PDA

View Full Version : We need a MoneyStream site, not money bombs!

SilentBull
07-20-2011, 09:18 AM
I was thinking of creating a site for this, but frankly I don't have the time, as I'm currently working on other things.

We need a MoneyStream site that will do the following:

People can enter how often they get paid, and a starting date.
They pledge to donate a certain amount every time they get paid.
The site will send an email to supporters on the day they get paid, as a reminder to donate at least what they pledged. The email will contain a link to the donation page.

This is for people who don't like having the campaign take money out of their credit cards automatically every couple of weeks. Imagine if we could get 50,000 people to donate $30 every couple of weeks. That's 3 million every month! Didn't 50,000 people donate to the $6M money bomb in 2007?

Is anyone willing to do this? Of course, this isn't just a site. One would need some type of background service that runs all the time, and that checks the database every day, finding those whose turn it is to donate on that day. The service could be the one that sends the actual emails while the site just enters stuff into the database, or the site could have a web service that sends the actual emails and the background service just contacts the site's web service every 24 hours.

Thoughts?

ChrisDixon
07-20-2011, 09:25 AM
It's possible to do both, I'm open to MoneyStream. I don't know why people are becoming so opposed to Moneybombs, though. If it's not broken, don't break it.

SilentBull
07-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Oh I'm not opposed to money bombs. Doing both would be great. I'm just saying rather than people waiting to donate to a money bomb, the campaign could really use a steady stream of cash.

PeacePlan
07-20-2011, 10:11 AM
You could also set this up as a cash withdrawal from a banking account with automatic withdrawal of an amount on a certain day of the month?

BrendanWenzel
07-20-2011, 10:33 AM
You could also set this up as a cash withdrawal from a banking account with automatic withdrawal of an amount on a certain day of the month?

He's saying that automatic withdraws aren't necessarily good because what happens if they forget and then bounce a check. It'll create a negative effect. Some people can't take that chance.

FriedChicken
07-20-2011, 05:57 PM
Good idea.
I think that this would be more effective through the official campaign - many people would probably love this feature and utilize it for making donations but getting traffic through an official site would be hard to do - you would have to promote the site like crazy when you could be putting the effort elsewhere.

If this feature was ran through the official campaign's site than people who didn't already know about the idea would stumble on it and any promotion we put effort in sends people to the official campaign where they can also read about issues or sign up as volunteers.
Not to mention the more traffic that goes through that site the more we can brag about how ours if the most active website of all the other candidates (I don't know who has the most active at the moment)

I think the campaign should offer this feature (paycheck reminders) and also the immediate withdrawal option as well. I don't believe they currently offer either while Romney has a very simple and sexy looking donation form with that option on the front of his site.

Good idea. I think the campaign should listen to it.

MarcNY
07-20-2011, 07:52 PM
I like this idea

aburan28
07-20-2011, 08:03 PM
http://ronpaultwitterbombs.com actually has the moneybomb ticker still running check it out.