PDA

View Full Version : Massive Resistance Mounting in House Against McConnell Plan

AuH20
07-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Like I stated last week, they need house dems.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/post/conservatives-whipping-furiously-to-block-mcconnell-proposal-in-house/2011/03/03/gIQA051EQI_blog.html

The latest: Some eighty House Republicans have now signed a letter calling on GOP leaders not to even let the McConnell plan get to the floor for a vote, a GOP aide tells me.

As I noted here yesterday, one key metric for judging whether the McConnell plan can get through the House is a letter that Tea Party-backed Rep. Joe Walsh is distributing among colleagues. He’s hoping to amass 100 members on the letter, which would be a strong statement of opposition that would call into question whether the McConnell plan has any chance of passing.

The GOP aide tells me he’s roughly 20 signatures away from that goal. The letter with final signatories wil be released tonight.

So what does the 80 total mean? If the letter does get around 100 signatories, that would mean there are around 140 remaining Republicans. Even if all of them voted for the plan, that would mean you’d need roughly another 80 House Dems. That is probably gettable, though it may be difficult, given all the noise Dems are suddenly making against the proposal. One Dem aide tells me the question of how many Dems will support it turns heavily on the complexion of the $1.5 trillion in cuts that would be packaged with the McConnell proposal.

Aratus
07-21-2011, 02:11 PM
if after a media big tempest in a teapot due to mitch mcconnell's hero worship of henry clay,
are we to see a retirement in 2014 and young trey grayson possibly mayhap running for
the same said promiced senate seat? am saying henry clay was known for two grand
compromises, spaced about thirty years apart. (1820 + 1850) am surmising greatly!