PDA

View Full Version : Cenk quits MSNBC, thinks White House is putting political pressure on the network

jct74
07-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Al Sharpton is going to take over the 6 pm timeslot, which is a downgrade in my opinion. I always thought Cenk was pretty decent for a liberal, and he always gave Dr. Paul nice props for his stances on things like the drug war and foreign policy and civil liberties, but he was pretty ridiculous on economic issues. Anyways, the interesting part of the story is below:

Mr. Uygur, who by most accounts was well liked within MSNBC, said in an interview that he turned down the new contract because he felt Mr. Griffin had been the recipient of political pressure. In April, he said, Mr. Griffin “called me into his office and said that he’d been talking to people in Washington, and that they did not like my tone.” He said he guessed Mr. Griffin was referring to White House officials, though he had no evidence for the assertion. He also said that Mr. Griffin said the channel was part of the “establishment,” and “that you need to act like it.”

Read more here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/21/business/media/sharpton-close-to-being-msnbc-anchor.html

The New York Times story doesn't mention it, but Cenk will be holding a press conference to "discuss the truth surrounding his departure from MSNBC".
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118040185

jrskblx125
07-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Interesting

specsaregood
07-20-2011, 10:04 PM
to be fair:

In an interview on Wednesday, Mr. Griffin denied Mr. Uygur’s accusations and sounded disappointed that he had decided not to accept the weekend position. “We never told Cenk what to say or what not to say,” Mr. Griffin said.

The “people in Washington,” he said, were MSNBC producers who were responsible for booking guests for the 6 p.m. hour, and some of them had said that Mr. Uygur’s aggressive body language and overall demeanor were making it harder to book guests. “The conversation was, ‘Hey, look, here’s how we can make it better’ — about physical things on the show,” Mr. Griffin said.

If anything cenk said really got the white house's panties in a twist and gotten him pressured; then boy have we fallen far. Back in the founders days the newspapers ran stories about jefferson banging dolly madison and pimping her out to ambassadors and I don't think they got those writers fired/pressured to quit.

Travlyr
07-20-2011, 10:08 PM
Watching the media self destruct is fun to watch. Finally some real entertainment from them.

NewRightLibertarian
07-20-2011, 10:11 PM
Cenk was horrible. I am glad to see him off the network. Also, the race hustler Al Sharpton's show is going to be a catastrophic disaster that nobody will watch.

Cenk's some nobody loser with a youtube channel. He is irrelevant and never should have been given a show in the first place.

angelatc
07-20-2011, 10:12 PM
SO, the station that gave Laurence O'Donnell an hour long show thought Cenk was too aggressive? Yeah, right.

jct74
07-20-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm watching this videos right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x7o0sNrulg

ctiger2
07-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Cenk is a Denk

specsaregood
07-20-2011, 10:19 PM
SO, the station that gave Laurence O'Donnell an hour long show thought Cenk was too aggressive? Yeah, right.

indeed, right to the point there.

MJU1983
07-20-2011, 10:22 PM
I don't like Cenk Uygur.

I was actually wondering to myself the other week, "how the hell does this idiot have his own TV show?" Then I remembered, MSNBC. LOL

AZKing
07-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks jct74. Pretty interesting.

Well, good for him. I like watching TYT on YT when I'm bored. 75% of the time they aren't political. Mind you, nobody gets money off me. I have ads disabled everywhere.

Plus, Ana isn't half bad looking :>

trey4sports
07-20-2011, 10:34 PM
Cenk wasn't bad, at least not in comparison to ole Al

FreedomProsperityPeace
07-20-2011, 10:40 PM
I wish this would blow up into a big scandal, but it won't. :rolleyes:

AGRP
07-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Also, the race hustler Al Sharpton's show is going to be a catastrophic disaster that nobody will watch.

A race baiting troll is exactly what they all want.

So much so that Fox news and MSNBC are fighting over him.

KingRobbStark
07-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Yea. I'm pretty sure the White House is terrified of a retard. He thinks to highly of himself.

jct74
07-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Got done watching the video posted above. Interesting stuff, I recommend watching. Basically, the show started in January and sometime in April they called him in for a meeting, told him people in Washington were concerned about his tone and that outsiders are cool, but MSNBC are insiders, the establishment. He says he was stunned and changed the way he did the show after the meeting, pretty much the opposite of what he was told to do as far as "toning it down", and his ratings went way up, even beating Fox. His ratings also blew away Ed Schultz, the guy he replaced. A couple weeks ago as his ratings were at their peak they told him he wouldn't be getting the slot but they offered him a reduced role on the weekends at TWICE the pay. He said no.

NewRightLibertarian
07-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Got done watching the video posted above. Interesting stuff, I recommend watching. Basically, the show started in January and sometime in April they called him in for a meeting, told him people in Washington were concerned about his tone and that outsiders are cool, but MSNBC are insiders, the establishment. He says he was stunned and changed the way he did the show after the meeting, pretty much the opposite of what he was told to do as far as "toning it down", and his ratings went way up, even beating Fox. His ratings also blew away Ed Schultz, the guy he replaced. A couple weeks ago as his ratings were at their peak they told him he wouldn't be getting the slot but they offered him a reduced role on the weekends at TWICE the pay. He said no.

Oh yeah, this propagandist moron was really hitting the establishment where it hurt and that's why he was brought down :rolleyes:

I strongly disagree with the narrative he is promoting. I've looked at his youtube videos, and the content in them is absolutely pathetic. This guy is no threat to the establishment no matter what nonsense he posts on his awful website

NewRightLibertarian
07-20-2011, 11:35 PM
//

Sola_Fide
07-20-2011, 11:54 PM
That dude is the worst. Peter Schiff schooled him so bad that I actually felt sorry for how uninformed the guy was.

Eric21ND
07-21-2011, 12:01 AM
He's pretty retarded concerning economics. He did seem fair to Dr. Paul though.

BlackTerrel
07-21-2011, 12:07 AM
Always enjoyed the guys take on things.

I disagree with him as much as I agree but I always felt he was coming from a good place and had an interesting take on things which I liked.

NewRightLibertarian
07-21-2011, 12:07 AM
He's pretty retarded concerning economics. He did seem fair to Dr. Paul though.

He wasn't the worst. But idiocy shouldn't be rewarded just because cenk was less stupid than larry o'donnell or rachel maddow's stupidity.

jct74
07-21-2011, 12:09 AM
Oh yeah, this propagandist moron was really hitting the establishment where it hurt and that's why he was brought down :rolleyes:

I strongly disagree with the narrative he is promoting. I've looked at his youtube videos, and the content in them is absolutely pathetic. This guy is no threat to the establishment no matter what nonsense he posts on his awful website

Well, he has some anti-establishment views on some stuff I mentioned like foreign policy, civil liberties, drug war, supported auditing the Fed I think, and supported Wikileaks, but on stuff like health care and economic issues he criticizes Obama for not being big-government enough, so he is very much establishment I guess you would say. Here is what Wikipedia says about his criticism of Obama and the Democrat Party:

Criticism of Democratic congressional leadership

Despite this support, Uygur has been frequently critical of Democratic congressional leadership, which he views as having insufficiently opposed the administration on civil liberties and foreign policy issues; in part because of these concerns, Uygur had raised the possibility of supporting a possible impeachment of George W. Bush. Early in the Obama campaign, Uygur had expressed skepticism of Obama's suitability for the Presidency, particularly regarding Obama's limited experience at the national level and what Uygur views as limited achievements in the Senate; nevertheless, he moved to a position of strong support later in the campaign. Uygur has criticized Blue Dog Democrats and other centrist and conservative Democrats, some of whom he has labeled as "corporatists". However, he has described former Wisconsin Senator Russ Feingold, a Democrat, as "probably the only guy in the whole entire Senate we can trust";[12] when Feingold was defeated for reelection in 2010 by Republican Ron Johnson, Uygur said Feingold had been "the best Senator we had, and we no longer have him, so enjoy Ron Johnson – my sense is, you won't".[10] He has also effusively praised former Florida Congressman Alan Grayson.[10]

Criticism of the Obama administration

Since fall 2009, Uygur has taken an increasingly combative attitude towards the Obama administration, saying recently that, "It's been over two years, [Obama]'s not a progressive.... This guy is not going to come on your side, he's just not going to do it. That's not who he is. He is a consummate politician."[13] He has criticized the 2010 health insurance reform law as overly watered-down, owing to excessive concessions to business and conservatives in Congress, noting the deal made between Obama and the drug companies. Uygur has similarly criticized the 2010 financial reform law.

Moreover, Uygur has criticized the overall approach taken by the Obama administration in its dealing with the media establishment and Republicans, where he feels they have too readily conceded to conservative ideological arguments to the point of demonstrating an unwillingness to defend liberal positions. Despite this, Uygur has stated that he intends to vote for Obama's reelection in the 2012 presidential election, deriding his Republican opponents by saying, "What am I going to do, vote for a lunatic?"

After Obama's perceived move toward the political center following the Democrats' major losses in the 2010 midterm elections, Uygur became increasingly concerned Obama's policies and initiatives were shifting further to the right, and while he was pleased with the departures of Rahm Emanuel and Larry Summers, he was worried about the influence Emanuel's replacement, Clinton veteran Bill Daley would have on the President's decisions. He also criticized Obama's speech to the Chamber of Commerce, in which the President offered, in Uygur's view, unnecessary and preemptive tangible and ideological concessions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cenk_Uygur

specsaregood
07-21-2011, 07:15 AM
I'm watching this videos right now.

He told an interesting story until about halfway through, then decides to talk about how great! all the other msnbc hosts are and how it is still much better than foxnews and hey, msnbc is awesome!,,, bleh>

Cowlesy
07-21-2011, 07:44 AM
Al Sharpton is going to be a MS-NBC host?

God Bless America.

specsaregood
07-21-2011, 07:47 AM
Al Sharpton is going to be a MS-NBC host?
God Bless America.

They even say in one of the articles it is because msnbc has been under increasing criticism for not having any black hosts.

wannaberocker
07-21-2011, 09:11 AM
He was a fool anyways. Him leaving really dosnt change the dynamic of MSNBC much.

wannaberocker
07-21-2011, 09:14 AM
They even say in one of the articles it is because msnbc has been under increasing criticism for not having any black hosts.

So they found the most moronic black guy out there and put him on lol. That is like someone saying "there arnt any blacks on such n such tv show". So they introduce a new character who's a black drug dealer.