PDA

View Full Version : Heirs Lose Fight With Gov't to Keep Rare Gold Coins

Lucille
07-20-2011, 03:02 PM
But of course.

Heirs Lose Fight With Gov't to Keep Rare Gold Coins (http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Heirs-Lose-Fight-With-Government-to-Keep-Dads-Rare-1933-Gold-Coins-125908579.html)

A jury has decided that a set of rare gold coins found in a bank deposit box rightfully belongs to the U.S. government.

The decision, made on Wednesday, caps an unusual civil case that combined history, coin collecting and whether the set of rare $20 "double eagles" should have ever let the U.S. Mint in 1933.

Federal prosecutors had asserted that the coins never circulated when the country went off the gold standard. Most of the batch was instead melted down.

But Joan Langbord, the daughter of a Philadelphia jeweler, said she found the 10 coins in her father's bank deposit bank after he died.

She said that her father could have acquired them legally, perhaps through a trade of gold scrap.

One 1933 double eagle sold for $7.6 million in 2002.

Travlyr
07-20-2011, 03:14 PM
The thieves will not stop until they have everything.

I helped a woman yesterday get to a town 10 miles from here because she has nothing. She was wearing shorts, T-shirt, and shoes. That was all she had. She doesn't even have hope.

There is plenty of wealth in the world for everyone. The Queen of England recently spent a $billion on a wedding by starving others. This is not the Twilight Zone ... this is 2011 in America.

Bruno
07-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Don't steal. The government hates the competition.

ctiger2
07-20-2011, 03:39 PM
And the moral of the story is....

Travlyr
07-20-2011, 03:47 PM

"To Serve and Protect" is cover for "tell us where your valuables are".

Lucille
07-20-2011, 03:54 PM

Never, ever go to the authorities, for any reason? Dumb broad:

Joan Langbord of Philadelphia and her sons went to the U.S. Treasury to authenticate the coins, but the government instead seized them.

Cowlesy
07-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Kind of sounds like the guy stole the coins in the first place. Never really had enough information on this story to draw a solid conclusion. If the guy using his mint contacts snuck 10 of them out using subterfuge, then no, I'd prefer his family not receive $70M out of the Treasury. I'd certainly feel otherwise if he had a receipt.

sl7yz0r
07-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Kind of sounds like the guy stole the coins in the first place. Never really had enough information on this story to draw a solid conclusion. If the guy using his mint contacts snuck 10 of them out using subterfuge, then no, I'd prefer his family not receive $70M out of the Treasury. I'd certainly feel otherwise if he had a receipt.

How the hell is she supposed to pull a receipt out of her ass when she didn't know they were there to begin with?
Should the gov not PROVE they are stolen, rather than laying the burden of proof of ownership on the lady who simply inherited it.??

Seraphim
07-20-2011, 04:14 PM
I think you strike out with this comment.

AZKing
07-20-2011, 04:23 PM
So... I'm supposed to feel sorry, or? Why the hell would you go to the government to get them "authenticated"? There's plenty of private firms that can do it. Even your local coin shop could help you.

The family learned a very important lesson. Don't tell the gubmint what you own, especially if it's gold! YOU LOST IT IN A BIZARRE BOATING ACCIDENT!

LibForestPaul
07-20-2011, 05:22 PM
So... I'm supposed to feel sorry, or? Why the hell would you go to the government to get them "authenticated"? There's plenty of private firms that can do it. Even your local coin shop could help you.

The family learned a very important lesson. Don't tell the gubmint what you own, especially if it's gold! YOU LOST IT IN A BIZARRE BOATING ACCIDENT!

No they did not? Srsrly?

Agorism
07-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Who keeps a receipt for gold coins though. I've bought them in shops, and I doubt I have any proof of it.

Anti Federalist
07-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Never, ever go to the authorities, for any reason?

Joan Langbord of Philadelphia and her sons went to the U.S. Treasury to authenticate the coins, but the government instead seized them.

Dumb broad:

Do not call the cops!

AZKing
07-20-2011, 05:52 PM
No they did not? Srsrly?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/family-fights-government-over-rare-double-eagle-gold-151853030.html

But when they tried to have the haul authenticated by the U.S. Treasury, the feds, um, flipped.

DamianTV
07-21-2011, 03:15 AM
"To Serve and Protect" is cover for "tell us where your valuables are".

http://www.lewrockwell.com/grigg/15-transformers-2007-camaro.jpg

DamianTV
07-21-2011, 03:59 AM
Actually, I've got a better image...

http://www.moneyteachers.org/images/paste334.jpg

fisharmor
07-21-2011, 06:54 AM

What a monumentally ignorant post.
How exactly is the family extracting $70 million from the Treasury?
Ten coins at roughly 1 troy oz - do the math. 10 X 1600 is not 70 million.
IF something nefarious could be proved over 70 years after the fact, and
IF there is no statute of limitations, and
IF the feds can prove her guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt,
THEN the Treasury would be out roughly $16,000.

Any other value of the coins is imparted to them by the free market, not the state.
The fact that some collector values a single coin at more than $7 million has nothing to do with the state at all, other than the fact that the state's fuckup makes it rare.

ETA: According to the state, each of them is only worth $20 anyway, so Treasury would only be out $200.

musicmax
07-21-2011, 07:10 AM

Thank you Mr. No Burden Of Proof. Why don't you improve the collective IQ on this board by turning the gun in your avatar around and firing?

PupSter
07-21-2011, 10:25 AM

HOW in the heck do you figure this? it was there family gold, the gov just stole it to add to it's treasury, just like it's doing with the Liberty Dollar gold & silver. I'm sure the gov will auction these at some future date to pay it's over spending. Worth more that way them melting them... If you read up on this, Mint records show a 6 week window that the Mint cashier could have legally let them go, after being minted and before FDR's un-constitutional Executive Order.

tekkierich
07-21-2011, 10:31 AM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/grigg/15-transformers-2007-camaro.jpg
I saw a guy in retired Police Interceptor with this on it in York PA on July 4th

Lucille
09-06-2012, 04:27 PM
I still can't believe they took them to the gov. to be authenticated anyway. Stupid.

Judge Says 10 Rare Gold Coins Worth $80 Million Belong to Uncle Sam
http://news.yahoo.com/judge-says-10-rare-gold-coins-worth-80-152750965--abc-news-topstories.html

In 2003, Switt's family, Joan Langbord, and her two grandsons, drilled opened a safety deposit box that had belonged to him and found the 10 coins.

When the Langbords gave the coins to the Philadelphia Mint for authentification, the government seized them without compensating the family.

The Langbords sued, saying the coins belonged to them.

In 2011, a jury decided that the coins belonged to the government, but the family appealed.

Last week, Judge Legrome Davis of the Eastern District Court of Pennsylvania, affirmed that decision, saying "the coins in question were not lawfully removed from the United States Mint."

Barry Berke, an attorney for the Langbords, told ABCNews.com, "This is a case that raises many novel legal questions, including the limits on the government's power to confiscate property. The Langbord family will be filing an appeal and looks forward to addressing these important issues before the 3rd Circuit."

The family said in its suit that in another seizure of the 1933 double eagle, the government split the proceeds with the owner after the coin sold for $7.59 million in 2002, according to Coinbooks.org.

DamianTV
09-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Welcome to the Land of Entitlements. What is yours belongs to me.

Lucille
09-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Good for Rand (http://www.rollcall.com/news/Rand-Paul-Play-Nazi-Card-in-Gold-Coin-Case-217522-1.html?pos=hln):

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) compared the U.S. government to Nazi Germany on Monday over a federal judge's decision that a family that discovered 10 rare gold coins "not legally removed from the United States Mint" could not keep them.

"Well it's sort of like the Nazis taking paintings from Jewish families during the war and saying, 'Oh you don't get them back.' Well, they're yours. They're still yours even if they find it 60 years later. It's the same thing with these coins," Paul told Fox News' Sean Hannity.

Paul's office did not respond to a request for comment.

According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, a Philadelphia-based federal judge upheld a 2011 jury decision that Joan Langbord and her two sons could not keep the 10 "double-eagle" coins, worth about $7.6 million each.

The Langbords have vowed to appeal the decision, saying the government cannot prove that her late father, Israel Swift, a coin dealer who "had long been suspected by the government of secretly obtaining 1933 double eagles from a mint employee," stole the coins.

"The disputed double eagles were not lawfully removed from the United States Mint and ... remain the property of the United States," U.S. District Judge Legrome D. Davis wrote in his Aug. 29 judgment, upholding the July 2011 decision of a federal court jury.

h/t http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?389688-Think-Progress-Rand-Paul-Compares-U.S.-Government-to-Nazi-Germany

enjerth
09-12-2012, 04:03 PM
No receipt?

Was it not legal tender?

Did it not go into circulation?

Does the store keep a receipt of the number of $20 bills that you give them when you go shopping?

Do stores need to provide a receipt of that money to have a legal claim to it?

Bossobass
09-12-2012, 04:23 PM
IMHO, this is a simple case of letting "A jury of your peers" decide a case.

As the average American becomes duh-duh-dumber, I am more and more reluctant to ask for a jury.

A jury of [someone's] peers let OJ go free but the same system demanded the government steal the coins from their rightful owners.

If you ever are advised by an attorney to ask for a jury trial, make one of the qualifying questions to potentials jurors be: "Can you find Louisiana on this map of the USA?".

Actual video:

Roving reporter: "Can you name a country that begins with 'U'?"

Random American ('U'SA) pedestrian: "Ummm... Yugoslavia?"

Yeah, put HIM on the jury.