PDA

View Full Version : FAA shut drop, travel tax ends

cindy25
07-22-2011, 10:52 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/22/congress-forces-partial-shutdown-faa_n_907455.html

and no planes crashed!!!

libertybrewcity
07-23-2011, 01:07 AM
oh no! we need government to help us move about the country and finish our construction projects! :O

buck000
08-02-2011, 08:05 PM
So, I thought I'd watch Rachel Maddow a bit (I don't care for her presentation style).

In talking about Delta Airlines throwing its weight around to get what it wants with respect to the FAA shutdown, she noted that Delta and other airlines were getting more money per ticket, since the FAA was not able to collect its tax during this period.

Then she said that 'after some substantial public shaming' Delta agreed to refund the airline ticket tax amounts to customers.

"So in this part of it, at least, Delta was shamed into doing the right thing. Shamed into it. Congress, so far? Not so much."

Isn't that precisely the point of capitalism, i.e., an informed public can exert pressure on the company to quickly adjust its prices, but the State is under no such compulsion.

Maddow seems to enjoy irony, but I'll bet she missed it completely in her own writing. ;)

nobody's_hero
08-02-2011, 09:15 PM
So, I thought I'd watch Rachel Maddow a bit (I don't care for her presentation style).

In talking about Delta Airlines throwing its weight around to get what it wants with respect to the FAA shutdown, she noted that Delta and other airlines were getting more money per ticket, since the FAA was not able to collect its tax during this period.

Then she said that 'after some substantial public shaming' Delta agreed to refund the airline ticket tax amounts to customers.

"So in this part of it, at least, Delta was shamed into doing the right thing. Shamed into it. Congress, so far? Not so much."

Isn't that precisely the point of capitalism, i.e., an informed public can exert pressure on the company to quickly adjust its prices, but the State is under no such compulsion.

Maddow seems to enjoy irony, but I'll bet she missed it completely in her own writing. ;)

And liberals talk all the time about how if taxes are lowered on corporations, they just pocket the difference.

Once the consumer knows what he can reasonably demand in the transaction, prices will drop.