PDA

View Full Version : Some assistance required

Article V
07-22-2011, 05:38 PM
I have a lot of liberal and progressive friends--some reasonable and open to discussion, some completely bigoted and mean-spirited. Since I regularly post about Ron Paul on my Facebook wall (RP2012 has basically taken over my social network), I get comments (mostly negative) from my partisan friends (mostly from the mean-spirited ones). However, one of the reasonable ones asked me genuinely:

"What are the top 5 issues about which you disagree with Ron Paul?"

I want to persuade this friend over to Ron Paul, but I know he may write me off as someone who has rose-colored glasses if I believe my candidate is right about everything. At the same time, however, whenever I've disagreed with Ron Paul in the past, Ron Paul usually ends up convincing me that his method is indeed best.

I've thought long and hard but I honestly can not think of 5 issues I disagree with Ron Paul on (let alone a Top 5). The only one for me right now is the Fair Tax (which I support, though I know many on this forum do not).

It's a controversial thread (which is why I chose such a vague thread heading so that it doesn't come up in Google searches); but I'm sincere in asking you all for help in discovering:

What are the top 5 issues about which you disagree with Ron Paul?

Maybe through your issues, I can figure out if I disagree with Ron Paul on anything besides the Fair Tax. I'm hoping to discover at least a few issues (if not 5) so that I can appear objective in my assessment of Ron Paul--and through objectivity, more persuasive in my Facebook reply.

moonshineplease
07-22-2011, 05:53 PM
I suppose you could come up with some wedge type (usually non) issues. Hell i'm not even 100 percent on where Dr. Paul stands on issues like the death penalty, or having a national space program.
I personally think foreign aid does hurt many of the countries that we help out in Middle America and sub-Saharan Africa, but in the case of a nation like Haiti- which has become so dependent on international assistance over the years (primarily the US) it would be irresponsible to simply cut that off overnight. Though emphasis on a gradual cutback of assistance might be possible. If your friend is more liberal or progressive- he might be responsive to criticism/disagreement like that
Perhaps you disagree with some of the specifics of Dr. Paul's transitional policy propositions..like phasing out the IRS, Opting out of SS....Just a thought.

IT really is difficult for me to find anything to disagree with him on.

dannno
07-22-2011, 06:04 PM
This is what happens when someone holds consistent positions based on principles. Once you fully adopt one of their positions, it becomes difficult not to adopt all of them.

Article V
07-22-2011, 06:42 PM
I suppose you could come up with some wedge type (usually non) issues. Hell i'm not even 100 percent on where Dr. Paul stands on issues like the death penalty, or having a national space program.
I personally think foreign aid does hurt many of the countries that we help out in Middle America and sub-Saharan Africa, but in the case of a nation like Haiti- which has become so dependent on international assistance over the years (primarily the US) it would be irresponsible to simply cut that off overnight. Though emphasis on a gradual cutback of assistance might be possible. If your friend is more liberal or progressive- he might be responsive to criticism/disagreement like that
Perhaps you disagree with some of the specifics of Dr. Paul's transitional policy propositions..like phasing out the IRS, Opting out of SS....Just a thought.

IT really is difficult for me to find anything to disagree with him on.
Good suggestions. I'll have to look up his position on NASA and such.

This is what happens when someone holds consistent positions based on principles. Once you fully adopt one of their positions, it becomes difficult not to adopt all of them.
So true.

Nate-ForLiberty
07-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Pick 5 issues that you used to disagree with Ron Paul on or 5 positions your friends might hold, and explain how Ron Paul converted you on the issue. For instance...

"I used to be pro-choice and I thought all pro-lifers were religious nutcases. However, once I looked at the issue through the lens of the protection personal liberty, I began to change my position. Ron Paul is an OB/GYN who has delivered 4000 babies in his career. He never once saw a medical need to abort any fetus. As a OB/GYN, if a fetus was ever harmed under his care, Dr. Paul could be criminally prosecuted. Why is there a double standard in that it is ok to kill an unborn baby by choice, but not if a doctor makes a mistake?"