PDA

View Full Version : How to Explode The Evolution Problem with help from JFK

Watch
07-21-2011, 12:55 PM
I was reading about Article 6 of the Constitution on Wikipedia and noticed a similiarity between Ron Paul's personal stance on Evolution and John F Kennedy being a Catholic. Here I quote:

During the 1960 presidential campaign, the issue of whether the nation would for the first time elect a Catholic to the highest office in the land raised the specter of an implicit, but no less effective, religious test. John F. Kennedy, in his Address to the Greater Houston Ministerial Association on 12 September 1960, addressed the question directly, saying,

[N]either do I look with favor upon those who would work to subvert Article VI of the Constitution by requiring a religious test, even by indirection. For if they disagree with that safeguard, they should be openly working to repeal it.
. . . [C]ontrary to common newspaper usage, I am not the Catholic candidate for President.

I am the Democratic Party's candidate for President who happens also to be a Catholic.

I do not speak for my church on public matters; and the church does not speak for me. Whatever issue may come before me as President, if I should be elected, on birth control, divorce, censorship, gambling or any other subject, I will make my decision in accordance with these views -- in accordance with what my conscience tells me to be in the national interest, and without regard to outside religious pressure or dictates. And no power or threat of punishment could cause me to decide otherwise.

But if the time should ever come -- and I do not concede any conflict to be remotely possible -- when my office would require me to either violate my conscience or violate the national interest, then I would resign the office; and I hope any conscientious public servant would do likewise.

But I do not intend to apologize for these views to my critics of either Catholic or Protestant faith; nor do I intend to disavow either my views or my church in order to win this election.

If I should lose on the real issues, I shall return to my seat in the Senate, satisfied that I'd tried my best and was fairly judged.

But if this election is decided on the basis that 40 million Americans lost their chance of being President on the day they were baptized, then it is the whole nation that will be the loser, in the eyes of Catholics and non-Catholics around the world, in the eyes of history, and in the eyes of our own people.

If you replace any mention of JFK being Catholic with say, Ron Paul's view on Evolution you can in essence explode the fallacious argument that a man's personal views should be the same as the nations. This ad hoc argument seems to be mainly from the neoliberals. It's so very sweet that most neoliberals today wouldn't attempt to smear JFK. In my opinion, neoliberals are our best asset to arguing for Ron Paul. Ron Paul is essentially a classical liberal, or paleoliberal, which became libertarianism.