PDA

View Full Version : If Ron Paul were President

ApathyCured
07-21-2011, 03:31 PM
Being from Canada I need some clarification about a Ron Paul presidency.

Lets say he gets elected, and has all of his great ideas presented, whats the chance that any of them make it through the house floors?

I have a hard time believing that the house would allow much of what he stands for to go through so how effective could/would he be as president?

zadrock
07-21-2011, 03:38 PM
As Ron Paul has stated, right now you have big spenders on foreign policy and big spenders on domestic welfare. When they compromise, you get big spending on both. What you need (and what a RP Presidency would provide) is someone willing to compromise in the other direction. No, he would not be able to End the Fed or end the income tax or any of those grandiose ideas. But if his starting point is 0% taxes, then any compromise would bring taxes down. If his starting point is ending the Fed, then any compromise brings more transparency and a fuller audit of the Fed.

Note that there are certain things a President *could* do unilaterally, most importantly he could bring the troops home as Commander in Chief. He could also pardon every nonviolent drug offender currently in prison.

But in general, a RP Presidency would probably just see a LOT of vetoes. Hey, if he just stops govt cold for four years, that's the best we've had in DC since Grover Cleveland...

zadrock
07-21-2011, 03:39 PM
poof

double post

pcosmar
07-21-2011, 03:49 PM
There are some things he could actually do unilaterally as President. But not everything.

However the very act of being elected sends a strong message to both legislators and other interests that the will of the people is behind him.
He would also have the "Bully Pulpit" to address all the issues that have been neglected or mishandled for years.

I suspect he will very quickly be both loved and hated, but overall things will improve.

Travlyr
07-21-2011, 03:57 PM
My Plan for a Freedom President by Ron Paul (http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul647.html)
How I would put the Constitution back in the Oval Office

mello
07-21-2011, 04:15 PM
The Republicans should write up a list of what they are willing to cut from the budget starting with the most expensive & working their way down. The Dems should do the same thing. They should then compare both lists & slash off what they both are in agreement with. Then try haggling with the rest.

Danke
07-21-2011, 04:25 PM
As Ron Paul has stated, right now you have big spenders on foreign policy and big spenders on domestic welfare. When they compromise, you get big spending on both. What you need (and what a RP Presidency would provide) is someone willing to compromise in the other direction. No, he would not be able to End the Fed or end the income tax or any of those grandiose ideas. But if his starting point is 0% taxes, then any compromise would bring taxes down. If his starting point is ending the Fed, then any compromise brings more transparency and a fuller audit of the Fed.

Note that there are certain things a President *could* do unilaterally, most importantly he could bring the troops home as Commander in Chief. He could also pardon every nonviolent drug offender currently in prison.

But in general, a RP Presidency would probably just see a LOT of vetoes. Hey, if he just stops govt cold for four years, that's the best we've had in DC since Grover Cleveland...

Enforcement arm of the Federal Alphabet agencies are under the Executive branch. He could suspend that.

cindy25
07-21-2011, 08:54 PM
many things could be done without congress:
bring troops home from Afghanistan , Germany, Korea etc.
demobilize the reserves
issue pardons for drug, tax, fiscal crimes. (this will cause IRS, TSA, DEA agents to resign)
Federal hiring freeze
appoint only Libertarian judges (needs senate for this but most will go along)
not issue disaster declarations (FEMA can't spend without it)
issue an executive order suspending the onerous border ID requirements to cross the Cdn border (the Sec of Homeland sec has this power)
remove FDR from the dime (Sec of treas can do this)

Paul4Prez
07-21-2011, 11:03 PM
Here's what the late Harry Browne, former Libertarian Party presidential candidate, said he would do on his first day in office (none of which depends on Congress):

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?pageId=517

Following the issuance of the pardons:

I would announce a policy to penalize, dismiss, or even prosecute any federal employee who violated the Bill of Rights by treating you as guilty until proven innocent, by searching or seizing your property without due process of law, by treating you as a servant, or in any other way violating your rights as a sovereign American citizen.

I would immediately order that no federal asset forfeiture could occur unless the property's owner had been convicted by full due process. And I would initiate steps to make restitution to anyone whose property had been impounded, frozen, or seized by the federal government without a legal conviction. (Over 80 percent of such seizures occur when no one has even been charged with a crime.)

As commander in chief of the Armed Forces, I would immediately remove all American troops from foreign soil. Europe and Asia can pay for their own defense, and they can risk their own lives in their eternal squabbles. This would save billions of dollars a year in taxes, but -- more important -- it would make sure your sons and daughters never fight or die in someone else's war.

I would order everyone in the executive branch to stop harassing smokers, tobacco companies, successful computer companies, gun owners, gun manufacturers, alternative medicine suppliers, religious groups (whether respected or labeled as "cults"), investment companies, health-care providers, businessmen, or anyone else who's conducting his affairs peaceably.

I would end federal affirmative action, federal quotas, set-asides, preferential treatments, and other discriminatory practices of the federal government. Any previous president could have done this with a stroke of the pen. Do you wonder why none of them did?

And then I would break for lunch.

Ron Paul may not go that far, but a pro-freedom president could do a lot.

Paul4Prez
07-21-2011, 11:05 PM
End Selective Service registration.

puppetmaster
07-22-2011, 12:02 AM
he said he would void many unconstitutional executive orders with and executive order~

DamianTV
07-22-2011, 12:31 AM
Being from Canada I need some clarification about a Ron Paul presidency.

Lets say he gets elected, and has all of his great ideas presented, whats the chance that any of them make it through the house floors?

I have a hard time believing that the house would allow much of what he stands for to go through so how effective could/would he be as president?

The door swings both ways.

Our Congress is supposed to behave as our Legislative Branch, or Write the Laws. The Executive Branch, or President, is expected to Enforce the Laws, not write their own. Judicial Interprets.

During a Ron Paul Presidency, we can pretty much guarantee than any Unconstitutional Backstabbing Corporate Greed Supporting Law that they throw his way, he will VETO. THAT is the True Power of a Ron Paul Presidency.

cindy25
07-22-2011, 02:51 AM
End Selective Service registration.

Ford did this by executive order, so it has a precedent

cindy25
07-22-2011, 02:52 AM
how about a Swiss style bank secrecy law for any bank that uses FDIC?

ApathyCured
07-22-2011, 08:40 AM
Great job guys, thanks for the info....

rnestam
07-22-2011, 08:56 AM
The Presidency is the biggest soap box in the country. Being able to go directly to the voting public with his ideas and reasoning helps to cement his best ideas into the voters minds. It would spawn more and more liberty candidates to go after all those house members trying to protect the status quo. Those slim balls only want to get re-elected so if the President makes his case, they either vote with him or risk getting replaced. If they feel they can shoot everything down without fear of losing there job then the President is not doing his.