PDA

View Full Version : Jury Acquits Citizens of Illegally Filming Police

DamianTV
07-22-2011, 12:55 AM
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/11/07/20/2214257/Jury-Acquits-Citizens-of-Illegally-Filming-Police

"The Springfield (MA) Republican reports two men accused of illegally filming the process as they bailed friends out of jail that last summer, were acquitted of all charges Tuesday. Pete Eyre and Adam Mueller initially were granted permission to film the bail process, but later were forbidden by jail officials from recording the procedure. When they continued to digitally recording their encounter with jail officials, they were arrested by police. Eyre and Mueller testified that they never attempted to hide the fact that they were recording at the jail. Not only did they ask permission to film the bail-out process — which initially was granted — but their recording devices were 'out in the open,' Eyre said. The Jury found the defendants not guilty of three criminal counts: Each was acquitted of unlawful wiretapping, while Mueller also was acquitted of a charge of resisting arrest."

Fantastic job from the Jury, and I am quite glad these guys have been Acquitted!

So, how much did this trial cost the Taxpayers? And what happens when the Government is the one starting these Frivilous Lawsuits?

Napoleon's Shadow
07-22-2011, 08:42 AM
I'm glad this is on SlashDot. Lots of informed and intelligent discussion there.

AFPVet
07-22-2011, 12:03 PM
I guess there are still some juries who aren't dumbed down out there :)

Keith and stuff
07-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Over 50 activists went to the trail in support on the first day and around 1/2 of that the 2nd day. This has been covered a lot by CopBlock and Free Keene. Adam aka Ademo created CopBlock and they both blog at Free Keene.

Numbers Matter
July 19, 2011 by Ian Freeman
http://freekeene.com/2011/07/19/numbers-matter/

This is why I moved to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project. I was sure that getting activists together would be the key to advancing liberty. Now I’m certain. Today was historic.

Pete and Ademo have been found not guilty by a jury. It’s the first time this has happened. In addition, they defended themselves and did not pour thousands of dollars into attorneys. They did a great job at it too (the video is coming – stay tuned), but what role did the audience play?

There were more than 50 people there on the first day and more than 30 there today. They were all supporters. They applauded Pete and Ademo multiple times. They laughed at the aggressors’ absurdities multiple times. They provided moral support for the guys. They protested. But also worth mentioning – they took time out of their busy schedules to support their fellow noncooperative liberty-lovers.

It’s tough to get turn-outs like this in other areas. Clearly, moving people who love liberty together is the best solution for maximizing liberty in our lifetime. It’s working in politics, (with a dozen free staters elected, laws repealed, the budget cut) noncooperation in court (with Pete and Ademo’s success and Weeda Claus’ partial win), and media (with the new FKTV and others).

Come be with others who are standing for liberty. Stand together with us. The time of the idea of “the state” is coming to a close. It’s the beginning of the end for this decrepit idea. Help accelerate its demise. Please join the Free State Project and move to NH. Be sure to consider Keene as a destination, as there is much more work to be done.

nobody's_hero
07-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Gives me some hope. Great story.

Of course, they will now add to the list of questions for jury selection:

"Do you believe there are limitations to the First Amendment?"

Answer carefully. :(

tpreitzel
07-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Frankly, I don't care to read the story... ;) However, wiretapping implies a covert recording of a conversation by a third party who isn't a participant in the conversation.

Brian4Liberty
07-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Good news!

DamianTV
07-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Gives me some hope. Great story.

Of course, they will now add to the list of questions for jury selection:

"Do you believe there are limitations to the First Amendment?"

Answer carefully. :(

The Reasonable Limitations of the First Amendment are Limitations that are Self Imposed, and not Regulated by the Government. Such as having the self control to not yell Fire when there is no Fire in a Crowded Area. However, if someone decides to disregard those reasonable limits, it then becomes a Civil Matter, for an individual who was actually physically hurt by the person who yelled Fire and created a panic, and the Government has no authority to benefit itself as a result of the actions of the irresponsible individual.

heavenlyboy34
07-22-2011, 04:27 PM
Good to hear :)