PDA

View Full Version : What we need to is to RETIRE the money bomb..

hazek
07-20-2011, 08:11 AM
People are irrationally obsessed with these money bombs because the first 2 were a real major success but they forget to ask why that happened and so they falsely, clearly, still have hope for a repeat.

There are a bunch of small reasons why that is but here are what I think were the 4 most important ones:
First and foremost back in 2007 it was something completely new, something no one else ever did so people had an immediate feel good factor about being part of something special giving them a lot of motivation to participate.
Second both the nov 5. and dec 16. had an emotionally strong underlying story of Guy Fawkes day and the Boston tea party which again a lot of the people identified with and were really strongly motivated to participate.
Third we had some awesome emotionally powerful promotional videos spread wide and far with hundred of thousands of views on youtube that spread the awareness.
And fourth there was this huge desire by the grassroots facing all the smearing and marginalizing and ignoring by the media to be heard and everyone felt like raising big money would be something they couldn't ignore anymore.

So when you objectively look at those reasons and you compare them to today, you can quickly discover that we will probably never repeat the same success we had with those first major two..

What about now?

IMO the money bombs are held way too often, the themes aren't inspiring enough, there are no excellent promotional videos on youtube viewed my hundred of thousands, and the grassroots still very much remembers the pain of the defeat in 08 and to top it off the media doesn't ignore us anymore.

Obviously anyone with some sense of rationality can deduce that the recipe for a majorly successful money bomb is clearly laking it's key components and we should either work on acquiring these components or if that isn't possible we should abandon the concept for a better and more successful one.

I'm personally of the opinion it's impossible to have all the needed ingredients ever again so I suggest we come up with a new scheme to replace the "money bomb", find a very emotionally inspiring reason to hold the fundraising event and have all the promotional aspects figured out.

I seriously hope that we the grassroots have enough rational people that can clearly see the evidence that the last few money bombs have shown us and we're capable of taking this evidence and doing the right thing. Otherwise we are no better than anyone else with an obsession and we will certainly fail in our endeavor.

Napoleon's Shadow
07-20-2011, 08:37 AM
Give early and often.

But the next big push will be for the end of the quarter.

brandon
07-20-2011, 08:38 AM
I agree. Been saying this for a while now.

We need some type of longer-term fund raising contest that takes place mostly off the internet. The contest should reward the top fundraisers in some meaningful way. It should be run with the campaigns endorsement and support.

Indiana4Paul
07-20-2011, 08:43 AM
People are irrationally obsessed with these money bombs because the first 2 were a real major success but they forget to ask why that happened and so they falsely, clearly, still have hope for a repeat.

There are a bunch of small reasons why that is but here are what I think were the 4 most important ones:
First and foremost back in 2007 it was something completely new, something no one else ever did so people had an immediate feel good factor about being part of something special giving them a lot of motivation to participate.
Second both the nov 5. and dec 16. had an emotionally strong underlying story of Guy Fawkes day and the Boston tea party which again a lot of the people identified with and were really strongly motivated to participate.
Third we had some awesome emotionally powerful promotional videos spread wide and far with hundred of thousands of views on youtube that spread the awareness.
And fourth there was this huge desire by the grassroots facing all the smearing and marginalizing and ignoring by the media to be heard and everyone felt like raising big money would be something they couldn't ignore anymore.

So when you objectively look at those reasons and you compare them to today, you can quickly discover that we will probably never repeat the same success we had with those first major two..

What about now?

IMO the money bombs are held way too often, the themes aren't inspiring enough, there are no excellent promotional videos on youtube viewed my hundred of thousands, and the grassroots still very much remembers the pain of the defeat in 08 and to top it off the media doesn't ignore us anymore.

Obviously anyone with some sense of rationality can deduce that the recipe for a majorly successful money bomb is clearly laking it's key components and we should either work on acquiring these components or if that isn't possible we should abandon the concept for a better and more successful one.

I'm personally of the opinion it's impossible to have all the needed ingredients ever again so I suggest we come up with a new scheme to replace the "money bomb", find a very emotionally inspiring reason to hold the fundraising event and have all the promotional aspects figured out.

I seriously hope that we the grassroots have enough rational people that can clearly see the evidence that the last few money bombs have shown us and we're capable of taking this evidence and doing the right thing. Otherwise we are no better than anyone else with an obsession and we will certainly fail in our endeavor.

I completely agree. We need new tools to continue to grow this movement.

I personally thought the Obama campaign's 'lottery' was a great idea. They sold $5 tickets for a chance to have dinner with Obama. It raised some money but it also expanded the size of his Campaign lists to help spread the message.

One thing the campaign might consider is to expand on this idea and tie them to Iowa and NH. I think Dr. Paul's intellectual approach to politics would lend itself well to this type of campaign.

V4Vendetta
07-20-2011, 08:47 AM
I agree with everything you said hazek!

jbuttell
07-20-2011, 08:52 AM
many valid points, even if they've already been said ad nauseum.

What I didn't get out of your post was a reason to stop. While we haven't seen 6mill moneybombs this cycle yet, we have seen multiple successful ones. I measure success by the fact that we're bringing money in steadily, it's a very visible and exciting way to show us working together. I think people like donating together, it feels almost like your money is worth more, instead of just a drop in the bucket.

I see no reason to stop, Ron's fundraising stats suggest we keep it up.

that said, I'm all ears for a better idea.

Gage
07-20-2011, 08:59 AM
And yet a majority of the $2 million of what Ron raised last quarter would've probably not been raised without a moneybomb.

reduen
07-20-2011, 09:01 AM
To me it seems you base your reasoning on the assumption that the past few money bombs have been some sort of failure. I am all for something new but I do not consider the last few to be a failure by any means. We still even today beat the snot out of anyone else's grassroots fundraising (we are ahead of everyone except Romney) and 500k to 1 million is nothing to laugh at in my book.

I personally think a win at Ames puts us in great shape to have another record breaking money bomb but even if I am wrong, 4 million dollar money bombs is still 4 million dollars. What is the next big thing? I am all in....

IndianaPolitico
07-20-2011, 09:04 AM
I don't think we should stop having Money Bombs, I just think the campaign needs to expand their fundraising. The idea of having a ticket put into a drawing to have lunch with Ron Paul for every 5 dollars given, is a good idea. Also, he never has any big 1,000 dollar a plate fundraising dinners. I know that is what the establishment does, but it works! I am sure that he has some fairly well to do donors that would show up.

hazek
07-20-2011, 09:04 AM
I don't think they were a failure in a vacuum, certainly not when compared to the rest of the field.

But I do think there is a huge potential out there to raise a whole lot more and I feel like the money bombs are holding us back and in that sense they are a failure.

William R
07-20-2011, 09:10 AM
600 thousand is actually pretty good. Keep the Money Bombs.

ProIndividual
07-20-2011, 09:10 AM
I'll give you this much...if the themes of the money bombs were related to dates in American history, not "end of Quarter pushes" (although I'm not suggesting that can't be the actual reason), they would have more widespread emotional effect.

But I would not retire our bread and butter. That's like refusing to play Aces in poker because you won less than your average expectation a few times in a row. You still profited, albeit less, and you still on average make more than enough to make riding out a bad streak worth it.

V3n
07-20-2011, 09:12 AM
I get caught up on the excitement and camaraderie of the money bomb. Like jbuttell mentioned - see you're little bit of cash in the huge ticker makes you feel like you're making a real difference - not that we should donate just to make ourselves feel good - but it's definitely a motivator to get more donations or larger donations.

reduen
07-20-2011, 09:15 AM
I don't think they were a failure in a vacuum, certainly not when compared to the rest of the field.

But I do think there is a huge potential out there to raise a whole lot more and I feel like the money bombs are holding us back and in that sense they are a failure.

You don't think that working to improve them is the answer? I mean with all the campaign finance rules and stuff what is next?

JamesButabi
07-20-2011, 09:17 AM
Any other candidate would be ecstatic to have consistent money bombs held by grassroots. This is Ron Pauls main source of funding. We very well might have just funded every single Iowa project if the campaign so desires to use it there. I get people to donate to moneybombs that would normally not do it. Give them up? Nah. Make them better? Sure! We just need to get the creative juices flowing.

tremendoustie
07-20-2011, 09:18 AM
I agree with the analysis that certain motivations are not quite as strong at this time in this cycle as they were in november or december of 2007.

However, these moneybombs are still successes. If there is a better idea, I'm sure we're all ears, but the fact that they are not as huge as in late 2007 does not imply that there is a superior alternative.

SilentBull
07-20-2011, 09:19 AM
I just posted this idea for a MoneyStream site:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?304155-We-need-a-MoneyStream-site-not-money-bombs!

ChrisDixon
07-20-2011, 09:20 AM
Moneybombs are vital. These short fundraising events rally the troops. It's much more than just money, it's energy for the people. Do you think we'd have people sitting in front of their computers all day, aggressively pushing Paul's message, on any given day? Scattered, yes. But when we all combine in an effort, it makes a bigger impact.

Furthermore, it keeps Ron relevant. The media didn't really do much to emphasize Paul being the second highest GOP fundraiser, yet, his moneybombs generally got coverage because you don't find any candidate (outside of maybe Romney) who can come close to raising so much money in such a short period of time.

This is a spark for the fire, it's a spike of energy. We NEED the moneybombs.

reduen
07-20-2011, 09:20 AM
Any other candidate would be ecstatic to have consistent money bombs held by grassroots. This is Ron Pauls main source of funding. We very well might have just funded every single Iowa project if the campaign so desires to use it there. I get people to donate to moneybombs that would normally not do it. Give them up? Nah. Make them better? Sure! We just need to get the creative juices flowing.

I tend to agree with you James. I was pretty excited last night as we approached the top but we are a group of very creative individuals in here. I think that the best can still be yet to come...

hazek
07-20-2011, 09:21 AM
But I would not retire our bread and butter. That's like refusing to play Aces in poker because you won less than your average expectation a few times in a row. You still profited, albeit less, and you still on average make more than enough to make riding out a bad streak worth it.

As a professional poker player I strongly disagree with your analogy because comparing the concept of raising money via the money bomb to aces suggests that this is the most profitable concept possible which I strongly disagree with.

Money bombs were extremely successful for us, they are still profitable but what I'm saying is that because we are acting like obsessed fanatics having faith that this is the best concept available, while all the potential I'm sure is out there is not realized just because we aren't looking for a better method, we are shooting ourselves in the foot and with the current trend I fear we are losing valuable time, time that will cost us all of our chances.

For example just on facebook there are over 400k likes on Ron's page, just $10 from each is 4mil, yet we can barely raise 1? There has to be way to realize this potential and all I'm saying is that we stop and try and figure out how, instead of clinging on to something that doesn't appear to get the job done anymore.

TomtheTinker
07-20-2011, 09:21 AM
nov 5. and dec 1

you do realize it is July correct?

speciallyblend
07-20-2011, 09:23 AM
after Ron Paul is elected president, Deal!!!!!

tremendoustie
07-20-2011, 09:28 AM
I think the "us against the man" theme is key to a successful moneybomb. How about one targeted at particular anti-liberty individuals or groups - for example, mr. bernanke or paulson?

Or, for example how about a moneybomb where we try to raise the amount of money the TSA spends in a single hour (roughly 800K?). Any media reports about the moneybomb would also drive home a powerful message, pointing out the wastefulness of the TSA, and turning more fiscal conservatives against it.

Indiana4Paul
07-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Any other candidate would be ecstatic to have consistent money bombs held by grassroots.

This is spot on, on the other hand Dr. Paul isn't any other candidate and this is not any other political movement.

I'm reminded of a once great philosopher:

Bluto's right. Psychotic... but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons, but that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!

There are about 11k hours between now and the Polls opening on Election Day, 2012. What if we filibustered all 11,000 hours using justin.tv, ustream or another of the live streaming services?

reduen
07-20-2011, 09:31 AM
This is spot on, on the other hand Dr. Paul isn't any other candidate and this is not any other political movement.

I'm reminded of a once great philosopher:

There are about 11k hours between now and the Polls opening on Election Day, 2012. What if we filibustered all 11,000 hours using justin.tv, ustream or another of the live streaming services?

Cool idea....

Raw Liver
07-20-2011, 09:33 AM
PaulStock.

3 Days of sex, drugs, rock and roll, and Ron Paul.

sailingaway
07-20-2011, 09:34 AM
We can make it another 'push' at the end of the quarter, and I like starting it on Constitution day, although that is a lengthy period. But we need to get money to him before the quarter end because results are announced, anyway, so people could just save up for that. people have their minds made up before the next announcement of funding periods.

sailingaway
07-20-2011, 09:37 AM
PaulStock.

We have had Ronstock, and except for the sex and drugs, that was pretty much how it went....

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa299/Utah4RonPaul/RonStock1.jpg

LOL! this has nothing to do with Ronstock, but look at what I found when I was looking for images of it?

http://www.michaelpshipley.com/images/ron-paul-it-all-ends-2012.jpg

reduen
07-20-2011, 09:37 AM
I think the "us against the man" theme is key to a successful moneybomb. How about one targeted at particular anti-liberty individuals or groups - for example, mr. bernanke or paulson?

Or, for example how about a moneybomb where we try to raise the amount of money the TSA spends in a single hour (roughly 800K?). Any media reports about the moneybomb would also drive home a powerful message, pointing out the wastefulness of the TSA, and turning more fiscal conservatives against it.

Nice...

Also, when running an organization one thing that we do to make a project more successful is to give as many people “ownership” of the project as possible. (Instead of just asking one or two people to take something on..) This concept works every time when applied properly.

Rocket80
07-20-2011, 09:38 AM
I think the money bombs are still an effective way to raise more money and do it in a fun way - just as long as we keep our expectations realistic and realize we aren't going to get the $4mil or $6mil day again. Everything is relative - last election was huge in terms of importance, media coverage, passion, so it was more difficult to be relevent and compete with $$

I mean, RP is 2nd in fundraising behind the super millionaire. I think that's some pretty effective fundraising given the circumstances.

Uriah
07-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Yes yes yes. The campaign should move on this idea and spread it far and wide.

I completely agree. We need new tools to continue to grow this movement.

I personally thought the Obama campaign's 'lottery' was a great idea. They sold $5 tickets for a chance to have dinner with Obama. It raised some money but it also expanded the size of his Campaign lists to help spread the message.

One thing the campaign might consider is to expand on this idea and tie them to Iowa and NH. I think Dr. Paul's intellectual approach to politics would lend itself well to this type of campaign.

KramerDSP
07-20-2011, 09:41 AM
I think there are only two money bomb themes that would satisfy the emotional investment aspect. One being "Bring The Troops Home!" and the other being "Abolish the TSA/IRS (one of those two). Just a thought.

PaulConventionWV
07-20-2011, 09:42 AM

What about now?

You're right. We should just give up and let the campaign go broke.

asurfaholic
07-20-2011, 09:44 AM
PaulStock.

Now we are talking

RonPaul101.com
07-20-2011, 09:46 AM

I agree with a lot of what you've written, but I think the focus needs to be on a better replacement and not on a need to discontinue the money bombs. I would hope, early on, both money bombs and whatever ends up being the next great fundraising idea run coincident with each other.

The difficulty is the money bomb concept is so impactful, immediate, measureable, and uniting. It will be tough to find another fundraising idea that is half as good. The lottery idea luncheon is good, and should be explored, but IMO we need another one of "our own" ideas.

libertybrewcity
07-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Ron Paul has said he has never had to make a fundraising phone call. I think the moneybombs are great and should continue each month, but the campaign should find alternative sources. I'm sure there are groups of large donors that would hold fundraisers. I remember Peter Schiff was saying he had people calling him asking if he wanted fundraisers held for him.

johndeal
07-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Here are two potential ideas.

1) Money bomb at home. Everybody invites their friends (including those who are not RP supporters) to their home on a certain day to solicit money and volunteers.

2) Call your friends money bomb. Sort of like Mitt's LV callathon deal but grassroots style.

Either could flame, but they would serve the dual purpose of raising money and getting people to talk about RP to their friends.

tekkierich
07-20-2011, 10:03 AM
For example just on facebook there are over 400k likes on Ron's page, just $10 from each is 4mil, yet we can barely raise 1? There has to be way to realize this potential and all I'm saying is that we stop and try and figure out how, instead of clinging on to something that doesn't appear to get the job done anymore.

I agree. I for one have thought that reoccurring monthly donations would be a wonderful concept to push. First, I imagine the campaign accountants would love it, because they would have a VERY good idea of how much money is coming in over the next several months, and could plan accordingly.
I really think if they minded and pushed their contributor data base correctly they could get 10 - 20k people averaging $50 - $100 a month to the campaign.
This is used all the time by marketers.... It is easier to sell something for 6 easy payments of $50 than a one time shot of $300.

PaulConventionWV
07-20-2011, 10:08 AM
For those of you advocating stopping the moneybomb, don't you realize nobody is offering any good alternatives? It has to be something simple that people can get behind. Until you can find something better, stop calling for the end of the moneybomb.

Secondly, it's only July. Calling the early moneybombs failures because they don't match the excitement of the end of the campaign cycle in 2007 is ludicrous. There is no reason to believe there's not a bunch of money still left out there with all the support Dr. Paul has. That said, I think we need to wait a little while until the next one. The reason the early ones have been so small is that people got caught up in a frenzy and felt the need to have one every couple of weeks. That just won't do because it doesn't allow promotion for the next one and depletes people's ability to do donate for each one.

By all means, find something new and try to apply it, but if it is truly better, it will rise right ot the top. Until then, the moneybombs are our main source of income and to suggest they are a failure simply because of the difference between the ways they were handled in 2007 and now is simply not true. Look at the factors that made the moneybombs bring in less money and fix them. Don't just abandon the idea without suggesting something better. So far, I don't see anything so far that could plausibly outdo the moneybomb in fundraising ability. Some good ideas, but nothing to replace the moneybomb.

trey4sports
07-20-2011, 10:22 AM
until something else emerges we should stick with the moneybomb. Even though we haven't raised as much as we'd like its still been pretty strong and i'm NOT going to try to fix what's already working.

Liberty_Mike
07-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Hazek, excellent post! I've been thinking the exact same thoughts for a while. Thanks for putting these thoughts into words on paper. These money bombs are held way too often, and with no real landmarks as you stated. We need to make the money bombs much more exclusive in terms of frequency and the dates we choose. Also, I don't think I've seen a single promotional video for a money bomb in the 2012 cycle. If we ever want to hit a huge mark again in one day, we need to pick a landmark day, make it nowhere near a time we had a previous money bomb, and get some awesome promotional videos running.

Indiana4Paul
07-20-2011, 10:31 AM
For those of you advocating stopping the moneybomb, don't you realize nobody is offering any good alternatives? It has to be something simple that people can get behind. Until you can find something better, stop calling for the end of the moneybomb.

Secondly, it's only July. Calling the early moneybombs failures because they don't match the excitement of the end of the campaign cycle in 2007 is ludicrous. There is no reason to believe there's not a bunch of money still left out there with all the support Dr. Paul has. That said, I think we need to wait a little while until the next one. The reason the early ones have been so small is that people got caught up in a frenzy and felt the need to have one every couple of weeks. That just won't do because it doesn't allow promotion for the next one and depletes people's ability to do donate for each one.

By all means, find something new and try to apply it, but if it is truly better, it will rise right ot the top. Until then, the moneybombs are our main source of income and to suggest they are a failure simply because of the difference between the ways they were handled in 2007 and now is simply not true. Look at the factors that made the moneybombs bring in less money and fix them. Don't just abandon the idea without suggesting something better. So far, I don't see anything so far that could plausibly outdo the moneybomb in fundraising ability. Some good ideas, but nothing to replace the moneybomb.

This is a really good point.

I don't think it is necessarily about replacing the moneybomb, rather it is about generating new ideas such that moneybombs are not our only tool to ramp up the volume on this movement. The best part about the moneybombs of '07 were the way the media took a step back and said collectively, "Wait a minute, this is a big deal...we haven't seen this before". The money was the vehicle that added voice to the movement.

IMHO, we're thinking about this the wrong way. We need to be focused on creative ways we can promote the IDEAS behind this movement, new tools to spread Dr. Paul's message of Liberty. That is why I proposed grassroots filibuster to be aired live over the Internet from now until the election. 11,000 hours dedicated to protesting Government's infringement on our individual Liberties. A direct protest of big media as well.

edited to add:
The underlying point here is that if we can spread the message of Liberty we can recruit new activists into Dr. Paul's camp. New activists mean new people visiting his site, means new people signing up, means new people in the loop to donate to the moneybombs.

Chieppa1
07-20-2011, 10:42 AM

I completely agree here and mentioned this yesterday. I'm NOT for ending the Moneybombs however. But some fresh ideas should be welcomed. For example: We had national coverage of Dr. Paul vs. Bernanke the other day. Has to be a way to spin that into widespread donations. A majority of people hate Bernanke.

PaulStock.

Tomorrow is good for me.

Chris from Upstate NY
07-20-2011, 10:44 AM
I agree with the moneybombs completely. They are an amazing tool. But on the other hand, like everyone has said, there has been no real promotion for them at all. And the little I have seen was the two days before. I just recently got on RPF. I would never had known otherwise about the Ames moneybomb. I know a lot of people, I mean a lot that aren't on RPF or Daily Paul or any other site. They get a lot of info from Facebook, Youtube, Twitter. And I know even more people that don't even go on the computer period. i just recently have because work supplies me with my own laptop with 3g. How many seniors, parents, and others do you know that would donate if they knew something like this was going on? I don't know all the answers but we need to do some more brainstorming. We need that emotion back. We need that inner passion. When show strength in numbers it feels good and proud.

ForLiberty2012
07-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Ya'll are panicking too much.
1) It's still pretty early... not a lot of "main stream" people are thinking about 2012.... They are thinking about finding a job or this debt ceiling.
2) We are in a depression.... I just don't think most Americans have the time or money to spend on politics right now.
3) These aren't failures.... I honestly wouldn't donate if there weren't money bombs... It's a reason to get excited about donating, and sending a message to the establishment.
4) July 19 was flat out not a smart choice. Not a creative date, corny slogan, and no plan of advertising. There was no way for an average person to remember the date or get excited about it. It only appealed to Ron Paul's core base, which is probably only worth the 500k goal that was set (in my opinion very high given the circumstances). The only disappointment there is that was 500k+ that could have been put toward a successfully put together money bomb, but whatever.

The main point is don't get all sad and down because we didn't get 50 million dollars in one day. There are underlying factors involved and it doesn't have to do with lack of passion/support, or the success of money bombs themselves. I believe in money bombs... they just have to be executed on more strategic, creative, and memorable dates. I heard people want to do one next month already... whyy?? I honestly think we should hold out until November 5th again.... We can play off the success of the first one in 2007. Sequels never do as good but they receive just as much hype, which is what we need. I think we can hype it to the point where it leaks out into mainstream... news coverage of his first money bomb back in 2007 will start... saying we are doing it again... We need the sequel and our video makers can start doing work getting thousands of views on youtube. "November 5, 2007 .... History was made .... This November... History will be re-written .... *key epic music* ...etc etc

tmg19103
07-20-2011, 10:57 AM
RP was the #2 fundraiser last quarter behind Romney and his fat cat corporate dollars.

That tells me the money bombs have been a success. Maybe not as successful as we would like, but it is early and the economy is in the tank.

An Ames straw poll win will wake up the old supporters who are not involved and bring in new ones. New supporters will latch onto the money bomb because it is new and exciting to them.

If RP get a third or lower in the Ames straw poll, it won't matter whether we have money bombs or not, but I expect a win.

Look how much wind the other GOP candidates are sucking financially. RP #2 in fundraising this early tells me the right things are being done.

JK/SEA
07-20-2011, 11:05 AM
OK, as most of you know this is in most probality Ron's last stand running for President. Yeah, i'm assuming. Lets just do what we can and not fret over moneybombs, or second guess strategy. Hell, this time next year who knows where any of us will be. This could be it for moneybombs after this election. .....

oh, and BTW, Ron's total for Ames moneybomb is over 620 grand now and still climbing.

Raw Liver
07-20-2011, 11:06 AM
I honestly think we should hold out until November 5th again.... We can play off the success of the first one in 2007. Sequels never do as good but they receive just as much hype, which is what we need. I think we can hype it to the point where it leaks out into mainstream... news coverage of his first money bomb back in 2007 will start... saying we are doing it again... We need the sequel and our video makers can start doing work getting thousands of views on youtube. "November 5, 2007 .... History was made .... This November... History will be re-written .... *key epic music* ...etc etc

Don't forget about the negative media coverage that was received for the November 5 moneybomb.

ForLiberty2012
07-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Don't forget about the negative media coverage that was received for the November 5 moneybomb.

Media coverage is media coverage. That's what makes the date so memorable and media-coverage-able!

TomtheTinker
07-20-2011, 11:10 AM
The camp def needs to get involved in contacting the few media allies they do have and start asking their help in marketing fund raising events..

but end the money bomb.... no I don't think that would be wise...although new ideas for advertising and modifying these events would be great.

Nate-ForLiberty
07-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Media coverage is media coverage. That's what makes the date so memorable and media-coverage-able!

no. absolutely not. Bad press is not what we want. One of the reasons Ron Paul is such a great candidate is because the media has no dirt on him. Nor should we give them any.

NewRightLibertarian
07-20-2011, 11:11 AM
End the money bombs? Are you insane? These are wonderful for fundraising and gaining press coverage.

Deborah K
07-20-2011, 11:11 AM

What about now?

Read the thread in my signature, you'll notice that this has been a concern for well over a year.

ForLiberty2012
07-20-2011, 11:13 AM
no. absolutely not. Bad press is not what we want. One of the reasons Ron Paul is such a great candidate is because the media has no dirt on him. Nor should we give them any.

I doubt people are gonna get all excited about a date again.... it's already been done on November 5th.... We just gotta keep it going!

Nate-ForLiberty
07-20-2011, 01:37 PM
I doubt people are gonna get all excited about a date again.... it's already been done on November 5th.... We just gotta keep it going!

You are so wrong. please do a forum search to find out why.

RonPaulFanInGA
07-20-2011, 01:58 PM
And yet a majority of the $2 million of what Ron raised last quarter would've probably not been raised without a moneybomb.

Kill the money, kill the fundraising. Simple as that.

The money bomb will stay. People will create them and the campaign surely appreciates them.

VoluntaryAmerican
07-20-2011, 02:00 PM
I got an idea that could solve this problem, although I don't agree with ending the moneybomb--innovating new techniques for success is something I agree with.

My idea is a weekly donation. The theme would be Federal Income Tax:

The idea being a counter to it. Give 1/2 of whatever your income tax was to Ron Paul each week.

So if the Gov. thugs stole $50. Give Ron Paul $25 dollars.

Check it out--the threads called "Liberty Income Tax".

Eric21ND
07-20-2011, 02:17 PM
This is such an ironic thread to make. I believe this was the first Money Bomb where we actually met our goal, and many are calling it a failure lol.

People are social beings, sometimes to do something which goes against their nature, i.e. donating money to a politician, is only possible when others join in and then it becomes exciting and compelling to them. I say a good 50-75% of our donors wouldn't do so on their own, for whatever reason, unless they got that psychological group push.

Eric21ND
07-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Two other interesting dynamics occur during money bomb events.

1. Big money donors get caught up in the excitement and usually double what they originally intend to give, or they double dip and give a second time later in the day.

2. Small money donors get off the fence and actually donate. They see their smaller contribution actually having impact.

Deborah K
07-20-2011, 03:06 PM
I don't think they should end, necessarily. I just think we had too many last time. Maybe just not soooo many.

ForLiberty2012
07-20-2011, 03:09 PM
This is such an ironic thread to make. I believe this was the first Money Bomb where we actually met our goal, and many are calling it a failure lol.

People are social beings, sometimes to do something which goes against their nature, i.e. donating money to a politician, is only possible when others join in and then it becomes exciting and compelling to them. I say a good 50-75% of our donors wouldn't do so on their own, for whatever reason, unless they got that psychological group push.

Two other interesting dynamics occur during money bomb events.

1. Big money donors get caught up in the excitement and usually double what they originally intend to give, or they double dip and give a second time later in the day.

2. Small money donors get off the fence and actually donate. They see their smaller contribution actually having impact.

^ Thread Killer. Close it down, lol

No Free Beer
07-20-2011, 03:32 PM
I disagree. Look at it this way, you had 1 or 2 major money bombs in 07 08, but look how many weve had now...and look at how much weve raised. If we can consistently give Ron 500k or more...why would you stop?

KingRobbStark
07-20-2011, 03:34 PM
I think we should have a contest between each state. It should last for a month, and the winning state will receive some sort of prize, or some type of regonition (like a visit from Ron Paul?). Or it could be a group of states vs another group of states. In my opinion competition is a great motivation.

Indiana4Paul
07-20-2011, 03:40 PM
I think we should have a contest between each state. It should last for a month, and the winning state will receive some sort of prize, or some type of regonition (like a visit from Ron Paul?). Or it could be a group of states vs another group of states. In my opinion competition is a great motivation.

I like. How about a Blue State vs. Red State money bomb to highlight his crossover appeal? Or maybe its Blue State vs. Red State vs. Purple State?

angrydragon
07-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Why not have the campaign do the traditional fundraising and also have the moneybombs from the grassroots' efforts?

TomtheTinker
07-20-2011, 04:00 PM
The Campaign/ron paul could make a personal appeal to media figures and semi famous internet/t.v./radio personalities who support the message to help advertise a money bomb. imo these money bombs are huge successes being so early In the contest. To do away with with are main source of income..don't scratch it evolve the money bomb

mconder
07-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Thread recap = Keep money bombs and think of some other creative ways to raise large sums of money. Hopefully we can have some new constructive fundraising threads now.

newbitech
07-20-2011, 04:32 PM

What about now?

The circumstances you lay out for the success of the 07 money bombs may never happen again, but who is to say a new set of circumstances won't trigger another record breaking day?

Speaking for myself, I have a lot less discretionary money now to contribute than I did in 07.

While I don't necessarily disagree that the grassroots should find something new and exciting, I think retiring the money bomb without that successor would be harmful.

I'd like to see a PM bomb. More symbolism, less fiat ;)

dspectre
07-20-2011, 04:45 PM
Hazek,

I don't think the Money bombs are a failure, but I do agree that it seems like we could take this thing up a notch. I think someone posted how there are tons of likes on facebook, and if those "likes" could be translated even into small donations we could have raised a huge amount of money.

I think one thing powerful about the money bombs is the ticker feedback. It's an emotional way of letting people know they are part of the success of a money bomb.

Money bomb or not, the question is how do you create something as comparable to it?

davidt!
07-20-2011, 04:50 PM
I think the money bombs will once again become very big when the political season kicks into full gear and more people start getting involved. Especially if Ron Paul does very well in Ames and NH. It's still very early on and most people haven't even had the 2012 elections on their minds. Even still we have raised a significant amount of money for the campaign.

newbitech
07-20-2011, 05:09 PM
...(snip) I think one thing powerful about the money bombs is the ticker feedback. It's an emotional way of letting people know they are part of the success of a money bomb.(snip)...

agree. One thing I miss about the old school money bombs was the part of the ticker that actually tracked how many individual donations there were. That was sweet.

FreeMind&Market
07-20-2011, 05:12 PM
For those of us that have maxed out, can one of you wiz kids figure-out how to tie-in donations to Revolution PAC to appear in the "ticker"?

newbitech
07-20-2011, 05:18 PM
For those of us that have maxed out, can one of you wiz kids figure-out how to tie-in donations to Revolution PAC to appear in the "ticker"?

who ever runs the site will need to do that. Donations to the Super Pac won't go through the same payment gateway, and probably won't land in the same account. So unless the campaign tracks it, it will be up to the Super Pac to coordinate internet donations on ticker days and provide a data stream. Then the two streams can be combined.

Super Pac needs to get with the campaign at the very least.

MelissaWV
07-20-2011, 05:22 PM
I disagree. Look at it this way, you had 1 or 2 major money bombs in 07 08, but look how many weve had now...and look at how much weve raised. If we can consistently give Ron 500k or more...why would you stop?

The same people are donating repeatedly. Some of us are already maxed out and it's JULY. Given that it doesn't seem like the campaign wants to come up with any limit-busters, that leaves us funding random Chip-Ins and watching as more people either max out as well, or just run out of money to give.

There need to be new donors. There need to be limit-buster ideas so those who've maxed out can still contribute to the campaign instead of some road trip's beer money. There need to be good, new ideas in general.

The MB's can stick around, obviously, but they are stale and too close together. Save them for the ends of quarters. Save them for major events.

And for what it's worth? I would pay very good money to have Thanksgiving with the Pauls :p I wonder if anyone else would? Now THAT is a $1,000/plate dinner.

Thread recap = Keep money bombs and think of some other creative ways to raise large sums of money. Hopefully we can have some new constructive fundraising threads now.

QFT

dspectre
07-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Just thinking about differences between now and 07....

One of the things that is a little lacking from 07 is the "newness frustration" factor. I think that combination was easy to draw inspiration....

The movement is a little more "grown-up", which is not a bad thing, but we need to be creative again.

Jackie Treehorn
07-20-2011, 05:54 PM
Moneybombs are vital. These short fundraising events rally the troops. It's much more than just money, it's energy for the people. Do you think we'd have people sitting in front of their computers all day, aggressively pushing Paul's message, on any given day? Scattered, yes. But when we all combine in an effort, it makes a bigger impact.

Furthermore, it keeps Ron relevant. The media didn't really do much to emphasize Paul being the second highest GOP fundraiser, yet, his moneybombs generally got coverage because you don't find any candidate (outside of maybe Romney) who can come close to raising so much money in such a short period of time.

This is a spark for the fire, it's a spike of energy. We NEED the moneybombs.

I agree with this. I was on Twitter from wake to rest because there was so much clamor about the moneybomb. There was a decent amount of Facebook action too, and I don't think that level of excitement could have been matched otherwise. When people get tired of the grind of campaigning, another moneybomb is there to rally the troops and get some much-needed cash for Dr. Paul.

johnald
07-20-2011, 07:27 PM
I'm not sure how possible the idea is but, We should combine the money bomb with an all day webcasted music event just like they did for ames but find more celibrities that share our views to attract a huge, diverse group of people who would otherwise never hear President Paul's message.
Maybe if we all send letters to our favorite bands or take a vote on a particular few and concentrate efforts on them we could get some Big names on board.
It seems like all of the previous points are good and just need to be combined into a one-time-never-to be-repeated-super-event like woodstock was.

A few ideas
Mumford and Sons
Dave Matthews Band
Coldplay
Thomas Woods
Peter Schiff
G Edward griffin
Joe Rogan to host
I'm admittedly out of the loop of who's popular right now so please throw your ideas out there!

MarcNY
07-20-2011, 07:48 PM
Many people have also lost their jobs and homes.

pacelli
07-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Like MelissaWV, I'm also maxed out and its July. So I won't be donating to any more RP2012 moneybombs. This is a phenomenon called "Donor Saturation". You've just simply run out of donors. The campaign is going to need more donors, plain and simple.

Perhaps our efforts as a grassroots should be in ATTRACTING NEW DONORS rather than having 20 page arguments coming up with another significant date? As far as retiring the money bomb... I agree that we should continue to be creative. I disagree about retiring it completely.

Another thing that's been under my skin regarding people saying that this money bomb is a failure (or implying that since it didn't make 6 million, it isn't worth having them any more):

It seems a little silly to me to use the ploy, "$1 now is like $5 later, DONATE NOW", and then give absolutely no recognition for the significance of it. If $1 now is like $5 later, then this $620,000 moneybomb actually raised $3,100,000 in the future.

Anyways, I digress. My point is-- when donors are saturated, the campaign stops. WE need to figure out how to get more donors. Stop thinking about the next money bomb ploy, or the totals, and start getting creative about how to attract fresh donors. And space out the moneybombs from now on-- quarterly at most.

anaconda
07-20-2011, 07:59 PM
This is why I have checked out of money bombs. There was also too much decentralized difference of opinions. I found it monumentally frustrating. I decided to donate on my own schedule after the Revolution vs. Romneycare money bomb. I did decide to donate yesterday, however. OP is right. 2007 was the time for 2 big money bombs. That was then, this is now.

FreeMind&Market
07-20-2011, 08:32 PM
One of the fun aspects of the '08 money bombs was watching the ticker climb (and climb fast.) I especially liked watching Ron Paul Graphs. In addition to the above comments about needing more donors, those of us that have maxed out have to find other avenues to contribute. If we had another RonPaulGraphs, the was tied-in with both the official campaign and the various PACs, I imagine the boost to the ticker would add that much more excitement to the money bomb.

When someone comes up with an idea better than a money bomb, it will displace the money bomb. Until then, keep promoting the money bombs. Last time 'round, the big money bombs didn't happen until later in the campaign season.

Personally, however, I feel that you should donate as much as you can as soon as you can rather than wait until the next money bomb. Success breeds success. The more success we have in Iowa and NH, the more the donor base will grow. The sooner the campaign and the PACs have the funds, the sooner they can put it to work to win Iowa and NH.

MJU1983
07-20-2011, 08:43 PM
If money bombs bring in large amounts of cash, why on earth would anyone want to end them?

KingRobbStark
07-20-2011, 10:56 PM
If money bombs bring in large amounts of cash, why on earth would anyone want to end them?

Those with no alternate solutions.

PaulConventionWV
07-20-2011, 11:19 PM
Like MelissaWV, I'm also maxed out and its July. So I won't be donating to any more RP2012 moneybombs. This is a phenomenon called "Donor Saturation". You've just simply run out of donors. The campaign is going to need more donors, plain and simple.

Perhaps our efforts as a grassroots should be in ATTRACTING NEW DONORS rather than having 20 page arguments coming up with another significant date? As far as retiring the money bomb... I agree that we should continue to be creative. I disagree about retiring it completely.

Another thing that's been under my skin regarding people saying that this money bomb is a failure (or implying that since it didn't make 6 million, it isn't worth having them any more):

It seems a little silly to me to use the ploy, "$1 now is like $5 later, DONATE NOW", and then give absolutely no recognition for the significance of it. If $1 now is like $5 later, then this $620,000 moneybomb actually raised $3,100,000 in the future.

Anyways, I digress. My point is-- when donors are saturated, the campaign stops. WE need to figure out how to get more donors. Stop thinking about the next money bomb ploy, or the totals, and start getting creative about how to attract fresh donors. And space out the moneybombs from now on-- quarterly at most.

You're missing something. We are nowhere near the saturation point. Think about it: We had two huge moneybombs in 2007 totalling over 10million dollars and something like 18 million for the quarter (don't remember the exact number). As of yet in this campaign, we have only raised a bit over $5million. We have way more support now than we did in 2007, and people simply aren't aware yet. We have PLENTY of money left from the remaining donors. That's why the moneybombs should still happen. We need to tap our resources to the fullest extent possible before moving on to the next gimmick. IMO, the moneybomb cannot be completely replaced. That said, it's still important to get new donors. Nobody's arguing with that. What I'm saying, is that we need to freak out a little less. We're not in panic mode. We have lots of potential donors. We just need to figure out how to get them to give more money. I think moneybombs are still the most effective tool we have for that.

Eric21ND
07-20-2011, 11:37 PM
I have a feeling there's a lot of money on the sidelines waiting to jump in once the Paul campaign starts to take off and the Presidential race heats up.

pacelli
07-21-2011, 05:51 AM
You're missing something. We are nowhere near the saturation point. Think about it: We had two huge moneybombs in 2007 totalling over 10million dollars and something like 18 million for the quarter (don't remember the exact number). As of yet in this campaign, we have only raised a bit over $5million. We have way more support now than we did in 2007, and people simply aren't aware yet. We have PLENTY of money left from the remaining donors. That's why the moneybombs should still happen. We need to tap our resources to the fullest extent possible before moving on to the next gimmick. IMO, the moneybomb cannot be completely replaced. That said, it's still important to get new donors. Nobody's arguing with that. What I'm saying, is that we need to freak out a little less. We're not in panic mode. We have lots of potential donors. We just need to figure out how to get them to give more money. I think moneybombs are still the most effective tool we have for that.

I don't disagree at all.

Jackie Treehorn
07-21-2011, 07:01 AM
Right, if I had to guess, I'd say VERY few people are even in the ballpark of maxing out. Hopefully I'm not wrong.

Jackie Treehorn
07-21-2011, 07:03 AM
And for what it's worth? I would pay very good money to have Thanksgiving with the Pauls :p I wonder if anyone else would? Now THAT is a $1,000/plate dinner.

This.

No Free Beer
07-21-2011, 07:57 AM
This is a perfect reason why we should NOT retire it...

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20110721/NEWS09/107210319/Iowa-Politics-Insider-Paul-rakes-in-money-for-straw-poll-effort

IRONCLAD
07-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Hey folks, remember this. The money bomb is an old idea to us, but to a new Ron Paul supporter it's a new idea. I say we keep the money bomb, but have less of them and have them on a special day.

The money bomb works, if it isn't broke, don't fix it. I find myself sitting around watching the ticker reach it's goal. BTW, by watching the ticker, I was able to find a group of Ron Paul suuporters by seeing one name pop up in my area. Did a facebook search of the name and found him.

IRONCLAD
07-21-2011, 08:51 AM
OH yes, we are the only supporters who can pull this off, NOT ONE other person who is running for president can pull this off. So why get rid of it?

If you say the money bomb is an old idea, so then is this fourm.... so why not get rid of this forum, it's played out...right? I don't think so. I don't believe this web-site will ever get as many people as it once did back in 2008. So, should we get rid of something that works? NO! If you do a google search on forums for anyone running for president, we are the only ones worth it's weight in gold. No one else can touch us with forums or money bombs.

IRONCLAD
07-21-2011, 08:54 AM
wording

IRONCLAD
07-21-2011, 08:57 AM
I agree with this. I was on Twitter from wake to rest because there was so much clamor about the moneybomb. There was a decent amount of Facebook action too, and I don't think that level of excitement could have been matched otherwise. When people get tired of the grind of campaigning, another moneybomb is there to rally the troops and get some much-needed cash for Dr. Paul. I agree as well.

IRONCLAD
07-21-2011, 09:06 AM
And another thing. The money bombs are our (grassroots) thing, not the campaign of Ron Paul. So why get rid of something that works? Ron Paul wanted from his "grassroot supporters" $500K for Iowa and we delivered. Ron Paul doesn't have the "fatcat" supporters like Mit Robama, Ron Paul relies on us and not the fat cats.

If you think this is an old idea, then come up with something new that no one has thought about yet. Do you remember the Ron Paul BLIMP?

IndianaPolitico
07-21-2011, 09:10 AM
I don't think we should get rid of the Money Bombs, we just need to expand our fundraising. Ron Paul is the master of the Money Bomb, no other candidate can fundraise on the internet like he can. But can you imagine how much money the campaign could bring in, if he did some more traditional fundraisers? If we did both the Money Bombs, and traditional fundraisers, there would be no stopping us!

IRONCLAD
07-21-2011, 09:42 AM
RP was the #2 fundraiser last quarter behind Romney and his fat cat corporate dollars.

That tells me the money bombs have been a success. Maybe not as successful as we would like, but it is early and the economy is in the tank.

An Ames straw poll win will wake up the old supporters who are not involved and bring in new ones. New supporters will latch onto the money bomb because it is new and exciting to them.

If RP get a third or lower in the Ames straw poll, it won't matter whether we have money bombs or not, but I expect a win.

Look how much wind the other GOP candidates are sucking financially. RP #2 in fundraising this early tells me the right things are being done.

I agree