PDA

View Full Version : Should there be a November 5th Money bomb?

ForLiberty2012
07-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Please leave all negative comments away from this thread. The fact of the matter, November 5, 2007 was a historic event and ENERGIZED this whole movement and brought a LOT of media attention to Ron Paul's campaign. It's a date that is easy to remember and already has past success. So, why change something when it has worked before?

I guarantee we can hype this date this year... our youtubers can create videos... everyone get the word out on facebook and twitter... All you gotta say is, "Remember the 5th of November... Ron Paul Money Bomb 2011!!!" And it's gonna stick in people's minds and get them energized about that specific date just like in 2007. And I bet you this date will receive media coverage BEFORE it comes because they will talk about the historic funding day back in 2007 and how it's planned again...

Let's send a message like we did in 2007!

RileyE104
07-20-2011, 02:49 PM
I don't think so. I'd rather it be on a different day. I'm sure there's plenty of days in November that can be commemorated instead of repeating what was already done four years ago.

ForLiberty2012
07-20-2011, 02:53 PM
I don't think so. I'd rather it be on a different day. I'm sure there's plenty of days in November that can be commemorated instead of repeating what was already done four years ago.

And it WORKED... that's the whole point... It's the EASIEST date to remember... otherwise I just don't see people outside of these forums getting energized, or even getting the word about another date in November.

RonPaul101.com
07-20-2011, 02:55 PM
I have mixed feelings about it. I think we need a 'November-5th-2007-like day' where we make headlines, but not on 11/5/2011, IMO. If we come up short financially it would get a ton of negative press. We either pick another date for a MB or hold another event type for 11/5 like a signbomb or phonebank rally. I think 11/5/2007 was equally important because it was unique.

I think if we are going to do another money bomb THE BEST day hands down is September 30th and here is why:

1. Last day of the quarter funding push.
2. Its a payday for many supporters because its a Friday. (We need to be conscience of our paycheck to paycheck supporters)
3. Its a payday for many supporters because Saturday is 10/1, the 1st of the month, and they would be paid on Friday 9/30.
4. Spaced far enough from 7/19, but still within this quarter. Save up lots of money to donate.

Nate
07-20-2011, 02:56 PM
Yes, yes there should be.

ForLiberty2012
07-20-2011, 03:08 PM
I have mixed feelings about it. I think we need a 'November-5th-2007-like day' where we make headlines, but not on 11/5/2011, IMO. If we come up short financially it would get a ton of negative press. We either pick another date for a MB or hold another event type for 11/5 like a signbomb or phonebank rally. I think 11/5/2007 was equally important because it was unique.

I think if we are going to do another money bomb THE BEST day hands down is September 30th and here is why:

1. Last day of the quarter funding push.
2. Its a payday for many supporters because its a Friday. (We need to be conscience of our paycheck to paycheck supporters)
3. Its a payday for many supporters because Saturday is 10/1, the 1st of the month, and they would be paid on Friday 9/30.
4. Spaced far enough from 7/19, but still within this quarter. Save up lots of money to donate.

Other dates can be discussed somewhere else, but we need to come to a conclusion on this November 5th date!

Aratus
07-20-2011, 03:21 PM
the poll is tied 8 to 8

Dustancostine
07-20-2011, 03:23 PM
Remember Remember the 5th of November

Exponent
07-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Other dates can be discussed somewhere else, but we need to come to a conclusion on this November 5th date!
How can we come to a fully considered conclusion on the date without considering other dates as alternatives? They're not fully independent decisions.

trey4sports
07-20-2011, 03:33 PM
no.

Do what's best for the campaign, and its not a moneybomb on Guy Fawkes Day. It would be an uphill struggle to explain it and the media would be relentless. Plus, its too far away. We need to be worrying about August.

Nate-ForLiberty
07-20-2011, 03:34 PM
11/5/11 guy fawkes day

Or

11/11/11 veterans' Day

afwjam
07-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Veterans day!

Chieppa1
07-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Whatever happens. I'll be donated 20.12 on Nov. 5th.

Tarzan
07-20-2011, 03:38 PM
11/11/11 veterans' Day

"Red rover, red rover, send Johnnie right over"

I'm for Veteran's Day instead!

ForLiberty2012
07-20-2011, 03:40 PM
11/11 is compelling .... It's a great date overall... I just don't think it will draw any hype.

messana
07-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Veteran's Day sounds better. Good time to promote that most veterans support Ron Paul than any other candidate and what better way to support them is to support their candidate of choice.

evilfunnystuff
07-20-2011, 04:38 PM
no.

Do what's best for the campaign, and its not a moneybomb on Guy Fawkes Day. It would be an uphill struggle to explain it and the media would be relentless. Plus, its too far away. We need to be worrying about August.
... yes August

Luciconsort
07-20-2011, 04:44 PM
[QUOTE=Nate-ForLiberty;3409728]11/5/11 guy fawkes day

Or

11/11/11 veterans' Day[/QUOTE

veterans' day is a great idea imo.... then we can blast that RP is the only vet in the running. really make it stick out :)

ForLiberty2012
07-20-2011, 08:02 PM
... yes August

There can be another in the meantime.... but we need to solidify this date or not... and hype the crap out of it!!

MarcNY
07-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Great points on both sides.

V3n
07-20-2011, 08:11 PM
The earlier the better.. The media acted like the movie "V for Vendetta" never existed and we're just all a bunch of Guy Fawkes supporters, screw that! Give them no reason, no excuses! And the campaign needs our money earlier - super Tuesday is too late for a November bomb. Early and often is the way to go.

ForLiberty2012
07-20-2011, 10:37 PM
The earlier the better.. The media acted like the movie "V for Vendetta" never existed and we're just all a bunch of Guy Fawkes supporters, screw that! Give them no reason, no excuses! And the campaign needs our money earlier - super Tuesday is too late for a November bomb. Early and often is the way to go.

Remember, remember the 5th of November!

ForLiberty2012
07-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Bump for views

IndianaPolitico
07-21-2011, 01:30 PM
NO! It gave the campaign a radical image. This time is different we have a real shot at the white house, let's not make ourselves look bad! Let's stick to something like a, "Constitution Day" money bomb!

garyallen59
07-21-2011, 01:50 PM
I think it will happen anyway. Whether it's organized or all spontaneous like.

sam1952
07-21-2011, 02:23 PM
I voted no. The campaign has a REAL shot this time. I believe earlier money donated is better. Chasing the victories of the past are not the goal. Winning voters, donations and The White House are the goal.

isrow
07-21-2011, 02:30 PM
Veterans day.

We are trying to win the Republican primary. Ron Paul is the only veteran running as of yet and gets great support from the military.

mhad
07-21-2011, 02:35 PM
No, we will never raise the same amount and the media will make it look like a failure. Plus Guy Fawks day is to radical, even back then the media made it look like a bunch of crazies. Lastly I doubt Trevor will give the domain name up for use.... at least I hope he won't.

Nate-ForLiberty
07-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Can anyone give a good reason for having a Nov 5th themed moneybomb that doesn't have anything to do with nostalgia?

Eric21ND
07-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Either Nov 5th for nostalgia or Nov 11th for Veterans day. I think both dates could be successful fund raisers. You could highlight Ron's military experience in the Veterans day money bomb though.

RileyE104
07-21-2011, 02:53 PM
After reading over the comments here I still believe that we can do something better.

I just think the risk of being overshadowed by the past is far too great.

In my opinion, if we DO choose to repeat anything and if it's press we want, the event we should be repeating is Dec. 16th - in order to commemorate Ron Paul being the "godfather" of the Tea Party.

THAT will grab the media's attention, not November 5th.

I think it would be far better to save our energy and money in order to focus on December 16th.

UWDude
07-21-2011, 03:15 PM
It's hilarious people are saying "no, because it's related to guy Fawkes" but still using the term that was coined fro the historic Nov 5 2007 fundraising effort "moneybomb" Check out the archives to see the heated argument for the first one.

Anger is a natural human instinct when it feels it is threatened. And America is very, very, angry.

However, I agree, it is better to bring focus to the fact that it was Ron Paulies that started the Tea party, and not the infiltrators that have made it an impotent Republican controlled opposition.

justatrey
07-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Isn't the real problem that he needs the money sooner? The problem will be finding a sooner date that gets everyone as excited as in 07.

Dustancostine
07-21-2011, 03:47 PM
No, we will never raise the same amount and the media will make it look like a failure. Plus Guy Fawks day is to radical, even back then the media made it look like a bunch of crazies. Lastly I doubt Trevor will give the domain name up for use.... at least I hope he won't.

Not like it is hard to get a new website up.

Dustancostine
07-21-2011, 04:01 PM
I have a great idea anyways. How about we theme it less about Guy Fawkes, though that will probably have something to do with it. But instead focus it on REMEMBERING everything that happened in the past 4 years. Kind of like the Texas during the Texas Revolution used "Remember the Alamo, Remember Goliad"

I could see a video that goes something like this:

Bold words "Remember"
This a cut of video from 2007, maybe of Rudy's comment from the first debate, then Ron Paul's response

Then Bold words "Remember"
Clip of RP being kept out Iowa Value Summit, then shows clip of him holding his own summit and the march that followed

Bold words "Remember"
Clip of Media calling Ron Paul supporters spammers, and then clip of the South Carolina guys Spamming Spartenburg

do the same thing for:

2007 Nov 5 money bomb and media response
Dec 16 Money Bomb and media response
the Ron Paul Blimp
The Ames Ad/Mosiac
The Rally for the Republic
Rand's campaing

We don't need permission to do this and I think this will really work with the grassroots, it will be like the For Liberty doc, it will remind everyone where we have been and give them hope, courage and motivation to donate and continue.

We could also have a short comment section where people comment about what they remember and what they have been through. We could even have people post video's remembering when the first learned about Ron Paul.

I have just registered the domain www.rememberthe5th.com but I am not a techie, if anyone who is serious wants to use it we can make a site and video.

rbohlig
07-21-2011, 04:24 PM
In my opinion, we should postpone this for 6 days until Veterans day. I have a few very pertinent reasons for believing this is FAR superior to a 11/5 moneybomb.

1.) I didn't learn about Ron Paul last election until very late, some of my first exposure to him though, was through media coverage talking about the moneybomb and how it raised a significant amount of money. The focal point of all the news stories was basically a historical lesson on Guy Fawkes, and then as much spin as possible to show how radical and fringe all of his supporters were.

We don't need to be drawing comparisons between Ron Paul and a domestic terrorist. Especially in 2012 when we actually have a very real shot at getting the nomination. This would cause it to be brought up in interviews and frankly I think those types of questions detract from Dr. Paul's message.

2.) 11/5 is on a Saturday. Most people are out doing something with their families or are doing work around the house. Typically this is the worst day to hold a moneybomb IMO.

3.) We raised a hell of a lot of money last 11/5. There is always the possibility (especially on a Sat.) that we could fall short of the 2008 fundraising total. This would be disastrous and we'd be torn apart by the mainstream media.

4.) Veterans day falls on Friday, November 11th. Fridays are good days as some people usually get their paycheck, also 11-11-11 is a really easy date to remember, publicize, and promote. I'm sure we could come up with a better phrase than "remember, remember the fifth of November" if that is a part of the appeal to Nov. 5th

5.) Ron Paul, again, completely decimated the GOP field in military donations. What could be a better way to make a spectacle out of the fact that he consistently raises the most money from the military, he is the only candidate who has served in the military, and he is the only candidate promising to reunite our soldiers with their families?

Just my two cents....Besides, if Guy Fawkes day is such a big deal to you, please come up with something more original than a moneybomb. How about a "protestbomb" or something outside of Federal Reserve buildings? Just an idea, feel free to ignore my advice.

trey4sports
07-21-2011, 04:26 PM
In my opinion, we should postpone this for 6 days until Veterans day. I have a few very pertinent reasons for believing this is FAR superior to a 11/5 moneybomb.

1.) I didn't learn about Ron Paul last election until very late, some of my first exposure to him though, was through media coverage talking about the moneybomb and how it raised a significant amount of money. The focal point of all the news stories was basically a historical lesson on Guy Fawkes, and then as much spin as possible to show how radical and fringe all of his supporters were.

We don't need to be drawing comparisons between Ron Paul and a domestic terrorist. Especially in 2012 when we actually have a very real shot at getting the nomination. This would cause it to be brought up in interviews and frankly I think those types of questions detract from Dr. Paul's message.

2.) 11/5 is on a Saturday. Most people are out doing something with their families or are doing work around the house. Typically this is the worst day to hold a moneybomb IMO.

3.) We raised a hell of a lot of money last 11/5. There is always the possibility (especially on a Sat.) that we could fall short of the 2008 fundraising total. This would be disastrous and we'd be torn apart by the mainstream media.

4.) Veterans day falls on Friday, November 11th. Fridays are good days as some people usually get their paycheck, also 11-11-11 is a really easy date to remember, publicize, and promote. I'm sure we could come up with a better phrase than "remember, remember the fifth of November" if that is a part of the appeal to Nov. 5th

5.) Ron Paul, again, completely decimated the GOP field in military donations. What could be a better way to make a spectacle out of the fact that he consistently raises the most money from the military, he is the only candidate who has served in the military, and he is the only candidate promising to reunite our soldiers with their families?

Just my two cents....Besides, if Guy Fawkes day is such a big deal to you, please come up with something more original than a moneybomb. How about a "protestbomb" or something outside of Federal Reserve buildings? Just an idea, feel free to ignore my advice.

agreed. 11/5 is asking for trouble

free.alive
07-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Here's some reasons why not:

1) The messaging would be terrible. Whoever mentioned this being an uphill battle is absolutely correct. A moneybomb, assuming its a wise tactic going forward, should definitely set Ron Paul apart from the rest. However, this paints him as a violent, radical outsider, not someone who actually has a chance of being the leader people want to follow out of the mire we're in.

free.alive
2) Again, the messaging. The grassroots should serve to reinforce themes the campaign has researched and tested as its most effective, or at least run parallel themes that complement the "official campaign." I haven't checked the website in a few days, but anonymous violent insurrection and uprisings don't seem to be part of Ron Paul's program.

free.alive
3) Missed opportunities. Again, assuming the money bomb is a good tactic going forward, Veterans Day would provide us with a much better opportunity to distinguish Ron Paul in a positive manner from his competitors. He is the ONLY veteran in the race. Foreign policy is the most controversial aspect of his platform for conservatives. A money bomb centered around this distinction would provide him ample opportunities to gain credibility with conservatives on this issue. Another great missed opportunity is Constitution Day. What kind of message would raising a few million for the Dr. on that day send?

free.alive
07-21-2011, 04:38 PM
4) The tangential consequences. First, $5 million on November 5 and not much between then and now won't win Ron Paul the nomination. If the campaign is solely relying on money bombs for the brunt of their cash, we're in trouble. Next, how does this date help the campaign get more earned media out of the theme? It doesn't (mentioned above.) Finally, the assumption that it is certain themes that are getting the grassroots "excited" are false. We need to do something else to reach people. The spirit of '07 simply isn't here this time. I think it still can be, but we're a little behind. We need to figure out how we can get it back. I think the debates are what is key. He was picking up so much momentum because of them. But the theme of the moneybomb probably matters little in terms of donations from existing supporters. If they know about it and have the money, they will donate regardless of the message. The difference is made with promotion. And somehow, that's where we're falling short.

free.alive
07-21-2011, 04:39 PM
These should be our upcoming moneybombs:

Constitution Day
Veterans Day
December 16, Boston Tea Party

And maybe something in October...

free.alive
07-21-2011, 04:41 PM
But what we really need to do is recapture the spirit of 2007. What was different? We had really active Meetup Groups. However, Meetup is past its prime, expensive and is difficult to maintain contact and accountability with members.

Facebook, despite all its faults, is far superior. Google+ would probably be better (so I hear - I'm not on it yet), but EVERYONE'S on Facebook (more or less) and this should be our organizing hub.

Dustancostine
07-21-2011, 04:41 PM

This is a good idea but I don't think that Veteran's day is going to get the RP base fired up. There are only two dates that really really really got the base fired up and that was Guy Fawkes day and the anniversary of the Boston Tea Party. Both of these days symbolize revolting from establishment and since this is a Love-olution we did it by donating to Ron Paul. If you look at what has inspired the base since 2007 it has been responses to being put down by the establishment, not by commemorating holidays.

BTW A moneybomb was tried for Veteran's day last year and it made decent money, but Guy Fawkes day was what worked best.

free.alive
07-21-2011, 04:43 PM
As for September 30, if the grassroots organizes a great theme for Constitution Day (9/16~), the campaign will then have the opportunity to follow that up with another week-long end-of-quarter push!

Oh, and what about an August moneybomb. Or should we do something else for August...?

free.alive
07-21-2011, 04:48 PM
I have a great idea anyways. How about we theme it less about Guy Fawkes, though that will probably have something to do with it. But instead focus it on REMEMBERING everything that happened in the past 4 years. Kind of like the Texas during the Texas Revolution used "Remember the Alamo, Remember Goliad"

Now this is definitely far superior to the Guy Fawkes theme for this time around, and could be pretty successful. Nevertheless, the grassroots or campaign - or both - should still organize something big for Veterans Day if we go with this.

The Guy Fawkes/V for Vendetta angle has to be pushed aside, though.

free.alive
07-21-2011, 04:51 PM
...I don't think that Veteran's day is going to get the RP base fired up. There are only two dates that really really really got the base fired up... (italics added)

Ron Paul winning is what gets the base fired up, not how we tailor the message. What makes it less effective is promotion, and the fact that the grassroots just isn't plugged in like it was on late, even mid '07. That's what we need to fix. I think local FB groups or fan pages to mimic what we did with Meetup in '07 are the key here.

Also, we can't focus simply on past messages. They worked then for reasons we simply shouldn't expect ourselves to mimic this time around. We need to move forward, and focus on what is most strategic, not most nostalgic.

White Bear Lake
07-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Can anyone give a good reason for having a Nov 5th themed moneybomb that doesn't have anything to do with nostalgia?

Because it will raise the most money. I'm giving to Dr. Paul on the fifth, moneybomb or not.

free.alive
07-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Because it will raise the most money. I'm giving to Dr. Paul on the fifth, moneybomb or not.

The lack of nostalgia or radical themes (which, don't get me wrong, I love and wish could encapsulate mainstream politics - but I know won't) is not what is preventing moneybombs that raise multiple millions of dollars. It's lack of participation in general by the less-active and -connected supporters. We need to successfully engage and draw in these people before we start getting the big hauls. By then, the theme will show itself to not matter so much. It's the promotion.

And if the only two days we can raise sick money for the Dr. are 11/5 and 12/16 we're screwed. I think we can do better, and we don't need to live in the past. But we have to get our grassroots act together.

Todd
07-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Veteran's Day sounds better. Good time to promote that most veterans support Ron Paul than any other candidate and what better way to support them is to support their candidate of choice.

this.

could get a lot of traction out of that if the media will pick it up. also stuff those neocons that preach how Ron Paul is somehow anti-military because he opposses the wars

JK/SEA
07-21-2011, 06:13 PM
Sept. 15. A Christopher Gadsden money bomb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Gadsden

KingRobbStark
07-21-2011, 06:42 PM
It was successful last time, but I think we should have a money bomb that would draw the attention of traditional "pro-america" Republicans. Pearl Harbor day for example. That would draw out the traditional Republicans who might otherwise view Ron Paul in a bad light.

ForLiberty2012
07-21-2011, 06:49 PM
1) Those that agree with November 5th are, right now, the majority.
2) I personally can't get excited/hyped about giving on Veterans day.... it's a corny alternative for the people that are scared of being related to "Guy Fawkes".

It was done before. It was successful. Now we can make it tradition and make another statement! They already paint Ron Paul as a radical, no money bomb is going to change peoples' opinions of him... especially when it's not organized by the campaign.... I think the significance of V for Vendetta, past success, easily remembered date, the majority of people want to do it, and the pure HYPE and EXCITEMENT about that date is enough to make history once again.... I'm getting excited just talking about it. I mean, yeah 11/11 is a feel-good date, but that's not gonna create hype or inspire people to donate.... In my opinion.

Nate-ForLiberty
07-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Does anyone who didn't join RPFs in 2011 support 11/5?

ForLiberty2012
07-21-2011, 07:40 PM
Does anyone who didn't join RPFs in 2011 support 11/5?

I don't know how to take that. I supported Ron Paul starting in 2007, and I vote him in on our ballots for that election. My whole family talks politics and they all support Ron Paul because of me... But don't subtly patronize me by hinting that my opinion does not mean anything because I joined this forum in 2011... I watched all of that unfold in 2007 man... while I was in the Air Force. Where you are not supposed to "Publicly endorse a candidate." So sorry I'm not a part of the good ol boys club that's been here since 2007.

Nate-ForLiberty
07-21-2011, 07:46 PM
I don't know how to take that. I supported Ron Paul starting in 2007, and I vote him in on our ballots for that election. My whole family talks politics and they all support Ron Paul because of me... But don't subtly patronize me by hinting that my opinion does not mean anything because I joined this forum in 2011... I watched all of that unfold in 2007 man... while I was in the Air Force. Where you are not supposed to "Publicly endorse a candidate." So sorry I'm not a part of the good ol boys club that's been here since 2007.

I ask not because "it's a club" or some bullshit like that, but because there is an enormous amount of discussion on this forum about the moneybomb and 11/5 in general that the recently joined seem too lazy to go read.

ForLiberty2012
07-21-2011, 08:10 PM
I read the exact topic you wanted me to read... and you were the only one to harshly criticize it... I saw 4 people that wanted to do it.. and look at the poll... more people would like it to happen. So your arguments for it are of personal interest in the matter and not based on what a majority might like.

tpreitzel
07-21-2011, 08:12 PM
Frankly, I'm adhering to ONLY money bombs held in the first week of the last month of every quarter. You all can do what you want ... ;)

Benjam
07-21-2011, 08:14 PM
The 5th of November is a good day. Veteran's day may not do a whole lot for us because this election is about the economy. While the military is a huge part of Dr. Paul's plan to take care of the spending excess, liberty is the main concept of his campaign. I think Liberty from opressive government is a much greater fundraiser than one that says that Paul brings in more money from military than other candidates.

IRONCLAD
07-21-2011, 08:19 PM
11/5/11 guy fawkes day

Or

11/11/11 veterans' Day

Yes, I like the 11-11-11 date.

Slogan: "11,11,11, remember this date for Veteran's, 11,11,11 on this date in November."

IRONCLAD
07-21-2011, 08:23 PM
edit: everyone is making good points about the dates.

Nate-ForLiberty
07-21-2011, 08:35 PM
I read the exact topic you wanted me to read... and you were the only one to harshly criticize it... I saw 4 people that wanted to do it.. and look at the poll... more people would like it to happen. So your arguments for it are of personal interest in the matter and not based on what a majority might like.

So because I disagree with you, which you can't even fathom why, it must be for personal reasons?

:rolleyes:

White Bear Lake
07-21-2011, 08:50 PM
November 5th is almost exactly a year before the 2012 general election. Being a year (plus one day) from the general election, as well as being Guy Fawkes Day and a historical day for the Ron Paul movement, is more than enough of a reason to hold it on Nov 5th.

mport1
07-21-2011, 08:59 PM
With the terrible showings of the last few money bombs I am hoping a redo of November 5th and the Tea Party will actually be successes. It does not seem like the movement is energized this time around and I think being able to redo what has been a success may help.

sam1952
07-21-2011, 10:13 PM
I participated in the Nov. 5th Money Bomb, promoted it and though the idea was great. I remember the back lash from the media about Guy Fawkes and using the word "Bomb". Wasn't it Glenn Beck who had the guy from England on explaining to everyone that Guy Fawkes was a terrorist and associating Ron Paul supports as such. But this isn't the reason I oppose it now. Ron Paul has a legitimate chance to win the presidency. This far along we will know how he is doing and if he really starts to move ahead everything will be thrown at him including all that old crap. Just by the fundraising logic Dec. 16 is a better day. I really have a hard time believing the average new supporter/donor will relate to Guy Fawkes day. Those are the voters we need to win over.

To me this is about winning and strategically this date will alienate new voters to Ron Paul..... in my opinion.

Anti Federalist
07-21-2011, 10:24 PM
With the terrible showings of the last few money bombs I am hoping a redo of November 5th and the Tea Party will actually be successes. It does not seem like the movement is energized this time around and I think being able to redo what has been a success may help.

+rep

I thought an Independence Day money bomb would have been successful, but was shouted down.

There has to be some "revolutionary" significance to the date, to get people buzzed and pumped up and energized, so that in the act of donating, you are not just donating to Ron Paul's campaign, but also, in your own small way, giving a giant "fuck you" to the system.

These lame date money bombs are going to continue to go nowhere, I'm afraid.

ForLiberty2012
07-21-2011, 10:53 PM
I participated in the Nov. 5th Money Bomb, promoted it and though the idea was great. I remember the back lash from the media about Guy Fawkes and using the word "Bomb". Wasn't it Glenn Beck who had the guy from England on explaining to everyone that Guy Fawkes was a terrorist and associating Ron Paul supports as such. But this isn't the reason I oppose it now. Ron Paul has a legitimate chance to win the presidency. This far along we will know how he is doing and if he really starts to move ahead everything will be thrown at him including all that old crap. Just by the fundraising logic Dec. 16 is a better day. I really have a hard time believing the average new supporter/donor will relate to Guy Fawkes day. Those are the voters we need to win over.

To me this is about winning and strategically this date will alienate new voters to Ron Paul..... in my opinion.

Again, someone pulling the "you're a RPF newbie." What makes you think your opinion is superior because you've been here longer? I don't understand that complex around here. Everyone has something to bring whether or not they were a supporter in 08... they might have voted obama, they might have voted mccain... Regardless, everyone has different perspectives. But for me PERSONALLY... November 5th is what ENERGIZED me to be excited about this campaign... I felt like the campaign had a real tangible life and I loved the correlation to the suppressive government in V for Vendetta. There was an amount of swagger about the campaign that was palpable. For once, I had felt excited about politics and felt the urge to get involved and learn more and I, for the first time donated to a President. I donated about $20 that day.

It's tradition at this point... It was a historical event for this campaign! We must always celebrate it and not be shy about it! We need to be loud and let people know we are out here.... I'm just saying we can hype this majorly... It would be un-Liberty of you to not want to celebrate that date ;)

I think we can change history's meaning of that day forever.

sam1952
07-21-2011, 11:07 PM
Again, someone pulling the "you're a RPF newbie." What makes you think your opinion is superior because you've been here longer? I don't understand that complex around here. Everyone has something to bring whether or not they were a supporter in 08... they might have voted obama, they might have voted mccain... Regardless, everyone has different perspectives. But for me PERSONALLY... November 5th is what ENERGIZED me to be excited about this campaign... I felt like the campaign had a real tangible life and I loved the correlation to the suppressive government in V for Vendetta. There was an amount of swagger about the campaign that was palpable. For once, I had felt excited about politics and felt the urge to get involved and learn more and I, for the first time donated to a President. I donated about $20 that day
It's tradition at this point... It was a historical event for this campaign! We must always celebrate it and not be shy about it! We need to be loud and let people know we are out here.... I'm just saying we can hype this majorly... It would be un-Liberty of you to not want to celebrate that date ;)

I think we can change history's meaning of that day forever.

Where in the world did you get the idea that I think my opinion is superior to yours or anyone's for that matter. Relax, we are on the same team here. I simply stated what I believe and will continue to do so.. As I'm sure you will.... I'm not interested in changing history's meaning of that date. I'm interested in winning the Presidency... In liberity my friend....

ForLiberty2012
07-21-2011, 11:19 PM
I said that because your arguments were backed by your past experiences with the campaign and not backed by the fact that the money bomb worked.. I'm saying let's win it on what has worked and tradition... It's very personal to the movement and it's what inspired young kids to go out and get involved (I would consider myself young then - 19... in college and I got all my friends hooked after that cause he seemed legit)... So yes, I'm speaking from a young male's perspective and as far as what happened in my personal experiences. But it's just not me.... I always see registrations in Nov and Dec of 07 on these boards... I don't believe it's a coincidence... Those two months probably showed the highest rise in Ron Paul supporters ever.

free.alive
07-21-2011, 11:19 PM
You won't. Whether or not a few people on RPF get warm and fuzzy and all excited because of a Hollywood theme is irrelevant.

If Dr. Paul needs 11/4 and 12/16 because that's the only way people will get excited and donate, then we're screwed. (we're not) If you think that "V" theme won't turn a lot of people off, you're wrong. If you thing the campaign will actively participate with that message, you're wrong. Furthermore, the whole idea that the reason the moneybombs aren't huge right now is because of theme is naive. It's organization.

We have a chance to actually win this time. Having the 11/5 theme puts us in the way of Ron Paul actually winning.

free.alive
07-21-2011, 11:21 PM
Where in the world did you get the idea that I think my opinion is superior to yours or anyone's for that matter. Relax, we are on the same team here. I simply stated what I believe and will continue to do so.. As I'm sure you will.... I'm not interested in changing history's meaning of that date. I'm interested in winning the Presidency... In liberity my friend....

"Winning!"

free.alive
07-21-2011, 11:40 PM
As to whether or not time on the forum makes a difference in this poll, consider the results of another active poll: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?304275-POLL-Trying-to-get-a-grip-on-Age-of-Ron-Paul-Supporters

Many of us were grassroots leaders and staff in 08. Many of us are leaders in C4L. Most of us have been following politics VERY closely for at least 4 years now. Many of us have went on to work on other candidate and issue campaigns, have spent the last 2+ years getting trained for this very fight, and are the people running the local groups and meetings you'll hopefully show up to. We've led the movement for 4 years now. At least consider the possibility that we might know what we're talking about.

Wisdom is not democratic. Believe it or not, newbies, there are actually lot of "old timers" on here that can teach you a few things. We want to, because we want freedom just as bad as you do!

That said, we're growing and it's awesome!

sam1952
07-22-2011, 12:02 AM
I said that because your arguments were backed by your past experiences with the campaign and not backed by the fact that the money bomb worked.. I'm saying let's win it on what has worked and tradition... It's very personal to the movement and it's what inspired young kids to go out and get involved (I would consider myself young then - 19... in college and I got all my friends hooked after that cause he seemed legit)... So yes, I'm speaking from a young male's perspective and as far as what happened in my personal experiences. But it's just not me.... I always see registrations in Nov and Dec of 07 on these boards... I don't believe it's a coincidence... Those two months probably showed the highest rise in Ron Paul supporters ever.

I understand your passion and commitment. I also think you're correct about all the new members in Nov. and Dec. 07. I will make my objection to the date clearer.

It is a gamble to think we will at minimun match the sucess of 07. If we fall short it will blow up (pun intended) on us in the media. The risk/reward ratio is to great. I still believe the average new supporter just will not associate with the Nov. 5th theme. I think it's time to run a more mainstream campaign. I hate it but that's what we need to do to win. Look how the campaign has matured with better ads and people working for the campaign. I don't wish to sabotage their efforts, I wish to compliment them.

From free.alive
"We have a chance to actually win this time. Having the 11/5 theme puts us in the way of Ron Paul actually winning."

I worry this may be a true statement.

Nate-ForLiberty
07-22-2011, 05:54 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?304439-Moneybomb-2012-Discussion-reference-thread

Read.

Anarchist
07-22-2011, 06:46 AM
Nothing succeeds like success

Voluntary Association + Mutual Cooperation + 110% Personal Responsibility = 100% Individual Liberty

ForLiberty2012
07-22-2011, 10:25 AM
I understand your passion and commitment. I also think you're correct about all the new members in Nov. and Dec. 07. I will make my objection to the date clearer.

It is a gamble to think we will at minimun match the sucess of 07. If we fall short it will blow up (pun intended) on us in the media. The risk/reward ratio is to great. I still believe the average new supporter just will not associate with the Nov. 5th theme. I think it's time to run a more mainstream campaign. I hate it but that's what we need to do to win. Look how the campaign has matured with better ads and people working for the campaign. I don't wish to sabotage their efforts, I wish to compliment them.

From free.alive
"We have a chance to actually win this time. Having the 11/5 theme puts us in the way of Ron Paul actually winning."

I worry this may be a true statement.

I don't believe there's any risk or gamble. Perhaps we won't achieve the same success as in 2007, but why should that make us fear that date? Your logic is flawed because you are comparing opinion to fact. You are assuming it will "sabotage" the campaign, when in 2007 it fired the campaign up! What has worked before usually works again. There is nothing "nostalgic" about it... It's a fallacy to think that changing a date to a few days later will be more effective or give us a "better image."

If it's not broke, don't fix it. Also, there are people saying outright they are contributing on November 5th either way. There is an emotional connection with that date and I bet supporters far from these forums are thinking the same thing.

The date was already set in stone in 2007... Let's not "gamble" thinking another date might be more successful.

White Bear Lake
07-22-2011, 10:57 AM
Any famous liberty fighters whose birthday's fall between September and November? I checked Goldwater, Jefferson, Madison, Paine, and Coolidge but unfortunately they all fall outside that range. The only one I found is Robert Taft whose birthday is Sept 7th. Ron Paul's bday doesn't count - we need someone historical that resonates deeply with conservatives and libertarians.

It's too bad January 2nd would be too late because a Goldwater Birthday Bomb could be huge.

IRONCLAD
07-22-2011, 06:17 PM

Remember, we are still over a year before the election. Give it time, they will come. I feel it.

IRONCLAD
07-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Y'all need to stop fighting.... same side here...LOL

V4Vendetta
07-22-2011, 06:34 PM
November the 5th??? I tend to like that day.... with December the 16th a close 2nd :) But I am Bias!

ronpaulhawaii
07-22-2011, 06:34 PM
How about this for 11/5?

We organize nationwide phone banks to call local white pages and collect "pledges" for RP, a la Mitt's BS 10 mil day...

and the pledges are for 12/16

pacelli
07-22-2011, 06:40 PM
voted no. It worked in 07, but it is a different campaign and different climate now. However I'm maxed out, so I can't contribute to any more money bombs oriented toward the campaign. I'd be glad to contribute to money bombs for revolution pac.

Nate-ForLiberty
07-22-2011, 06:45 PM
voted no. It worked in 07, but it is a different campaign and different climate now. However I'm maxed out, so I can't contribute to any more money bombs oriented toward the campaign. I'd be glad to contribute to money bombs for revolution pac.

moneybombs for the RevolutionPAC should be completely off the hook.

pacelli
07-22-2011, 06:47 PM

Absolutely. Just wondering how much lead time they will need. How late is too late to money bomb them?? If they get a ticker up I'm sure a money bomb will organically follow. They seem to be focused on media, so I'm guessing they will need it now.

Anyone from revolution pac care to comment?

E. Nordstrom
07-24-2011, 05:06 AM

The Super PAC is a great idea. Will come in handy when folks reach their donations cap to the campaign. Moneybombs are certainly still important for the campaign and it gives us supporters a chance to collaborate in creative ways.

The RevolutionPAC gives us another way to collaborate in a way that we have yet to tap into.

Imagine the individuals who donate to moneybombs. Most of us can afford what we can, others have the ability to donate up to the $2300 cap. With 10, 20, 30 thousand of us we do well and usually produce a few million for Paul's campaign.

With a SuperPAC I think we have the opportunity to up the scale. Instead of us getting other individuals to donate on a specific date for a moneybomb. Perhaps we need to go out 'Tommy Boy' style, find local businesses who are pro-Paul and find other business owners who may not know about Paul... educate them on how a Paul Presidency would be beneficial to their business and how it is up to us as individuals AND up to small and large business owners to donate. Moneybombs are important but can you imagine a "Superbomb". A Super PAC Moneybomb = Superbomb.

Instead of a moneybomb where thousands of individuals donate $100 to the campaign amounting to 3,4,5,6 million dollars. A Superbomb would consist of thousands of business owners donating 2,3,4 thousand dollars.

Let's do some math..

A moneybomb with an average of 40,000 people donating an average of $50 is a 2 million dollar moneybomb to the Campaign.
A superbomb with an average of 5,000 business donating an average of $5,000 is a 25 million dollar superbomb to the Super PAC.

Is it possible? Are those number achievable? Would the be enough support from small business owners to find 5000 businesses? Would there be enough grassroots support to actually go out and talk to these small business owners?

I guess we will find out.

Whoever coordinates the first successful superbomb will surely make history.