this one..

..So I was going to a local festival, nothing huge, not in Iowa or anything.. anyway I put on my Ron Paul campaign t-shirt and headed out the door. So I'm there walking around and had FOUR (4!) different people tell me "Nice shirt!" "Like the shirt!" or something to that effect! One guy just walking by said "Ron Paul, yes!" and threw his fist in the air!

Name recognition is WAY UP this cycle guys! I wore an RP shirt often four years ago, and can only recall 2 such encounters - this is the first time I've worn one this cycle, and had 4 different people give it the ol' thumbs up!

Here is a dramatic re-enactment of the "Ron Paul, yes!" guy:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgqri3Innw1qb7ikeo1_500.gif

Theocrat
08-12-2011, 07:37 PM
The interesting thing is I've noticed that all of the Organizers in my local Meetup group are either active military or veteran. It seems military members, in general, try to sell Ron Paul to people. [lol] How's that for a candidate who speaks against militarism, yet has most of the military excited to spread his message to the world?

GunnyFreedom
08-12-2011, 08:10 PM
The interesting thing is I've noticed that all of the Organizers in my local Meetup group are either active military or veteran. It seems military members, in general, try to sell Ron Paul to people. [lol] How's that for a candidate who speaks against militarism, yet has most of the military excited to spread his message to the world?

It's no surprise to me, but then I served in the Marines. As pacodever said above, one of the primary motivations for joining the military is to "uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic." I know that was my ENTIRE motivation for joining the Marines.

Now, especially, when all this foreign adventurism and militarism flies directly in the face of the Constitution, it is easier than ever for service members to see what is needed to save our country -- a return to the strict construction of the US Constitution. There has only been one Presidential candidate since Robert A Taft (1940, 1948, 1952) to endorse such a thing: Ron Paul.

To me, the active duty support for Ron Paul is natural, and no surprise at all. It is when members of the military support people like McCain or Romney that I am truly surprised.

hillertexas
11-03-2011, 09:13 AM
bump for a great story

Carole
11-03-2011, 12:44 PM
LOL

Great story. We really need to have military out there doing our "recruiting". :D

Todd
11-03-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm a soldier and I support Ron Paul since Aug. 2007.

Me too and I approve this comment.