PDA

View Full Version : My Surprise for you!

hopeforamerica
11-01-2007, 12:05 AM
My husband has been working on an AWESOME Ron Paul Christmas lights sign. Here is the video on how to make one for yourself! We brought it out tonight for Halloween, and boy oh boy, did it get everyone's attention! It was a fantastic night promoting Ron Paul.

Here is the video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=m8gtr24Z9hI

:D

Syren123
11-01-2007, 12:08 AM
It's awesome! Lite Brite for freedom!

sickmint79
11-01-2007, 12:12 AM
haha nice that is sharp !!

ronpaulhawaii
11-01-2007, 12:23 AM
LOL - Phoenix, the signage capitol of RPville

Isupportliberty
11-01-2007, 12:24 AM
this is great, thank you.

ronpaulyourmom
11-01-2007, 12:28 AM
Awesome!

ksuguy
11-01-2007, 12:33 AM
Great job!

eloquensanity
11-01-2007, 12:35 AM
That is awesome.

Primbs
11-01-2007, 12:41 AM
That is a great surprise.

mavtek
11-01-2007, 12:51 AM
That's inspiring! Put those Chinese made goods to work!

Flirple
11-01-2007, 12:58 AM
Fantastic.

I was just thinking that with Paulloween safely behind us it was time for us to start getting wicked creative with Christmas lights. Only to find that you guys have already beat everyone to it!

Happy Paulidays everyone!

Corydoras
11-01-2007, 01:04 AM
Really, really impressive. And the video was a lot of work to make, too. Thank you for sharing this.

Flirple
11-01-2007, 01:38 AM
Is there a concern that the printing paper will quickly be ruined by the elements?

Meatwasp
11-01-2007, 05:08 AM
This is what I call A true spirit for the cause . Thank you

literatim
11-01-2007, 05:22 AM
Should put 'www.ronpaul2008.com' underneath it in Christmas lights also.

freelance
11-01-2007, 05:25 AM
That is AWESOME. Thanks for the step-by-step instructions.

rancher89
11-01-2007, 06:42 AM
To paraphrase (or quote - I can't find the original lol) a previous post---I am contantly amazed and warmed by the creativity and resourcefulness of our Ron Paul supporters. This is a gotta do!

ConstitutionGal
11-01-2007, 06:47 AM
If you can print your templates on a laser printer - they'd be less prone to damage from the elements. Another option to paper would be to use transparancies for a laser printer. That way, the template would be as weather-proof as the corolplast......I see a LARGE, lighted Ron Paul decoration in my future (just as soon as my husband gets home from work and sees this!!)

Elwar
11-01-2007, 08:44 AM
I did something similar to this in high school when I ran for class president. I used a posterboard and blue Christmas lights to say "Vote 4 Chad". It was hung in the civics classroom and plugged in :)
All of the other candidates were jealous.

It didn't translate into votes for me though :(

hopeforamerica
11-01-2007, 08:49 AM
Is there a concern that the printing paper will quickly be ruined by the elements?

You need to take the paper off when you are done. We forgot to show that in the video. The black paint is the background.

risiusj
11-01-2007, 08:52 AM
Nice work, Kipkay!
...er, I mean hopeforamerica!

Valene
11-01-2007, 09:00 AM
I'm so inspired! Thank you for sharing!

JenHarris
11-01-2007, 09:02 AM
That is just great :) I might try to do a Hope for America one if I get time after we finish gathering ballot petition signatures here in IL

MsDoodahs
11-01-2007, 09:14 AM
bump..

this is great!

hopeforamerica
11-01-2007, 09:21 AM
Anyone that wants to make one of these and has any questions, don't hesitate to pm me. We'll answer any and all questions! We would love to see a ton of these made!! Please help make this video as popular as you can...rate it, favor it, and make a comment! Link it to any blogs you may have. It would be awesome to see this go nation wide!!

Thanks for you support! I have to tell you, our neighbors could not believe what they saw last night when we had it up.

MsDoodahs
11-01-2007, 10:49 AM
:)

Another bump - this needs to stay front page for a while.

literatim
11-01-2007, 10:50 AM
If you used LED Christmas lights, it would be easy to hook them up to a mobile battery. Imagine that sign outside the Democratic debates instead of mere banners. :)

coffeewithchess
11-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Awesome! Great job!

ConstitutionGal
11-01-2007, 11:05 AM
If you used LED Christmas lights, it would be easy to hook them up to a mobile battery. Imagine that sign outside the Democratic debates instead of mere banners. :)

The LEDs are a GREAT IDEA!! I was thinking that with daylight saving time going into effect this weekend that it would be nice to do something like this for sign-waving that could be run off a car battery to make it easier to see after dark during rush-hour!! The LEDs just might be the ticket!! Also, I'm wondering whether we might be able to use PVC pipe instead of wood for the frame to make it lighter for easier carrying.

hopeforamerica
11-01-2007, 11:09 AM
The LEDs are a GREAT IDEA!! I was thinking that with daylight saving time going into effect this weekend that it would be nice to do something like this for sign-waving that could be run off a car battery to make it easier to see after dark during rush-hour!! The LEDs just might be the ticket!! Also, I'm wondering whether we might be able to use PVC pipe instead of wood for the frame to make it lighter for easier carrying.

Those are all great ideas! This was designed for houses, but to make portable ones would be awesome too!

TruckinMike
11-01-2007, 12:29 PM
I reversed the Ron Paul Logo image so all you have to do is tape it to the back side.

This should make it much easier for fabrication.:D

TruckinMike

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2215/1815233294_ee02a8f0bf_o.jpg

And one more thing...

If you used LED Christmas lights, it would be easy to hook them up to a mobile battery. Imagine that sign outside the Democratic debates instead of mere banners.

Just get a converter at a auto parts store or truck stop... $40 for a 400 watt converter at the TA truckstop. this way it'll keep it cheap and simple.

just my 2 cents

TM

koob
11-01-2007, 01:00 PM
that's awesome!!! excellent work.

MS0453
11-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Wow. :)

CJLauderdale4
11-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Wow! What enginuity!!
Who said free Americans are not the most creative and genius?!?!?!?

Snowfire
11-01-2007, 01:34 PM
I am utterly inspired! :D

For those of you with hostile homeowner's associations, I recommend figuring out a way to integrate holiday themes into your RP signage. That way, they can't complain that it's just "political".

constitutional
11-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Wow, that probably took quite a lot of time. Very NICE! LOVE IT.

American
11-01-2007, 02:32 PM
That is amazing, great job.

I wonder how hard that would be to make 12 volt and portable. That would look good at the next debate, Democrat or Republican.....:)

TruckinMike
11-01-2007, 02:46 PM
If anybody is in need of photo manipulating software, an excellent "Open source" program is The Gimp. You can get it for Linux and microsoft...and its free. However you could donate to the "Open Source" community for their efforts.:D I used this program to flip the existing revolution logo...It took 2 clicks of the mouse.

http://www.gimp.org/

Another Open source program that I use is "Open Office". Its the Open sources' version of MS office.. The draw program is easy to use and has tons of features for basic image/photo manipulation. --- for more complicated stuff I use the Gimp.

I use Open office 95% of the time. Its great for ad making and converting from one format to another like bitmap to jpeg to PDF... it does them all. It comes in very handy. ..and again its free.

http://www.openoffice.org/

Truckinmike

atariman486
11-01-2007, 03:30 PM

This rocks!

Just don't hang it from tall places in Boston..... does anyone remember those Aqua Teen Hunger Force ads... weren't they just LEDs? :D

Flirple
11-01-2007, 04:06 PM
You need to take the paper off when you are done. We forgot to show that in the video. The black paint is the background.

Thanks for the clarification. I figured that is what you guys did.

Flirple
11-01-2007, 04:11 PM

Ding, Ding, Ding, WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That absolutely must happen!

parke
11-01-2007, 04:19 PM
That is too cool. Reminds me of Mr. Rogers.

fightfortruth
11-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Man, this is so great. I am putting that in my favorites on You Tube. I think I am going to do this. One of the most creative Ron Paul ideas i have seen yet.

OptionsTrader
11-01-2007, 07:47 PM
Wonderful idea and great vid.

hopeforamerica
11-01-2007, 09:51 PM
Anyone that goes out and makes one of these, please post a picture! I can make a follow up video with the signs all across the country. Now THAT would be awesome!

DrNoZone
11-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Talk about an awesome idea! And the video was very nicely done too!

hopeforamerica
11-01-2007, 10:24 PM
My husband just put this video on dig. please dig it here:

http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/DIY_Ron_Paul_Christmas_Light_Sign_Project

Thanks for all of the positive responses!!! I hope a bunch of these get made! We're going to have a meetup and make as many as we can for AZ ;)

MsDoodahs
11-02-2007, 07:22 AM
Bump.

Mandrik
11-02-2007, 07:43 AM
Favorited, commented, and rated 5 stars. Awesome stuff!

surf
11-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Sent this to my brother. He lives in Maple Vallley, WA, and his (large) developement does a huge light show on every house each year. They collect food donations. Tons of people see this, and the neighbors compete like hell to outpimp each other.

He want to put one of these up! He wrote: "I'll clear it with the wife, but I think it will be a go, with your help. I'm concerned about the paper in the rain, and I'm not sure if I have the material for the base board. Maybe around Thanksgiving time, probably be just as easy to make 2?"

So friends, what do you suggest to address these concerns?

torchbearer
11-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Sent this to my brother. He lives in Maple Vallley, WA, and his (large) developement does a huge light show on every house each year. They collect food donations. Tons of people see this, and the neighbors compete like hell to outpimp each other.

He want to put one of these up! He wrote: "I'll clear it with the wife, but I think it will be a go, with your help. I'm concerned about the paper in the rain, and I'm not sure if I have the material for the base board. Maybe around Thanksgiving time, probably be just as easy to make 2?"

You remove the paper after you are done. the black paint is the background.

hopeforamerica
11-02-2007, 01:58 PM

Take the paper off, it's just a guide to drill the holes and place the lights. Also, the coroplast is easily found after an election. If you have one anytime soon, as soon as it's over grab it! You need 2 3'x3.5' feet sections. PM me with more questions! We'll be happy to help. Also, send pics of final product please!!

westmich4paul
11-02-2007, 10:19 PM
I for one am not handy like that but I would love to buy one for x-mas, is there anyway he could be selling these on ebay for Ron Paul with the proceeds going to the campaign? I have seen the site where people are selling things to raise money and I would love to have one of those!