PDA

View Full Version : Chris Christie allows New Jersey medical marijuana program to move forward

jct74
07-21-2011, 02:31 AM
AP: BETH DeFALCO

TRENTON, N.J. — Gov. Chris Christie said Tuesday that he will allow New Jersey to move forward in implementing its medical marijuana law despite his concerns over whether federal authorities could prosecute state regulators.

After saying last month that he wanted assurance from the U.S. Justice Department that it won't pursue criminal charges against state-sanctioned medical marijuana programs, he pivoted Tuesday, saying he was drawing upon his seven years of experience as New Jersey's U.S. attorney in anticipating that federal prosecutors have more important crimes to pursue.

"It is my belief, having held that job for seven years, that there's a lot of other things that will be more important as long as the dispensaries operate within the law," he said.

He never received blanket assurance from the Justice Department. But in making his announcement, the governor said that allowing the program to move forward was "a risk I'm willing to take as governor."

Read more:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/20/new-jersey-medical-marijuana_n_904302.html

Romulus
07-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Cool

Zatch
07-21-2011, 11:32 AM
I wonder if this is another sign he is running for president.

specsaregood
07-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Cool

It's not anywhere near the CA medical marijuana law though. It is really restricted, you basically have to have ass cancer to get it and only through state regulated/aproved outlets.

Legend1104
07-21-2011, 12:43 PM
It's not anywhere near the CA medical marijuana law though. It is really restricted, you basically have to have ass cancer to get it and only through state regulated/aproved outlets.

probably true, but once the door is open, even a little, it may only be a matter of time before it can be shoved wide open.

COpatriot
07-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Atta boy Chris.

Chieppa1
07-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Small step for man.

specsaregood
07-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Atta boy Chris.

Wake me up when he gets serious about the issue.
30% of NJ prison population is there on non-violent drug crimes. And we pay an average of 50k/year/prisoner.

Last year during the budget cuts, he cut the budget for prisons by 7%, rather than working on reforming our drug laws or releasing non-violent drug offenders his solution was to put in more bunk beds.

Atta boy Chris, indeed. /s

thehungarian
07-21-2011, 01:54 PM
BUT HE APPOINTED A MOOSELIMB TO TEH COURTS

Good for Christie. He seems to be at least kind of rational. Of course, I will never vote for a Republican outside of Dr. Paul or Gary Johnson so what do I even care for? There is a medical marijuana bill in Wisconsin that people are trying to push, but I doubt Scottie Walker would sign it(probably wouldn't pass either).

Napoleon's Shadow
07-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Interesting, I wonder why the change. Wish he would've taken a bit more hardline stance on it though regarding the 10th Amendment.