PDA

View Full Version : LIVE CATO Institute Debate: Libertarianism vs. Conservatism and Participation

HOLLYWOOD
07-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Started at 1830 ET there's LIVE debate that you can participate

VIDEO FEED: http://www.cato.org/event.php?eventid=7905

INTERN FORUM
Thursday, July 21, 2011
6:30 PM (Reception To Follow)
Featuring Cato Institute Interns and Heritage Foundation Interns; introduction by Chip Bishop, Cato Institute; moderated by David Barnes, Senior Policy Analyst, e21: Economic Policies for the 21st Century.
The Cato Institute
1000 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20001

Liberty and virtue are values that both conservatives and libertarians tout as components of their philosophies. Historically, disagreements about the definitions of and balance between liberty and virtue have taken a backseat to other, more pressing conflicts. As times have changed, elements of the old "fusionism" alliance have dissolved, and new conflicts have emerged that impose a strain on the formerly functioning, though imperfect, ideological partnership. Recent policy issues have highlighted disagreements in areas such as the war on drugs, national defense, welfare, immigration, marriage, foreign policy, and many others.

We invite you to a timely debate about the two philosophies and their associated policy applications, as interns from the Heritage Foundation and the Cato Institute go head-to-head to answer the perennial question: Which is the better philosophy, libertarianism or conservatism?

Come back to this page to watch this forum live online.

Due to the high volume of responses we have received for this event we have reached our facility's capacity and are unable to accommodate additional registrations. However, the event will be broadcast live on this page. Our great thanks for your interest in our programs.

Brett85
07-21-2011, 05:21 PM
Interesting debate. Out of the issues mentioned, I agree with the libertarians on the war on drugs, welfare, and foreign policy. (Though many conservatives oppose welfare as well.) I agree with the conservatives on national defense, immigration, and marriage. So I hope both sides do a good job in this debate.